ram air - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ram air
Sunday, October 15, 2006 11:08 PM
ok i am putting a scoop on my hood. i want functional ram air. any ideas on how to do this? my brother in law has a formula firebird with it and it just has a cradle that is fitted to the TB and the filter just sits in it and the hood closes over it. do you guys think something like that would work?

Re: ram air
Monday, October 16, 2006 6:46 PM
Ram air does nothing. You must be going around 400mph for ram air to have any effect above natural atmospheric pressure. Actually "ram air" systems can cause a vacuum around the intake and DECREASE performance. Like on the 70's Buick GS.
Monday, October 16, 2006 7:12 PM
Here is a custom graphic I made a long time ago explaining Ram Air effect.
These are actual wind tunnel results, don't ask I have connections at Rensler technical Institute.

Monday, October 16, 2006 7:17 PM
i love the graphics...*rofl

I may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
Monday, October 16, 2006 7:19 PM
That all may well be true but anytime you feed the engine air from outside the hot engine compartment you will increase hp/tq, for each 10* drop in intake air temp the engine will produce 1% more power. So any setup which is sealed from the hot underhood air and draws air from outside the engine compartment will make a difference for you.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Monday, October 16, 2006 7:38 PM
That is the worst graphic I have ever seen.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, October 16, 2006 8:20 PM
I salute you, BlackEco.

Monday, October 16, 2006 9:44 PM
that is the coolest pic ever, ROFL

Monday, October 16, 2006 11:50 PM
Dale Young wrote:That all may well be true but anytime you feed the engine air from outside the hot engine compartment you will increase hp/tq, for each 10* drop in intake air temp the engine will produce 1% more power. So any setup which is sealed from the hot underhood air and draws air from outside the engine compartment will make a difference for you.

despite what you may think, the air under the hood does move around

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:59 AM
Cowl induction would work alot better.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:04 AM
99redz24 you are right the air does move around underhood however this air is significantly warmer than the air outside the engine compartment, so you still get more power by drawing engine air from outside the engine compartment.Look at any high performance or race car they all have some form of cold air setup none of them allow the engine to breath air from under the hood.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:38 AM
what if you did it like the grand ams had it in the grill would that work?
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:32 AM
Dale Young wrote:99redz24 you are right the air does move around underhood however this air is significantly warmer than the air outside the engine compartment, so you still get more power by drawing engine air from outside the engine compartment.Look at any high performance or race car they all have some form of cold air setup none of them allow the engine to breath air from under the hood.

true, but the high performance cars go faster than his. would'nt help him much

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:44 PM
Here is a link to my Cardomain site where I have a few pictures of my Cowl Induction scoop that I added and made functional. I have since added a larger scoop (longer and wider) that comes closer to the windshield.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565007

Mike
"information is All Powerfull"
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:03 PM
Nxtl wrote:Here is a link to my Cardomain site where I have a few pictures of my Cowl Induction scoop that I added and made functional. I have since added a larger scoop (longer and wider) that comes closer to the windshield.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565007

Thats actually pretty damn cool looking, I will let you know when I hav ethe 3d generated model sent back from the wind tunnel test.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:31 PM
does anyone know any good websites debating the Funtionality vs. Uselessness of ram air hoods.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:40 AM
The cowl induction hood with a hole under it (functionnal) really work. I know I have a 3" cowl hood on my Gtz. I don't know if it will give more performance but air IS going in. It make a vacuum effect and air goes in. You need to go around 40+ for the scoop to work. You could see it easily when it was raining. The drop of water around the scoop were going under the hood.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:04 AM
I always liked the air filter box setup behind/below the front bumper approach, sits where an intercooler would. Imo how could the air miss that? only problem is if it rains and you hit a deep puddle your sol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search