Raw Fuel - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Raw Fuel
Friday, October 13, 2006 8:41 PM
I was heading out in my 97 Z24 Auto when I noticed the car was idleing high, I was thinking ok it is cold it needs to warm up. (It was idling at about 1200rpm's and it was about 30 degrees F outside) I gave the car a little gas then all of a sudden it started sputtering and ideling weird. I got ran out to the back of the car and put my hand over the exhaust and my hand was covered in gas. I got a CEL and checked it, it is a missfire in 4. So i proceeded to remove my IDI cover to pull out the plug in 4 thinking it was fouled up because I have not replaced them in a long while. (AC Delco Plats.) When I removed my IDI cover under it everything is covered in fluid. It smells like fuel mixed in with something else, and it is black like old oil. I can't find any cracks and all my gaskets look good. What could it be? Any ideas? Tomorrow I'm going to get new plugs and try that and clean up under the IDI cover. If I can get some ideas as to what the problem could be that would be great until then thanks everybody for your help.

In the planning stage for an all American TRD Cavalier.

Re: Raw Fuel
Friday, October 13, 2006 8:53 PM
ouch u might have cracked ur cold head by revving it.....or maybe knocked the rod into the plug pushing oil and gas up

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Friday, October 13, 2006 8:56 PM
"knocked the rod into the plug pushing oil and gas up"

I don't even know where to begin with how wrong that is....

Change the plugs, clean the top, and check to see if the problem comes back. Because you clean it, it makes it easier to find the problem.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:26 PM
Missfire could be nearly anything.
Try some new plugs.

Friday, October 13, 2006 10:54 PM
Wow, that sounds like it sucks. What would be more signs I should look for if I knocked my rod into my plug?

Friday, October 13, 2006 11:06 PM
Z24HO wrote:Wow, that sounds like it sucks. What would be more signs I should look for if I knocked my rod into my plug?

Ignore his comment, please.

Friday, October 13, 2006 11:33 PM
A less uneducated comment would have been "the piston pushed the plug up"...but the motor has a zero deck height and a combustion chamber in the head, IIRC, smaller in diameter than that of the piston. So the piston would hit the head before it could possibly hit the plug.

If that happened, then you would know what your problem is...you no longer have a #4 piston, and you have thrown a rod.

^^^^ I guarantee you this did not happen.

If the motor consistently idles weird and new plugs don't fix the problem, my guess would be you spun a rod bearing and possibly cracked the piston...pure speculation though.
Friday, October 13, 2006 11:43 PM
Sunfires... eh (Tom) wrote:
Z24HO wrote:Wow, that sounds like it sucks. What would be more signs I should look for if I knocked my rod into my plug?

Ignore his comment, please.

Let me reiterate: EVERYONE ingnore his comment.

It's up to the O.P. to check fuel, spark, and mechanical problems.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 2:20 AM
The liquid coming out of the exhaust was not gas, it was water with carbon. The gas can<t mmake it all the way back there. If it does, you'd have the fuel line plug to the exhaust.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:46 AM
Thank you for the laugh, my saturday is brighter now rod through a plug

When you first start the car, your in open loop, which generally means your richer, once you warm up usually to 130s or so on coolant temp, then you go back to closed loop or normal operation, I notice alot esp during the winter that runs really rich till it warms up, beating on it while its cold is the worst thing you can do. It will also idle higher depending on startup temp, the colder the higher.

Misfires can also be caused by bad coils or icm, however if that was the case, you would likely get a P0300 random multiple code rather than a specific cylinder, being that your idi cover was coated in fluid, might want to clean that up. Black plugs are usually from a rich condition, also if plugs arent tightened down properly they will blow exhaust up out the spark holes and dirty things up under the idi. Might also want to do a compression test, its easy takes maybe 10 minutes and the tool is like 20 bucks, owning a 2.4 its something you will need at some point anyway

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:19 AM
Well put my new plugs in this morning, and now the car wont start at all. I cleaned everything up before installing the new plugs. (AC Delco Plats.) I gapped the plugs at 60 and now the car will not start at all. This really came at a bad time when I don't have a job and money is tight.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:46 AM
I've had the missfinr and oil everywhere before...its a bad cam gasket which then leaks oil, then the oil drops into the plug bores and grounds out the spark plug. Sounds like you did exactly what I did since I've still got the leak, but for some reason my car started with no problems.

Run some compressed air around the plugs and see what flies up at you. If you chaged them you shouldn't have anything around them but who knows, worth a try and it can be done quickly. Also try to wire brush the tops of the idid cover where the bolts touch, if im not mistaken that is how the ground propigates to the IDI cover then to the coils, But I could be wrong. Either it works that way or the cover is insulated from the bolts, I dont remember now. But try to follow the ground to the coils and make sure it still has a good connection.
Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:16 AM
Well, I went back out and took everything apart again to make sure everything was connecting well. When I pulled the boots back off one of them I noticed was cracked and ended up breaking, so the rubber part that is around the coil and the plastic clip is broke. Could a broken boot cause the car not to start?

Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:33 AM
Took one of my new plugs out and the electrode is covered in the same fluid that was under the idi cover....

Saturday, October 14, 2006 10:59 AM
So anybody have any ideas? The first 3 plugs had the black fluid on them and the last plug looked clean still. The car acts like it wants to start but just wont turn over.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:28 PM
LMAO....i meant piston...i was wayyy too tired last night......i still say thers a crack in ur head cause the leakage of gas/oil

Saturday, October 14, 2006 1:25 PM
Cavgold96 wrote:LMAO....i meant piston...i was wayyy too tired last night......i still say thers a crack in ur head cause the leakage of gas/oil

Please get a clue before posting. The head is not cracked. Yes a broken boots can cause you alot of trouble. You need to check and see if you have fire on the plugs. then check for gas but that seem fine.

Take the coil housing appart too to clean it out.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, October 14, 2006 3:24 PM
Well I have it all figured out, I got mad because the new boots did nothing. Car still wont start, so I pulled my s10 out of the garage and put the cavy in. I then started the tearing down of the engine. Only to find that #4 has a huge as hole in it. So I guess this gives me a reason to pull the engine out of the car and totaly rebuild it from the bottom up with forged internals. Lets hope I can get all the parts collected before this next summer then we get rebuilt and some spray after that. Thanks for everybody's help.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:36 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:
Cavgold96 wrote:LMAO....i meant piston...i was wayyy too tired last night......i still say thers a crack in ur head cause the leakage of gas/oil

Please get a clue before posting. The head is not cracked. Yes a broken boots can cause you alot of trouble. You need to check and see if you have fire on the plugs. then check for gas but that seem fine.

who was right faggot......dueschbag

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:42 PM
Cavgold96 wrote:
Mfk-223 wrote:

who was right faggot......dueschbag

Not you.... and next time you call somebody a douchebag, spell it right.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search