Eco swap..gas tank? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco swap..gas tank?
Monday, October 16, 2006 10:01 PM
Well i have a 99 sunfore 2.2 and im doing a eco swap. Now i know i need the plasic tank ..but im wondering if i can use the 2000 and up tank or do i need the tank out of a 2003 and up ? Also the sender and pump assembly i have is out of a 20003 will i fit a dif tank? please help..phil

Re: Eco swap..gas tank?
Monday, October 16, 2006 10:53 PM
2000+

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Monday, October 16, 2006 11:00 PM
Hmmm... i dunno. I did the 2000 conversion to my 99, and used the 99 metal tank and sender. The wires were the same.

The thing you might have issues with... is the evap canister and the various hoses... tho I think they're in the back on the 99's, like the 00-05's. So maybe you'll be just fine after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 16, 2006 11:00 PM

Monday, October 16, 2006 11:25 PM
I think the problem is with the newer gas tanks, is that they have a different fuel sending unit. So in order to use the newer pcm you need the newer fuel sending unit that will read correctly with the pcm.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:02 AM
Philly D wrote:Well i have a 99 sunfore 2.2 and im doing a eco swap. Now i know i need the plasic tank ..but im wondering if i can use the 2000 and up tank or do i need the tank out of a 2003 and up ? Also the sender and pump assembly i have is out of a 20003 will i fit a dif tank? please help..phil

As long as it is a 2000+ tank you will be fine with what you have. I put a Ecotec fuel pump assembly in my 01 Z24 (non Ecotec).

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:54 AM
k awsome so as long as its the plastic tank it will work with the 2003 sender and various hoses and canister? Also john i have the sender from the 2003 and all the wirering..im looking to use all 2003 stuff but i know wat your saying cause my 99 does have the canister in the rear and looks awfuly similar to the 2003 stuff..but i never got the tank cause as you know pick and pull cuts the tanks open ....phil
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:21 PM
Let me look at my parts sheet when I get home... the 99 fuel pump assembly works with the 00 computer and everything.... unless the fuel pump and wiring changed again in 03, I don't honestly see a reason why you need to swap anything.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:35 PM
John Lenko wrote:Let me look at my parts sheet when I get home... the 99 fuel pump assembly works with the 00 computer and everything.... unless the fuel pump and wiring changed again in 03, I don't honestly see a reason why you need to swap anything.

I with John on this. We sold a 04 gas tank and evap stuff, that was put into a 02 Ecotec cavy, no issues.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:41 PM
ow that would make my life easier....although how does it all add up to the stock 2003 fuel lines that go under the car t the front and to the fuel rail? cause im going to get those lines as well so i dont have to mickey mouse rig those to the eco fuel lines..phil
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:41 PM
Philly D wrote:ow that would make my life easier....although how does it all add up to the stock 2003 fuel lines that go under the car t the front and to the fuel rail? cause im going to get those lines as well so i dont have to mickey mouse rig those to the eco fuel lines..phil

as long as you have a plastic tank, the only part of the fuel line you need is the part that connects to the rail and runs to the bottem of the firewall ( it is a rubber like line and has connections on both ends). The hard lines under the car will be the same (as long as you have a plastic tank set-up with the Evap stuff in the rear, as you have stated you have).

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:49 PM
Well i currently have the metal tank in my car....I will be swapping to the plastic tank tho. My current setup has the evap in the rear as well so maybe its a crossover year or something. As for the fuel lines i do believe i have the rubber "whip hoses" that come off the main eco fuel rail. So they will mount up to my 99 2.2 hardlines that go under the body of the car? Sory for asking so much..i just want to make sure i have everything..phil

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:02 PM
I'm pretty certain that you're ok with the 99 and metal tank. The difference isn't the tank as much as it is the evap in the rear, I think up to 98 it was in the front of the car beside the PCM in the right fender....

Like I said... I'll check the service manual DVD when I get home.. (I'm at work right now)... but I'm 99% sure that you don't even need to swap the tank. You should be able to keep the slightly-higher capacity tank and evap in the rear... just swap the bit of wiring that needs to be swapped.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:22 PM
awsome..thanks alot john..phil
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:44 PM
Yup... as I suspected... it's the same. Similar pump, but the level sensor changes (the contacts were changed in 00 to silver plated ones... which crap out... so... you're better off with the old ones).

In fact... this was surprising...

The pump in the J-body, is also used in most other GM small cars... including all Malibu, Alero, Cutlass, Grand Am, Classic, etc... even the V6 models. The 95-05 J-body pumps are interchangeable...

So... keep what you've got...

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:12 PM
awsome deal...now i have a spare pump lol...do you know off hand if the rad is the same then....anyone? and if not what years do i need..keep in mind im standard..phil
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search