push rods and porting - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
push rods and porting
Friday, August 11, 2006 3:35 PM
is there a old school motor that we can get push rods for that will fit the 2200 sfi motors? also is there anything to watch out for if i was to port and polish the head myself ? such as any veins for coolant or oil ? can the old head bolts be used and are there any problems with using steal spark plug tap and inserts on the 2200 head? thanks

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG

Re: push rods and porting
Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:49 PM
There are a number of Aftermarket pushrods available. The stock size is 7.448" X 3/8"(.375") with swedged ends and ball tips. Try starting a search here (Summit Racing). Find one that fits your needs, it doesn't need to be exactly the same, if you are using aftermarket studs and roller rockers, as long as they within about .025". You can also use 5/16" .080" wall chromemoly pushrods, as long as the length is correct.(FYI, I'm using the Self-Alighning 1.6:1 Crane Gold Race Roller Rockers on my '96 2.2L and 5/16" Trick-Flow Chrome-moly pushrods in my motor.)

As for what to watch for when porting, dont try to port match the exhaust to the header, if you are using a PaceSetter header, you'll run into the water jacket at the top of the exhaust port. Just match to a stock 2200 exhaust gasket, as long as the gasket's port is smaller than the port on the header.

Whenever the head has been removed, always replace the head bolts. They are torque-to-yield bolts and must streatch a specified amount, or you'll end up blowing the head gasket.

Steel spark plug taps? I take it you mean Heli-Coils? Yes if the threads are messed up in the head, you can Heli-Coil the spark plug threads. If you mean run a tap to clean the threads, you can do that also, just don't cross-thread them, or you'll have to Heli-Coil them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search