2.3 throttle bodie - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 throttle bodie
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:44 AM
have a question hope some body can help me i want to switch my 2.2 throttle bodie for a 2.3 but the only one i can find around here is of a 95 grand am will this work and do i need anything else other than the throttle bodie thanks for any help

Re: 2.3 throttle bodie
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 7:49 PM
From what I have heard, 2200/ 2.2l OHV have to drill, tap, and insert another fitting into the throttle body to accommodate another vacuum hose (2.3 has 3 when you need 4). Other than that, you should be fine.

But this question has been asked hundreds of times...You should really search.

Brian
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:03 PM
What is it with everyone here swapping throttlebodies. Especially the boosted cars, that's pointless. Unless your building for high revving and have already added exhaust, headwork, cams and tubular intake piping your kinda wasting your cash. That's as pointless as a boosted car adding cams and getting a port and polish. And with the 2200 I don't think your gonna be building for revvs...

--------------------------------------------------
'96 Cavalier Good ol' Pushrod 2.2
-24X,000 miles on factory build
-Some oil loss between changes, me thinks it be rings.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:04 PM
But then again I deal with Toyota turbo engines and in those cases it is stupid to do cams and stuff.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:09 PM
gene simmons wrote:have a question hope some body can help me i want to switch my 2.2 throttle bodie for a 2.3 but the only one i can find around here is of a 95 grand am will this work and do i need anything else other than the throttle bodie thanks for any help

Ok you will need a t connector for the 2 small vaccum hoses. Then its just a matter of bolting it up and figureing out where to put your throttle cables and wher to route them. Make sure your getting one form the 2.3 HO should say 2.3 quad 4 or jsut quad 4 ho or some @!#$ like that. Have fun with it its a nice mod to do. Just make sure you get full exhaust and a port and polish to see better gains.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:30 PM
Quote:

What is it with everyone here swapping throttlebodies. Especially the boosted cars, that's pointless. Unless your building for high revving and have already added exhaust, headwork, cams and tubular intake piping your kinda wasting your cash. That's as pointless as a boosted car adding cams and getting a port and polish. And with the 2200 I don't think your gonna be building for revvs...

Cams, Headwork and I/E mods allow the motor breathe better, so the boost gauge will show less boost, but the car will actually make just as much power (or you can increase the boost to allow for greater power). Toyota motors are already high reving motors (from what I recall), so it is probably unlikely that they would gain too much from a little higher lift cam. Cavs redline at about 5800 stock, so they benefit greatly from higher lift cams (at least the LD9 does).

Brian
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:00 PM
Sorry to jack the thread but my toyota I-6 used to make peak power at 5200rpm peak torque at 4400. Yeah the redline was 6800 and it displaced 2.8L but your talking an engine that only needs anywhere between 250-300CFM(in the cavvy) at 7k rpm assuming 100% volumetric efficiency and the existing tb will definately flow that. Plus the intake manifolds on these cars are just big turbulance generators anyways and will never flow that unless you go custom with tubular mandrel bent runners...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:15 PM
I put the throttle body on my car I just added a T fitting where the vacum line needed to go. and modified the rotor. other than that it's a direct swap. I have heard that you may not need to modify the orignal rotor. I did notice some more pull from around 3800 up to the redline.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:38 PM
Sorry Dave, but I wasn't arguing the throttle body on a stock motor, I am already aware that the 52mm will flow at 100 percent. I was referring to your statement about how internal work won't do much, and that is just BS on our motors. I know the 2jzgte-tt is a strong motor and was built with race intentions in mind, but that really wasn't GM's approach with either the 2200 or the LD9 (a poor afterthought of the Quad 4). A combination of Headwork, Cams and complete I/E will produce a decent amount of power, although nothing compared to slapping on a turbo, but then you can say goodbye to your stock connecting rods as they bust through your oil pan.

But as Larry stated,
Quote:

I did notice some more pull from around 3800 up to the redline.

the 56mm throttle body opens up a little of the top end and will suffer low end torque on a stock motor (although butt Dynos don't really count).
Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:14 AM
cool thanks for all the input just couple more questions i got one from a quad 4 but not an ho does that matter and why would i need to modify the rotor and if i do can some one tell me what to search for cause i have tried searching as much as i can just want to find as much information as possible before i jump into it thanks
Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:29 AM
Any 2.3L whether H.O. or not will have a 56mm throttle body, so you are fine (I found mine on a 2.3L SOHC)... I don't know about any modifiacation needed to be done to the wheel the butterfly connects to though.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:27 AM
I meant that internal work doesn't do much in a boosted application. But then again your probably right. These engines don't revv very high and seem to be tuned down quite a bit...

Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:20 AM
you may not have to do ne thing to the wheel. mine came off of a 95 grand am gt, I just swapped the wheel off a spare throttle body i had.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:46 AM
thanks for all the info i will just have to see whats involved when i get it and go from there thanks for the help
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search