how capable is a 2.2l ohv oil pump? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how capable is a 2.2l ohv oil pump?
Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:04 PM
my question is at what horesepower level is a 2.2l ohv oil pump no longer capable of supplying proper lubrication to a turbo 2.2l? does the turbo matter even matter? also, is it even necessary to upgrade an oil pump if the motor isn't reving any higher than it previously would?

Re: how capable is a 2.2l ohv oil pump?
Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:13 PM
The '94+ oil pump are okay, but i would reccomend a '93 & older pump. It has slightly larger gears, wich increases volume and the 60 psi releif springs for higher pressure. The aftermarket high volume pump has a tendancy to suck a stck pan dry, if you sustain higher rpms for any sustaind amount of time and requires a grater amount of power to drive the pump (parasitic loss).

Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:40 PM
but is it necessary to upgrade and oil pump if the rev limiter hasn't been increased madjack?
Monday, October 02, 2006 2:24 AM
The added pressure and volume is added protection for any 2.2/2200 used in any performance application. The stock pump is only adequate for normal daily driving. With the added stresses of driving under heavy loads and/or WOT, the older style pump is protection from shearing the oil from between the bearings and crank. It also is good for the lifters when using aftermarket cams, higher pressure valve springs or higher ratio rocker arms. The stock lifter plunger springs are rather weak for many performance applications, the added oil pressure helps prevent the lifter from collapsing under the added loads.

I reccomend this pump in all but the most extreme performance/race applications.

Monday, October 02, 2006 6:12 AM
^^^ madjack is my hero

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, October 02, 2006 3:38 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:^^^ madjack is my hero

x2

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Monday, October 02, 2006 4:37 PM
thanks dude. does the swap to a 93 and earlier oil pump require alot of modification or does bolt right up? hey joe, the car looks good mann.
Monday, October 02, 2006 7:13 PM
Not to thread jack or anything, but MadJack, Will the oil pump you specified work on a 2002 2200? Im looking to turbo in a few months, and want to make sure the motor is as ready as I can make it. will it work, and what kind of mods do I need to do to the motor to make it work?

you are my OHV knowledgegod
Monday, October 02, 2006 7:25 PM
It's a direct bolt on for all '90-'02 2.2L/2200s.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:02 AM
Thanks madjack!
Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:49 PM
thabks again

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search