Directing air.... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Directing air....
Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:24 AM
I am wondering what is the best way to direct more air twards the radiator. Seems like maybe I could fab up some side plates and maybe one under to funnel more air twards the radiator? Is is this a waste of time?

Yea kinda newbish...

Re: Directing air....
Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:15 AM
Is your car overheating? If so, it might be that your thermostat has gone bad. With a supercharger with a 2.9" pulley, I can't imagine you are putting down enough power that the motor itself is causing the overheating issue. It could also be that your tranny cooler isn't efficient enough for the 4t40e at whatever amount of power/ torque that your car makes. With as large of an opening that your cav's front bumper has, you should already have plenty of air flow. I hope someone can chime in here and give you better advice, cause this is all I can think of right now.

Brian
Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:24 AM
There was a thread in here not too long ago about a thicker radiator. I wonder if that would help you?

Do you have any space between your heat exchanger and radiator?

Maybe you could adjust your coolant/water ratio.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:27 AM
If you have a friend with a 2.3 Gtz, go see him. The 2.3 Gtz had a funnel to bring the air on the radiator. They even had a deflector on the body just in front of the radiator. It did work so it's not a newbish question.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:08 AM
in not overheating, it was just a question or curiosity

Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:00 PM
There's also a theard on here somewhere about a dual fan setup that " to my knowledge " was a direct fit.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:54 PM
If you want a "funnel" concept to work for a radiator or intercooler, it will need to have a narrower aperture and wider chamber (contrary to popular belief) or the turbulence of the convergent air flow will have a negative impact.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:40 PM
lol, Well you have a few options like stated above. The Dual fan set up was investigated by Lenko, and is in the 3rd gen forum.

The funnel will also work as well.

and your other option is a Pitman spoiler... It works in almost the same way as a thermostaticly controlled grill however, as your coolent temp rises, a metal blade would be pivited down into the airstream under the car, defecting air up towards your radiator. Now you will have a problem with this, Its called drag, it works like a spoiler in the front end. A pitman spoiler has not been used on any car in the last 50 years. It was a design concept on Rolls Royce and some of the other high end cars at the time. However, they are easy to make. You need a piece of material of your choice, perferably Aluminum or carbon fiber to keep the weight down, Also a thermostat sensor and switch, and a pair a power window motors or linear actuators. If you need a diagram, Ill hunt it out of one of my books for you.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:52 PM
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:lol, Well you have a few options like stated above. The Dual fan set up was investigated by Lenko, and is in the 3rd gen forum.

and your other option is a Pitman spoiler... It works in almost the same way as a thermostaticly controlled grill however, as your coolent temp rises, a metal blade would be pivited down into the airstream under the car, defecting air up towards your radiator. Now you will have a problem with this, Its called drag, it works like a spoiler in the front end. A pitman spoiler has not been used on any car in the last 50 years. It was a design concept on Rolls Royce and some of the other high end cars at the time. However, they are easy to make. You need a piece of material of your choice, perferably Aluminum or carbon fiber to keep the weight down, Also a thermostat sensor and switch, and a pair a power window motors or linear actuators. If you need a diagram, Ill hunt it out of one of my books for you.

That sounds like a bit more than im looking for honestly. Odly nuff thats some good research comming from you . Im not sure what way i want to go realy. I do not have ac so no condensor infront of the radiator but the heat exchanger is under the bumper support up front so that kills the air comming to the radiator a bit.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:42 PM
Card board and duct tape

Sunday, August 13, 2006 12:38 AM
El fuego (the grounded one) wrote:lol, Well you have a few options like stated above. The Dual fan set up was investigated by Lenko, and is in the 3rd gen forum.

That sounds interesting, definately cool. Maybe some day.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 12:20 PM
If you guys even need the info, look me up. Even though alot has changed in 50+ years, the concept should be much easier to incorporate now a days.

Monday, August 14, 2006 9:46 AM
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search