EcoTec ignition info... good read - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EcoTec ignition info... good read
Friday, October 13, 2006 11:46 PM
Read me

just some good info on how the EcoTec ignition system works.......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Re: EcoTec ignition info... good read
Friday, October 13, 2006 11:53 PM
im still wondering why people need to swap wiring when doing an Eco swap..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:44 AM
So their car will run!?!?

Saturday, October 14, 2006 11:05 AM
Jrobz23 wrote:im still wondering why people need to swap wiring when doing an Eco swap..

WOW...Just WOW.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:16 PM
ok genius' tell me why the 2.4 wiring and comp cannot be used?

I'm sure in all your infinite wisdom you can come up with more than the redneck.. "duh cuz the 'brainbox' only works on that motor.. hyuck hyuck.. Go Gorden Go!!"

Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:16 PM
did you not read the same article I did?

Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:29 PM
Both comp's require cam position sync (if you simpletons read the article it is created by compression sensing on the Eco).. both have the same crank position setup (7x).. you can run the injectors from the 2.4 (00+ are the same even).. the F23 is the same to the comp.. rewire the Knock sensor.. and the rest of the changes are either not on the motor or on the TB and I believe all the plugs are even the same there. OK answer me again.. why ne we need to swap the whole car basically?

Saturday, October 14, 2006 1:03 PM
You have to swap the whole car because the tunes, settings, and adjustments in the computer are COMPLETELY different in a 2.4 vs a Ecotec. Plus the fact that if the BCM doesn't match the ECU the car doesn't run. Not a very complicated reason. I thought you knew all this...this is basic swap info.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, October 14, 2006 1:40 PM
if you were re-using the 97-99 2.4 comp and harness why would you need a BCM? Also you think the pre 00 comp cannot adjust for the small differences in our motors? similar power and tq curves.. similar displacement.. same injector flow size (for 00+).. all the computer does is send voltages out based upon voltage inputs. It has no knowledge of the motor sending these inputs. Make the Eco look like a 2.4 to the comp and you have an easy Eco swap. After looking I have yet to find a real difference.. save the knock sensor and I think that is only a pre-99 to 00+ dif (and people run 00+ 2.4's on pre-00 comps all the time)

what is so different? Also what is so different that HPT (which everyone doing this will prolly have anyway) or even the stock computer can not adjust for? Have you looked at 2 stock tunes?

I just love how you clowns belittle an idea first then realize maybe he's right.. I'd love to hear actually informed people respond to this question. I have yet to get a decent response and it has been asked many times.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 1:48 PM
I've read the basic swap info and I think about how all that work might not be needed.. changing the fuel tank for an engine swap? I applaud those that have done it but I think there is a better way..

Saturday, October 14, 2006 6:18 PM
Jrobz23 wrote:I've read the basic swap info and I think about how all that work might not be needed.. changing the fuel tank for an engine swap? I applaud those that have done it but I think there is a better way..

Ok you might (big might) be able to get a Ecotec into a 2.4 powered car and hard wire it into the wiring for the 2.4, and make it run (I do not doubt this), but why?? Are you saying plug and p[lay is too much work?? The time you would put into hard wiring the Ecotec to the 2.4 wiring would be just retarded, when youj can swap and plug and play. You can make a 96 run like a 2005, and if you have a issue you do not have to worry if it is some wire that came loose. Also you can do the swap and not swap the fuel tanks (it has been done), but there is also a plus to the newer tanks, they are plastic, a little leighter and nicer looking, and makes it all plug and play. Now if this a pure race car no big deal to have stuff cut and chopped, but if you are going to hard wire a ECU why not a AEM AMS??? Your way is way more work in my eyes.

FU Tuning

Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:01 PM
Before HPT there was no way to adjust your pcm for a different engine. That's changed now, but it will take some time before people come around to thinking about the engine computer as a separate piece of hardware.

April of '05 I talked about the Eco compression sense system. About a year ago I posted that you could probably use an older Saturn ignition system to retrofit a 2.2 Eco into an OBD1 car without using the Eco control system. The older ignition module doesn't provide a cam signal, but one isn't needed with the older ecm / pcm.

With access to tuning variables, the only difference between a 2.2, a 2200, a 2.4, and an Ecotec are tables and numbers. The only word of warning is that HPT probably does not provide access to all variables in the pcm. But I'd bet that a person could make the Eco engine run reasonably well using the 2.4 pcm.

-->Slow
Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:29 PM
Combustion sensing coil packs to generate a cam signal is not a new thing.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 11:04 AM
Sunfires... eh (Tom) wrote:Combustion sensing coil packs to generate a cam signal is not a new thing.

NSSL........ wasn't the point of the post.......

For the most part, swapping a Eco into a 95-99 J is far from just "plug and play"......... the 00-02 is a different story..... I'm leaning towards Jrobz thinking that dropping the engine in, and making the existing wiring work, being the easier method. And now with HPT you can copy the fuel/spark maps to match the stock Eco maps. As for having a problem trusting your wiring, I've fixed enough problems straight from GM to trust my work over the factory crap.

anyway, the point of this post was to educate those sporting the Eco, with no knowledge of how they work.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:16 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
Sunfires... eh (Tom) wrote:Combustion sensing coil packs to generate a cam signal is not a new thing.

NSSL........ wasn't the point of the post.......

For the most part, swapping a Eco into a 95-99 J is far from just "plug and play"......... the 00-02 is a different story..... I'm leaning towards Jrobz thinking that dropping the engine in, and making the existing wiring work, being the easier method. And now with HPT you can copy the fuel/spark maps to match the stock Eco maps. As for having a problem trusting your wiring, I've fixed enough problems straight from GM to trust my work over the factory crap.

anyway, the point of this post was to educate those sporting the Eco, with no knowledge of how they work.

lol, well YOU didn't specify the point of the post other than someone else's research on the ecotec ignition.

But cool information on technology that is probably more than a decade old.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search