Camaro FPR on 97 2.2OHV? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Camaro FPR on 97 2.2OHV?
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:41 PM
I'm in the process of gathering info. about the 2.2 OHV Adj. FPR, I searched and found that 92-96 Corvette LT1 and 93 Camaro LT1 FPR's are direct fit for the 2.2 OHV. My questions are: where can I find a good company that sells them, do I need to cut their original spring to lessen the pressure?, can you add a fuel pressure gauge to it, or elsewhere along the fuel system ? (I heard) this mod will make your injectors run strong, will I also run too rich?

I have the bible of the cavalier (Haynes Repair Manual) and I'm familiar w/ the FPR removal and install, but can someone post pics on the aftermarket FPR install?

Thnx for any feedback.

Re: Camaro FPR on 97 2.2OHV?
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:13 AM
If the Haynes manual is your bible, you might as well worship at the Church of Chaos. The Factory manual is the book to have. Even the Chilton's books are bettter. imo.

The LT1 regulator will install on the 97 rail. I don't remember whether you need the Corvette regulator or the Camaro / Impala regulator (they're different). Will you have to cut the spring? Depends on what pressure you need to run. Will it run too rich? Not if you use the correct pressure and tuning.

I don't see any mods in your registry which suggest a need for more fuel.

-->Slow
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:48 AM
If you goto most parts store chains web sites, you'll find the part numbers are the same. The housings on the FPRs are not designed to be opened, so I seriously doubt you would need to cut the spring.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:13 AM
Hey mad jack, I seen your mods, your very serious about NA performance, kewep up the good work. I like your "I can fabricate it myself" way of thinking. How did you install that gauge on the left side of the fuel rail? What part number should I get at any parts store that is consistant with the 93 Camaro LT1 direct fit? And how would I go about adjusting the prerssure of the ADJ. FPR , what degree of psi is recommended for a somewhat stock set up like mine? I plan to install a balzer fuel pump in the near future also.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:12 PM
BTW, if you ever do want to cut open a regulator (say, to build your own adjustable unit) the hardest part to find is the clamp to put it all back together. Well, I'm not sure where you'll find it but the 2000 Daewoo Nubira 2.0L engine has exactly the correct clamp on the OE (made by GM) FPR.

-->Slow
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:15 PM
Alfredo turbokav wrote:Hey mad jack, I seen your mods, your very serious about NA performance, kewep up the good work. I like your "I can fabricate it myself" way of thinking. How did you install that gauge on the left side of the fuel rail? What part number should I get at any parts store that is consistant with the 93 Camaro LT1 direct fit? And how would I go about adjusting the prerssure of the ADJ. FPR , what degree of psi is recommended for a somewhat stock set up like mine? I plan to install a balzer fuel pump in the near future also.

The fitment of the gauge was pretty simple, I drilled and tapped the end of the integral fuel rail ('97 & older 2.2L) for 1/8" NPT, used a hardware store galvanized 90 degree 1/8" NPT male/female fitting, screwed it into the end of the rail and screwed the gauge into the fitting.

You don't really need any more fuel if your running N/A with the stock rev limiter. The stock system should handle that level of power (GM did engineer a certain amount of redundancy to handle the extremes of the operating parameters). If you are going to do a moderate amount of nitrous or boost you would need to upgrade the fuel system. The necessary mods can be found in the appropriate forums. For more aggressive N/A set-ups, you would need to monitor your A/F ratio, injector duty cycle, MAP readings, IAT, etc to know just how much of an increase of fuel would be needed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search