mini air breathers... use oil or no? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mini air breathers... use oil or no?
Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:25 PM
I just got a mini air breather from K&n for my pcv valve on my valve cover, as i bought a RDFabs intake with no hose nipple. the mini air breather came with oil like most of the K&n air filters do, my question is if it is going on my pcv valve on the valve cover do i still need to put this special oil on the filter?? thanks guys

Re: mini air breathers... use oil or no?
Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:40 PM
i clean mine just like i do my K&N...

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:32 AM
Hahahha, considering its air comming out of them and not in. Nice way to waste your damn time

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:50 PM
so it goes on the valve cover not the throttle body?
Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:18 PM
LOL.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:19 PM
I hope your joking! It goes on the valve cover, and don't waste your money. It's not helping your engine breathe enough, that's why you have the hose from the throttle body cover to the valve cover, it can get mor air faster and more efficient.

Watch out there nah!
Thursday, February 15, 2007 4:31 AM
Phlatcav...its not a waste of time...the air coming out of them is dirty and it does blacken and start to clog the filter, and a clogged crankcase vent is not a good thing...

IGOPOGO...if its not enough then why do many,many carbed musclecars have just a vent filter on the valve cover???? the hose wasnt put there to help suck the air out, it was put there to retrieve the gasses and burn them in the combustion process...threoretically keeping the oil soaked gasses from harming the environment...

Join verbalwarfare.com

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:11 PM
lol owned igopogo
Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:39 PM
so umm nobody answered my question do i use the oil with the breather filter or no? lol
Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:16 PM
You don't need to oil the breather. Reason being that your crankcase with push air/oil out through the breather, but it won't suck in like an air filter.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 11:49 PM
Gay response to justify a retarded mod. Yay

Friday, February 16, 2007 3:56 AM
ya know its people like him ^ that ruin this site and the J-Body scene as a whole. Instead of postin with helpful advice and experience, they cruise this site solely to flame people and make themselves feel "cool" . Its the typical childish, highschool garbage that causes many to sell their J and buy a better car with a more mature following.

Join verbalwarfare.com

Friday, February 16, 2007 5:58 AM
Ya know its people like him ^ that do retarded things like mini breathers and consider it a mod. Then spout off false information to try and justify buying a usless part. And that brings us to the real reason people leave JBO... Realy retarded false information .

Here comes the part where he rambles on about it not being false info...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 16, 2007 6:05 AM

Friday, February 16, 2007 6:27 AM
So you're saying...you're helping the environment with your little filter? If you want to do that, just fill your trunk with soil, and plant a tree, so that it grows through your trunk, creating oxygen...PROBLEM SOLVED!

Friday, February 16, 2007 7:04 AM
naa...im done with ya...not worth any more of my time...

Join verbalwarfare.com

Friday, February 16, 2007 7:46 AM
quitter

Friday, February 16, 2007 6:33 PM
I've got a cool little breather on my DSM...the turbo didn't like the oil in the intake so much

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, February 16, 2007 7:46 PM
Well you know, when your engine is not running, you don't want dirt falling in the engine, so you do want something there. A paper filter would clog pretty easy, so an oiled cotten element isn't a bad idea here. Buying one of those breathers means that you no longer need a hose running into your intake like it was stock - and thus no longer sucking that blow-by as well as oil etc into your intake system - which does dirty it up plenty(and note that the PCV valves does also contribute to this but at a later part in the intake system).

Plus those things are only like $8 - $10 a piece. It's not exactly a "waste of money." It always amazes me what people consider a " waste of money" or a "good investment." They'll pay $40,000+ for some vehicles(obviously not for an econobox but still those are pricey enough), and decide that - $7/quart for full sythetic oil and $10 for a GOOD oil filter - is too much to spend(to protect your $40,000+ investment). Some will pay $200-$300 for an intake(aka a freakin pipe w/filter), buy a full exhaust, and maybe and a MSD ignition, and then decide that $6-$12/per Iridium spark plug is too much to spend. Look if you spend $2400 on a body kit and even more on an exotic paint job, then maybe you don't wan't to buy the cheapest possible brake components and those $25 tires from Sears - because maybe having a GOOD brake system and tires with GOOD traction and handling might just save you from getting in some accidents(ruining your body kit and paint if not more. Hell the difference might save your life(or someonse elses).[/rant] Anyways...

Yes your PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve does take blow-by in so the breather isn't doing much most of the time, except consider that the PCV valve uses intake manifold vacuum to suck out blow-by(and yes this is primarily an emissions thing), now consider how it has basically zero intake manifold vacuum @ WOT(the PCV valve is closed at this point), furthermore @ WOT the engine is making more blow-by than ever, in comes a higher need ventilation than ever... and so in comes crankcase ventilation - which while factory is using the vacuum available in the intake pipe (via the connecting pipe from the valve cover) during WOT. If you think that sucking blow-by is especially good for power I have news for you(not that it makes a huge diff). Of course with a mini-cone filter instead, that blowby is just vented into the atmosphere.

As for the original poster's question - sure go ahead and clean it if you like. Why not? You probably already have a cleaning kit for your (assumably) oiled cotton type filter already, just use it if for that task if your mini air breather is too dirty for your taste.

Phlatcav wrote:Then spout off false information to try and justify buying a usless part. And that brings us to the real reason people leave JBO... Realy retarded false information .
"Useless part" you say? People sprouting off "really retarded false information" you say? You don't say...

