HELP Please HO Swap problem - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP Please HO Swap problem
Monday, February 26, 2007 8:42 PM
Started to do HO manifold swap yesterday but ran into some supply problems Longer bolts for one

Now everything is installed

All vac lines have been checked and re checked

All bolts are tight on engine and tb to manifold

My idle wont drop the lowest it dropped to was 1600 once after trying a different 2.3 IAC but went back up again the next start up

So i read on a a swap guide on the Quad 4 forums that i had to use my 2.4 IAC with the 2.3 plunger which is whats in there now but it still idles at 3000 RPM and when i start the car it starts off at around 4000 then down to 3000ish

My car was getting rather hot so ive given up until i seek some more advice from someone

Any and all advice would help alot as im stuck without a car until this is fixed

Thank you all

Re: HELP Please HO Swap problem
Monday, February 26, 2007 8:46 PM
you could have a vacuum leak somewhere

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, February 26, 2007 8:51 PM
Dont hear a leak and we have checked the vac lines about 5 times

Could be a hidden leak somewhere though

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:36 PM
I had this exact same problem. I'm assuming you are using the 56mm TB off the 2.3 right? If you are make sure you are using ALL the 2.3 sensors, the 2.3 IAC and the 2.3 TPS, and make sure that you have the throttle cable on the last hole on the throttle wheel one more thing, are you using the Chris Fontana Flange? After I made sure that I had all my bolts tight, and my vaccum lines secure. I was still running at 3,000 RPM or higher there were times when I was hitting the rev limiter. I found out my bracket was bent up wards, makeing the throttle cable tight. I pushed it down a bit and started the car and whola! The car was idleing perfect. Make sure that your throttle bracket is not bent or miss shapen. If that is not the case you might need new sensor on the TB. This is if you are 100% sure there are no vaccum leaks. One way to test if there is a vaccum leak is take off your intake. Start the car and put your hand over the TB to close off the opening. If the car still runs you have a vaccum leak somewhere. If it dies there are no leaks. Hope this helps you.

In the planning stage for an all American TRD Cavalier.
Monday, February 26, 2007 9:39 PM
I say check the throttle cable...I Had that problem too lol. I almost got frustrated for a minute when that happened.

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:59 PM
I am beyond frustrated at the moment

Thanks for all the ideas

Its to late to go out there and mess with it tonight but i will resume tomrorow

How long did you have to let it idle for it to drop down after installation?

What does it normally idle at with this swap?

Yes i am using the 2.3 tb ill have to take the plunger back off my 2.4 housing and put it all back to 2.3 again

Keep the ideas rolling

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:14 PM
Mine idled odd for a few seconds and then acted normal once i got the throttle cable issue fixed...I say it might idle 50-100 rpms higher then it did before(around 675ish)

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:18 PM
I am using a 90 GTZ throttle bracket right now cause i couldnt get my hands on a newer one until tomorrow

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:29 PM
Get pics when your all done

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:30 PM
Another side not is

I had to borrow my buddies 2.3 GTZ throttle cable bracket for my 94 style TB

I know its not the exact one i need but i couldnt get it until tomorrow

Could that be a major problem thats causing this

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:33 PM
It could if its pulling on the throttle and the blade is open.

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:36 PM
Didnt seem to be

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:25 PM
The SOHC throttle bracket I use was too close to the butterfly for the J-body cable, I asume it would be the same for the GTZ as well. So if anything, there is too much slack, and therefore not causing your problem. Maybe you have a bad tps (check voltages at 0% and 100% throttle with the engine off and the key turned), or perhaps there is something wrong with the IAC. I would lean more towards the IAC though.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:23 AM
Which side of the TB is your map sensor hooked up to?, and what ports are your other vacuum tubes hooked to?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:06 AM
I dont think its the bracket because there is slack in the throttle cable. im still thinking vac leak somewhere around the manifold - head areas. maybe tonight we will block off the TB see if she still runs.

oh and another thing... I unpluged the IAC during idle and it still ran the same No change in idol at all... is this normal?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:12 PM
Got the new 2.3 bracket today from a 95 that will go on soon

MAP sensor is hooked up to the front of the manifold not on the TB

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:54 PM
first of all, you can use your 2.4 bracket on the swap. thats what i did. i tried to do the swap without relocating my battery, and it didn't work out, i idled way to high, and their was slack in the line. once i relocated the battery, i was able to properly run the line and it idled like stock.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:09 PM
Ok its not Idling at 3000 anymore

After leaving the battery off all night i started the car and it was idling around 1100 ish

But

If i punch the gas upto 3000 rpm and let off the idle goes down to about 1500 then starts to bouce from 1500-2800 ish for about 20 secs then levels off at 1100ish again

I can do this over and over with no change

Any ideas about this ?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:25 PM
make sure you ground is connected.
i had a problem a long time ago when i did my ho swap i for got to hook the ground that comes off the battery to the battery tray.
Did the same thing.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:24 AM
i dont know if this will be any help or not but ill shoot anyway i just done a engine swap and i pinched a iac valve wire and mine was doin everything yours is exactly hope that might help
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:58 AM
well, wasnt that line tugged on the first night Darren?? I think thats what it could be... look into it... sorry i didnt go last night... ended up pre drinking then going to the bar and i wasnt driving.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:00 PM
OK here is the latest

We changed the TB gasket on the 56 mm tb again

Also i swapped out the TPS sensor with another 56mm one and the IAC sensor from a 95 Grand AM with a LO Manifold

My traction control light went off finally and also the engine light went off after a couple mins

Started car and it was idling like a champ around 700 RPM

I said wow fixed that but then said ill try my 2.4 IAC with the 56 mm plunger in it,,, after swapping it and starting the car i had no gauges at all said better swap that back and it was fine again

Said thats that and went to bed

Today went to drive my Girlfriend to work and it drove good Stopped off on the way home and then got back in the car and restarted it Car stalled which ive read is normal

Drove to the light and the car stalled again, Started car and damn traction control light came back on and my idle started to bounce between 500-1000

Started to drive and everytime i let off the gas my car would bounce between 1000-1500

Any ideas guys? Should i just go back to the 2.4 TB

How do i properly take out the plunger from an IAC?

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:39 PM
And it gets weirder

I just went out again and after pulling out of my driveway the Traction control light went off

And the car ran good again

Any thoughts at all?

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:30 PM
Iam telling you check that ground mine would stall at stops and abs would act up all i did was hook the ground back up and fix the problem.
The ground coming of the battery and hooking to the battery tray it may sound stupid but check it.

The only time it wouldnt act up is when it was to the floor.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:29 PM
Im pretty sure that it was hooked up again but i will double check for tightness tomorrow

I know the stalling is normal with the swap until i can get HP tuners done to it

Anyone else have any other suggestions on fixes or things to check

I will also clean the IAC a little better

Thanks again

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search