ARP studs - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ARP studs
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:13 PM
hey guys..just wondering if anyone has any experience RE-using head studs...im replacing the head on my motor and since it currently has ARP studs and nuts i was just gonna re use them but everyones telling me i HAVE to use new ones..this true? anyone here use old ones without trouble?? thanks

Re: ARP studs
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:13 PM
ITs always a good idea but the rule of thumb is to replace the studs when they have lenghtened by 0.001" from there original size.(each individual bolt) -This is why you should blueprint during reassembly
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:15 PM
It's better to replace them, since THEY WILL strech once you install them..

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:41 PM
ok..they were installed..but the motor NEVER started up..was never even turned over..now i know they stretch lightly just by being tight but anyone think it will by any problem if i just tighten them back down??

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:39 PM
ARP bolts are made to be reused. We reused the ones from my motor after it blew up in the new motor.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:55 PM
Go to ARP's site and download their stretch charts. Use them to measure your studs and if they are in spec (which the most likely will be) use them. Like it was posted above they are made to be reused and can be torqued quite a few times before they have to be replaced. Measure them up and go from there just to be safe.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:11 PM
We learn something everyday Didn't knew that those can be re-used. I knew that the stock ones must be changed. Thanks for the clarification!!!

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:38 AM
It would be stupid to pay 100+ to only be able to use them once.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:07 AM
thanks gilles lol

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:47 AM
I really dislike it when people who clearly don't know the answer start posting stuff.... but whatever....

The ARP kits are much stronger than regular bolts, specifically so that you can re-use them. So you don't throw away the $40 or whatever for a set of head bolts when you replace the HG each time.

I wish I'd used one, I've had the head off four times and the ARP set would have paid for itself by now.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 2:25 PM
Per ARP you can re-use them as long as there was no major trama to the engine (example blown head gasket).

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:07 PM
John Higgins wrote:Per ARP you can re-use them as long as there was no major trama to the engine (example blown head gasket).

Half right. If the headgasket gave out do to the head lifting (studs stretching) you shouldn't reuse them. If the headgasket just gave out because it broke in one spot for whatever reason, and the studs didn't stretch, you can reuse them. My buddy with a Mustang has gone through 4 headgaskets on one set of ARP studs with minimal stretch, well under spec.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:13 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:
John Higgins wrote:Per ARP you can re-use them as long as there was no major trama to the engine (example blown head gasket).

Half right. If the headgasket gave out do to the head lifting (studs stretching) you shouldn't reuse them. If the headgasket just gave out because it broke in one spot for whatever reason, and the studs didn't stretch, you can reuse them. My buddy with a Mustang has gone through 4 headgaskets on one set of ARP studs with minimal stretch, well under spec.

Actually that was ARP's word's from Tech support. I did a question from there website lastnight after seeing this post.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:53 PM
Interesting....what I posted is what I was told in the past by ARP. o_0 Weird.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:26 AM
hmm...maybe im wrong but IIRC ARP has listed 0.001" of strech all over the installation instructions, then replace. its that easy, just mic them out and replace if needed.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:52 PM
Here is the email I was sent from my question.
Quote:

Hey John,

If you take your engine apart you can re install our bolts and or studs. Unless you have blown a head gasket or there has been any major trama to the engine. I hope this helps. Call or email if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Kristine

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:42 AM
To back up lenko, yes they are re-useable.

Just an FYI, what you can't re-use are head bolts. That's a big nono.

Besides, if you have a high performance motor, which usually involves removing the head somewhat often, the last thing you want to do is mess with the threads inside the block. Especially if it's an aluminum block.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search