underdrive pulley - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
underdrive pulley
Friday, October 13, 2006 12:14 PM
I am putting an underdrive pulley on, how do i go about doing it, do i need to take the tired off and go through that way?

Re: underdrive pulley
Friday, October 13, 2006 1:07 PM
JR Marks wrote:I am putting an underdrive pulley on, how do i go about doing it, do i need to take the tired off and go through that way?

The tire stays on, but the front passenger wheel comes off ...the plastic inner fender well cover comes off...

Remove the belt (I believe it is a 13mm wrench needed to turn the belt tensioner)

From there, you need a wheel puller, and you need to make or buy a piece to counter the torque it requires to loosen the crank pulley bolt. Once the nut is off, you install the wheel puller and tighten the bolt that goes in the center to pull the pulley off.

Either use a wood block and mallet, or a rubber mallet to put the new pulley on.

Measure the length of the new belt you will need by using string to wrap around the new crank pulley and accessories the same way the belt goes on. Take that measurement and go a couple inches smaller so that the tensioner can bind to keep the belt in place.

Reverse previous steps from here.
Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:40 PM
The belt size needed for the underdrive pulley (assuming it is an RK Sport or similar) is a 385K5, or in other terms, 38.5'' long, 5 ribs wide.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:57 PM
for which engine? if its an eco Brian's dirrections aren't very accurate

Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:15 PM
Darkstars wrote:for which engine? if its an eco Brian's dirrections aren't very accurate

I probably should have asked that before I started explaining...oh well... if you are ever in a situation where it is imparative that you need to know how the LD9 crank pulley comes off, now you know.
Sunday, October 15, 2006 4:48 PM
I'm an eco guy so I don't know if they make an LD9 one hahahah

anyway for the eco you used a 3/8 ratchet (longer is better) to lossen the tensioner and there is no puller required, undo the bolt and the pully will slip right off by hand

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:40 PM
Its a 2.4 in a 2000

Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:03 AM
Darkstars wrote:I'm an eco guy so I don't know if they make an LD9 one hahahah

anyway for the eco you used a 3/8 ratchet (longer is better) to lossen the tensioner and there is no puller required, undo the bolt and the pully will slip right off by hand

Unorthodox racing makes a nice under-drive pulley for the LD9. Also it is a 24mm or 27mm bolt depending on model year.
If its a LD9 a puller is required.
I make a nice stock size lightened pulley.
If you email me I can send you the directions I wrote for my crank pulleys. I sure it is VERY similar procedure.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search