The next time you open your mouth, make sure that you don't create enough room for your foot.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Friday, February 16, 2007 8:03 PM
Bastardking3000 wrote:

Phlatcav wrote:Then spout off false information to try and justify buying a usless part. And that brings us to the real reason people leave JBO... Realy retarded false information .
"Useless part" you say? People sprouting off "really retarded false information" you say? You don't say...

The next time you open your mouth, make sure that you don't create enough room for your foot.

Next time you open your mouth be sure to spit the jizz out of it . Mini breathers pointless... NO not if you have a turboed car and dont want to run a catch can. Mini breather a useless ricer mod if all you have is an intake and think it looks cool to add on on your pvc AND the port on your intake... YES . Oiling your breather filter if its ON your pcv pointless YES.

Im done debating mini breathers, everyone is gonna have there little opinion in the matter uneducated or not. Good enuff?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 16, 2007 8:08 PM

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:10 PM
Phlatcav wrote:
Bastardking3000 wrote:

Next time you open your mouth be sure to spit the jizz out of it . Mini breathers pointless... NO not if you have a turboed car and dont want to run a catch can. Mini breather a useless ricer mod if all you have is an intake and think it looks cool to add on on your pvc AND the port on your intake... YES . Oiling your breather filter if its ON your pcv pointless YES.

Im done debating mini breathers, everyone is gonna have there little opinion in the matter uneducated or not. Good enuff?

Yeah yeah very nice insult, blah blah. Not gonna make me mad because I'm not homo-phobic there bud, but nice try. As for mini-filters, there is a point to them - I went into plenty of detail on that in my post. "Useless ricer mod" - that is opinion and can only be backed up by other opinions. I stated facts, that can be backed up by any reputable automotive knowledge source. But go ahead and find one inaccuracy in what I said. I'd like to see it.

Furthermore, not everyone uses them to make their engine look "cool." So simplifying intake construction for the DIYer(do-it-yourself-er), and keeping your intake and throttle body clean, that is for "ricers?" That term "ricer"always gets thrown around by everyone who hates this and that on cars - it's universally just used to insult everything you hate. It is a purely subjective and completely ignorant phase.

Quote:

NO not if you have a turboed car and dont want to run a catch can. Mini breather a useless ricer mod if all you have is an intake and think it looks cool to add on on your pvc AND the port on your intake... YES
That is not what you originally said - "and justify buying a usless part" is what you said. Since when do "useless parts" have uses? That is major back peddling on your part. Also, "If all you have is an intake" - then it still simplifies constructing that intake and keeps things that much cleaner in your intake(vs stock setup), no matter what you're running. Plus, if "compressed air + oil = mess" is your only concern(but for some odd reason you want a stock style breather setup), then you could just as easily put a check valve in (before or after that stock connecting pipe) to stop boost from entering your crankcase. Obviously that would involve a charge pipe being cut and a bung welded on, and is pretty pointless to do, but it is an alternative if you really hate those filters that damn bad.

I said NOTHING of replacing your PCV valve with one of them, now did I? Nor did I notice anyone in this post mentioning such a thing. I'm curious just which end(or both?) of the PCV valve that you would put a filter on, because if you're opening up the intake manifold hole (and putting a filter on that), you would be bypassing your throttle and allowing way too much air in. Your RPMs would be way too high at all times needless to say - talk about a vacuum leak! If you're filtering the other end(valve cover), then obviously you need to plug and seal the hole that the PCV plugged into for the intake manifold. There would really be no point to that either since you'd just have two filtered openings doing the same thing. No, I highly doubt anyone is performing this "ricer mod" as you call it. When and where did you even think up such a stupid thing?

Those mini-filters are pre-oiled, and if you where going to properly clean them, you do exactly the same thing as when you clean a standard reusable ( oiled cotton filament ) air filter. If you clean it, and do not replace the oil, then yes it is then useless. Tell me, do you not replace the oil after cleaning a K&N etc? If you don't then I feel sorry for your piston rings.

Quote:

Everyone is gonna have there little opinion in the matter uneducated or not.
I must disagree. While people - who are uneducated on a given subject - are usually going to disagree with each other as well as with educated people, those educated on a given subject will not be majorly disagreeing with anyone except the uneducated. Educated people have facts. When you have facts, opinions are unnecessary. Intelligent people when presented with the same facts are going to draw roughly the same conclusions based off of those facts, whatever they may be.

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:22 PM
Hahaha, you mean to tell me that I pissed you off so bad you typed all that .

Thanks

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:24 PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 16, 2007 10:36 PM

Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:39 PM
Phlatcav wrote:Hahaha, you mean to tell me that I pissed you off so bad you typed all that .

Thanks
Bastardking3000 wrote:No its not uncommon for me to write alot. Perhaps it's uncommon for you to read alot? I dunno. But I at least know you didn't read very far in, or you would have seen this -
me wrote:Yeah yeah very nice insult, blah blah. Not gonna make me mad because I'm not homo-phobic there bud, but nice try.

Now you say that you pissed me off and yet you're the one who felt the need send me this...
Quote:

Date: 2007-02-16 22:26:02
Subject: Hahahha

Your such a tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess when you can't argue with facts, just exchange meaningless immature insults. To each there own I guess. Also, if and when I actually care what your opinion of me is, you'll be the first to know, ok?

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:06 PM
quoting own3s you

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:09 PM
Phlatcav wrote:quoting own3s you
...And spelling owns you, if you really want to get into all that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search