Dry Sump - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dry Sump
Friday, October 13, 2006 1:41 PM
What is involved with making a dry sump oil system for the LD9 to avoid the inherent oil problems with the motor with out spending tonnes of money getting the 2.3L oil system in there.

- Paul

Re: Dry Sump
Friday, October 13, 2006 2:03 PM
LOL

If you think the 2.3 swap is expensive, a dry sump system is WAY out of your ballpark.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, October 13, 2006 5:57 PM
Shifted wrote:LOL

If you think the 2.3 swap is expensive, a dry sump system is WAY out of your ballpark.

Lol, yeah.

Custom oil pan, pump, all the lines, mounting bracket for pump, belt, misc. things that might also be needed for dry sump.

Friday, October 13, 2006 8:02 PM
for sry sump your looking at least $800.00 and thats with fabricating stuff yourself.
Friday, October 13, 2006 9:18 PM
Yea but i hear thats how much the 2.3L oil pump cost and if they're close then i'd rather have the dry. So who knows what it takes?

- Paul

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:38 PM
How many people with cavaliers do you think have a dry sump oil system?

Although I do remember turbotechracing had a dry sump system he was working on.

Well, I did a quick search, check this out ecotec owners:

http://www.drysump.com/oilpump5.htm
They also have a custom oil pan made for a dry sump system.
1022 Chevy Ecotec $578.00

And most of the pumps are $750 and up.
and the tanks are like $500.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 5:02 AM
I don't know where you source your parts, but the 2.3 pump DOES NOT cost anywhere near $800, I believe its much less than $200 actually.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:34 AM
The pump put me back around $130 or so, the gear from GMPD is $35 or so. The only time the 2.3L pump swap is worth doing is if your rebuilding the motor. because you have to drop the crank at the very least, then do some work on the block. None of which is fun when your car is 6 inches off the ground. If your rebuilding the motor the swap is easy and can be done for around $300.00 all said and done even with buying the NPT taps and everything.

I dont know who said $800 but there wrong.......big time.

You will also need to go to a junk yard and get the windage tray since you can't get that from GMPD. IF you dont want to do that I have an extra one, just PM me or somthing.
Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:44 AM
Sunfires... eh (Tom) wrote:How many people with cavaliers do you think have a dry sump oil system?

Although I do remember turbotechracing had a dry sump system he was working on.

Well, I did a quick search, check this out ecotec owners:

http://www.drysump.com/oilpump5.htm
They also have a custom oil pan made for a dry sump system.
1022 Chevy Ecotec $578.00

And most of the pumps are $750 and up.
and the tanks are like $500.

holy @!#$ thats hot

some extra ground clearance would be nice since the bottom of my sump is dangerously low to the ground.. maybe 3" at most?

That would be a very nice addition to my ecotec this winter

nice find!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 1:23 PM
We had a dry sump setup all Moroso parts on our 2.4L LD9 engine. Worked AWESOME. However there was a $2500 bill to get it to work. Used all new parts. I do have a bracket for the removal of the A/C pump to mount a moroso pump to. Also an unorthodox race pulley with a hub to mount on a dry sump drive pulley.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:15 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:We had a dry sump setup all Moroso parts on our 2.4L LD9 engine. Worked AWESOME. However there was a $2500 bill to get it to work. Used all new parts. I do have a bracket for the removal of the A/C pump to mount a moroso pump to. Also an unorthodox race pulley with a hub to mount on a dry sump drive pulley.

What is the status on the motor/car? I remember seeing pictures of the motor not in a car. Is it running, has it been on a dyno, track??

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:17 PM
That was the 2005 engine, we swapped to the ecotec in 2006, which has a nice 9500 redline Much better with the Turbonetics T67 ball bearing turbo!

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Sunday, October 15, 2006 9:50 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:The pump put me back around $130 or so, the gear from GMPD is $35 or so. The only time the 2.3L pump swap is worth doing is if your rebuilding the motor. because you have to drop the crank at the very least, then do some work on the block. None of which is fun when your car is 6 inches off the ground. If your rebuilding the motor the swap is easy and can be done for around $300.00 all said and done even with buying the NPT taps and everything.

You will also need to go to a junk yard and get the windage tray since you can't get that from GMPD. IF you dont want to do that I have an extra one, just PM me or somthing.

The motor is sitting in an engine stand and is being rebuilt as there is a hole in piston 1. Needless to say forged pistons/rods are going in so the block is getting stripped. I just heard that to get it all machined would cost like $800. So your saying $165 plus windige tray is all i need for parts and machining the block is just over $100?

- Paul

Monday, October 16, 2006 11:44 AM
aaron...how much would u sell those 2 gems for?

thats EXACTLY what im lacking in my setup.

White 98'Z-alive n kickn
Black 97'Z-down for the count
Monday, October 16, 2006 11:58 AM
Z YAAAA wrote:aaron...how much would u sell those 2 gems for?

thats EXACTLY what im lacking in my setup.

Email me Aaron@TurboTechRacing.com and i will send you some pictures and figure out a fair price.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Monday, October 16, 2006 10:00 PM
Paul Yannacopoulos wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:The pump put me back around $130 or so, the gear from GMPD is $35 or so. The only time the 2.3L pump swap is worth doing is if your rebuilding the motor. because you have to drop the crank at the very least, then do some work on the block. None of which is fun when your car is 6 inches off the ground. If your rebuilding the motor the swap is easy and can be done for around $300.00 all said and done even with buying the NPT taps and everything.

The motor is sitting in an engine stand and is being rebuilt as there is a hole in piston 1. Needless to say forged pistons/rods are going in so the block is getting stripped. I just heard that to get it all machined would cost like $800. So your saying $165 plus windige tray is all i need for parts and machining the block is just over $100?

- Paul

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search