Engine design change (LENKO PLEASE CHIME IN) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine design change (LENKO PLEASE CHIME IN)
Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:02 PM
Did GM have a design change on there 2.2 motors in 96??? i got a new motor and transmission from the junkyard to put in to my car cuase my trans went out and i have 186,000 miles on the old stuff. so i was looking and the water outlet necks on bothe sides of the new motor are different thatn the ones on my older motor. so is the crosover tube that goes from one water jacket to i think the firewall. then i also noticed that bothe transmissions are EXACTLY the same but the trans mount is different and so is the module that is mounted on the shifter linkage. the linkage itself is different. could this be because it came out of a coupe or something or whats the deal. i know its a 96 cause the tag on the transmission. but im kinda stumped. also. if they did change the design can i just swap the water necks and crosover tubes to the new motor so that its correct??? same with the transmission module. can i just sweitch that also?? thank you.

Re: Engine design change (LENKO PLEASE CHIME IN)
Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:27 PM
Third gens the change was in 98.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:45 PM
As far as i know there were slight changes all though out the years but technically 95-97 are all the same and 98 up is te same...engine should be the same..maybe some external goodies are differnt would be my best guess..phil
Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:44 AM
can you change them over from your old motor?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:03 AM
yeah. it looks like i can change them over. well. i know i can. i just dont get why they would change those items unless maybe the motor came out of a coupe instead of sedan. but its just wierd. so today after work imma start tearing stuff off my old motor and putting it on the new one and hopefully have my old motor out tomorrow and the new one in on tuesday.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 12:59 PM
96 required all cars to be fully OBD2 compliant... maybe there's some different sensors or something that required changes to minor stuff on the car...

I don't know the differences between those years... esp the 2.2L. My detailed knowledge is limited to the 2.4L's...

Sunday, October 15, 2006 1:07 PM
lol thanks but yea im not sure either but imma start swappin everything over tonite and weel see how things go from there.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:38 PM
how about posting pictures of both motors and transmissions

Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:39 PM
im gonna try . weel see what happens tonite. i need to get some work done tho.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 1:16 PM
WELP. I FIGURED OUT WHY THAT MOTOR WAS SO MUCH DIFFERENT. I RAN THE VIN THAT THEY LEFT ON MY RECIEPT (DUMBASSES) AND THE MOTOR CAME OUT OF A CHEVY CORSICA. THEY SWEAR IT CAME OUT OF A CAVALIER. SO WHEN I GO DOWN TO GET A NEW TRANSMISSION THAT THEY SWEAR WAS GOOD. IM GONNA JUMP THERE ASSES FOR IT.BYE THE WAY. THE MOTOR RUNS GREAT. BEEN RUNNING FOR 2 WEEKS AND THE OIL IS STILL FULL AND THE BEST PART IS THAT ITS STILL LIKE NEW. STILL CLEAR. IM HAPPY. PLUS THERE REPLACING THE TRANS FOR FREE HAHA

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:02 AM
Good to hear that the engine worked out bro!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:30 AM
yeah. worked great. trans didnt. i get the new one today. how did your fuel pump turn out???

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:03 AM
Excellent, got the cavi running in tip top shape again, and now she goes to bed for the winter, lol, after a good bath, cleaner wax, wax, buffing of course, lol

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:42 PM
and then the first thing you do when you wake her up is drive her down here for a meet BEFORE june. as thats when me and seth leave for wyotech. hehehe

Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:41 AM
Wojo wrote:and then the first thing you do when you wake her up is drive her down here for a meet BEFORE june. as thats when me and seth leave for wyotech. hehehe

oh for sure!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search