Help me help you! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help me help you!
Monday, February 26, 2007 7:31 AM
As many of you know I make and design pulleys. My problem is, I CAN NOT, repeat cannot, find anyone locally to manufacture my pulleys. NO one wants to program their CNC's to make these pulleys. They will quote, but when push comes to shove they all say it just not worth their time and effort. They can make more money elsewhere with less effort.

I do not give them a price to abide by or anything. Just here are some prints, how much would it cost to make X number, and what is the turn around time. They all quote about the same price and turnaround time, but they just do not want to put the time into programing the machines, or just don't want to deal with someone that is not a company.

So, I then asked work if they could sub-contract the pulleys for me. Again, no one wants to manufacture the pulleys, even current vendors. Hell they are not that difficult design, all the shops say they can make them, but they just do not want to.
What the hell....

Any help from anyone would be great. If you know or work at a machine shop that is capable of making these parts please speak up. I tried to contact turbo tech racing, but have heard nothing back I Pm'ed Aaron Harris, emailed him at Aaron@turbotechracing.com, and used the the contact us link on turbo tech racing, and have heard nothing back from anyone. That has been about two weeks now. Aaron any help would be great. Still much love, and no hard feelings.

I want to offer these to the j-body community for all of our benefits, but I guess I need some help from somewhere.... All my leads and ideas have been beating to death...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: Help me help you!
Monday, February 26, 2007 10:01 AM
http://www.sharlaymachine.com/

give these guys a shout. they race in the same SCCA region as me and have done some small one off's for some parts on our karts. They're good guys and do quality work. i'm not sure how many units you're looking for but they're a small company (father/son). write them and see, they're located just outside Syracuse NY. Tell them Brian Heffron from the SCCA sent you over. I can't make you any promises but it's worth a shot I guess.

PS i know nothing about machining so if they dont have the stuff to do it like you need to, sorry haha.

Brian

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:22 AM
You've got mail.

Monday, February 26, 2007 12:41 PM
Thank you both. I give them both a call.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:40 AM
Sorry, I did get the one PM, however no emails... I wouldn't mind reviewing the prints and seeing if this is something we can do. We are just very backed up and working on expanding our equipment again. Try sending another email to Aaron@TurboTechRacing.com and we will see what we can do for you

We are here to help this community, and this looks like an awesome product and we would be glad to help out if we can.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:56 AM
Aaron, I will reformat an email and send it to you.... later today.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:45 PM
Give the guys at Level Zero Motorsports a call, they have a CNC machine and might just be able todo this for ya

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:55 AM
Aaron email has been sent.
Thanks again.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:20 AM
Any update.... Aaron

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:10 AM
You might also try Fast Forward Performance - http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/ out of Colorado Springs, he does cnc parts for guys like us. He's done a bunch of group buys for the L-body and older J-body guys and he usually takes the time to r&d on his own, so if you've got a design ready Michael might be your guy, plus they already offer a lot of underdrive pullies. Michael (at) fastfwdperformance.com is his email.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:31 AM
Send them my way... I have been using the same CNC Machine company for the past 5 years. I have been making pullies for different companies for the past 3 years as their own label. Long as I have prints, I can have pullies with in 3-5 business days in my hands and soon in yours.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:27 PM
Karo whats your email address so I can send you the information.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:56 PM
Send it to both karo@carcustoms.net AND kmahdessian@gmail.com

Thanks

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 1:21 PM
Karo emails sent.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:14 PM
Karo is awesome, I can't wait to see this unfold =)

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:16 PM
I could do it no problem, let me know if you would like me to make them.

Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 6:29 PM
any machine shop that turns any work down is being absolutely stupid.
I can honestly say the shop I work at will not turn any work down if it can fit in our machines and we have the tooling. From .875" bushings to 22" air compressor cylinder liners... I cannot believe that they are being so simple minded. Fact is that if you order 4, and they do well, and everyone is happy, next time you order 8, then 16, then a hundred. Simple math. Not to mention that any price quote they give you should include the cost of programming and setting up these parts, plus a shop rate. doesn't matte who they are making parts for, long as the money is green, and in advance. Blows my mind how much hastle they are giving. If none of that works either, you can always try something like a technical school. I know Ranken Tech. in St. Louis does parts every year for people with similar situations. Not sure the complete details of these circumstances, but I was involved in 2 different parts, 1was a piece to an oil filter that noone makes any more for an antique JD Tractor, and one was a set of four custom spindles for a local racing team that was a school sponsored deal. Some engineering class was making a car, and we made them spindles. Just a thought if the current problem persists.
Thursday, March 08, 2007 3:50 AM
Joseph Thole wrote:any machine shop that turns any work down is being absolutely stupid.
I can honestly say the shop I work at will not turn any work down if it can fit in our machines and we have the tooling. From .875" bushings to 22" air compressor cylinder liners... I cannot believe that they are being so simple minded. Fact is that if you order 4, and they do well, and everyone is happy, next time you order 8, then 16, then a hundred. Simple math. Not to mention that any price quote they give you should include the cost of programming and setting up these parts, plus a shop rate. doesn't matte who they are making parts for, long as the money is green, and in advance. Blows my mind how much hastle they are giving. If none of that works either, you can always try something like a technical school. I know Ranken Tech. in St. Louis does parts every year for people with similar situations. Not sure the complete details of these circumstances, but I was involved in 2 different parts, 1was a piece to an oil filter that noone makes any more for an antique JD Tractor, and one was a set of four custom spindles for a local racing team that was a school sponsored deal. Some engineering class was making a car, and we made them spindles. Just a thought if the current problem persists.

I believe my main problem is that Fidanza has @!#$ all the machine shops around here over, so they do not want to make any after market parts.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:23 PM
Karo,
Did you get my email with my fax number? But I am leaving work here in 20 minutes.... Give me a call when you get a chance.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:51 PM
I wouldn't buy another pulley from MD LD9 if my life depended on it...

*hears someone cock a gun behind his head*

Actually, I still have the first batch you ever released to us. Love em I wish I could somehow repeat business.. but... I'm running out of pulleys to replace. Maybe you can make an aftermarket tensioner? haha. I'm honestly surprised you're getting treated like this. Then again, people are lazy and they'd probably have done a @!#$ty job on the pulleys anyways.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:00 PM
Miles Prower (Formerly Nari) wrote:I wouldn't buy another pulley from MD LD9 if my life depended on it...
*hears someone cock a gun behind his head*
Actually, I still have the first batch you ever released to us. Love em I wish I could somehow repeat business.. but... I'm running out of pulleys to replace. Maybe you can make an aftermarket tensioner? haha. I'm honestly surprised you're getting treated like this. Then again, people are lazy and they'd probably have done a @!#$ty job on the pulleys anyways.

Thanks for the...... yeah.
Karo seems like he is going to get the job done. He seems very responsive, and understanding.
I'm glad he will be on board, at least it looks like he is on board. We still need to find out price, and he still doesn't have my prints yet.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:52 AM
so whats the word? any updates?

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:01 AM
No idea, haven't heard back from Karo or Aaron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:02 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:28 AM
My offer stands, I have a shop which does small runs for vey good prices. Most shops do not have profit on stuff this small, they need thousands and lots of volume to run these expensive machines.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:44 AM
Small update.
PM from Aaron...
Mike,
It will be some time, I am so backed up right now on the CNC, as we have a few contract jobs we are working on, and some of out other products use it, mostly the new 2.0L cobalt upper engine mount.
As soon as things clear up we will be in contact.
Thanks
Aaron

Chris yours might be my next try, still waiting on word from Karo.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search