best exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best exhaust
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:48 AM
i have a 2002 sunfire 2.2 ecotech and want to know what is the best exhaust system for my money. dont want spend too much

Re: best exhaust
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:55 AM
depends on how far you wanna go really and what you want it to sound like...you could get as far as doing headers, high flow cat, 2.25" piping (recommended if you're not boosting or spraying),resonator, muffler..but yeah def. 2.25" piping, resonator will make it not so loud and obnoxious and will also take out the raspy sound, muffler depends on your taste.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:08 AM
what brand of exhaust do you reccommend
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:37 AM
there really is no one "best" system. it really all depends on preference, its all up to you to decide what will give your car the best sound and performance for what you want... if youre talkin about a premade system(RKSport, Magnaflow, or anything else) then youre not really gonna find anything good for under $$600. they are all decent and pretty much the same setup, sound will range tho.(people will argue that fact tho.)
if you go the route of custom exhaust, you'll find many more options for sound and volume. now, if you go custom, i would go with 2.25" (as suggested by OhForKavaleerLSport). 2.25" will give you good upper RPM power, without a loss of low end torque. the system you will most likely want to go with(for money concerns) would be, plain black pacesetter header (available everywhere, search for cheapest... armor coated is more expensive but widely used and liked) i would go with an Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter (easiest place to get them is Gravanatuning.com) then go with a custom built, mandrel bent cat-back exhaust. find an exhaust shop that can do the mandrel bends and youre set. then anywhere it will fit, have a larger sized, perforated core glasspack muffler(of your choice...again tho, its up to you to how much you want to rid the car of raspyness) to go between the cat and muffler. then finally find a muffler and tip of your choice. go to a shop that will do those bends, and have them weld it all up, make sure you have them put in the O2 sensor in the rear end of the cat and in the header, and you wont throw any codes or anything.

this may seem like an awful lot, but its what ive learned since ive been here, and its gonna end up being a lot cheaper than a prefabbed exhaust, and itll give you a better gain in HP and TQ, almost without a doubt.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:17 PM
How much would a custom exhaust range from store to store. Also every heard of monza?
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:22 PM
Monza is Pacesetter's its crap. I spent about $1100 on my Magnaflow Dual Catback, with a DCSport Header and a 20" Thrush Glasspack.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:45 PM
yeah I've heard monza is crap..it is really loud and raspy..for my whole setup I'm under $400 right now inc installatiom..but without header or hi-flo cat..still have to get those

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:49 PM
john w wrote:How much would a custom exhaust range from store to store. Also every heard of monza?

youd have to call around and ask yourself

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:42 PM
thanks for the help
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:19 PM
Not to thread jack but If i want a loud but deep exaust (doesnt sound like a weed eater) what size resinator would you guys suggest? Here's the set up (what i got sitting at the house):

Pacesetter 4-1
magnaflow cat 2 14" in/out
and a oval magnaflow exaust (not sure the model #)

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:36 PM
riki: well the longer it is the quieter it will make your exhaust..but the shorter will make is raspy..I think longer will be better..I went out and got a 27" thrush glasspack from jeg's for ~$21..I have yet to install it though..so I'm not quite sure..

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:01 PM
now another question... Will the resinator restrict the flow any? or better yet... Will there be a noticeable diference between with or without a resinator? I run N2O so the more flow the better.

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:19 AM
I have been trying to decide between 2 exhaust systems my self. 1. the rksport single cat back or 2. the thermal system. never heard the rksport 1 but i did hear the thermal on a integra

PaCavalier
Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:20 AM
The best one would be a custom made one. Tell the mechanic what you want, and they will make it for you.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:22 AM
riki- Nah..it shouldn't hurt your performance..it is a straight thru design..but watch out cause I know some of them get smaller in the middle, my 2.25 in/out thrush goes to 2" in the middle I beleive..kinda hard to tell..so you may wanna get like 2.75" in/out and have them put adapters on or something so your flow isn't decreased. If anyone else thinks differently let him know..I'm not sure on spraying..

PaCavalier- It's hard to go by what it sounds like on another car. Every car can have a different tone of exhaust, so your best bet would prolly be try searchin around on here or other places and try to find sound clips of both exhausts and see which on you like more.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:51 AM
My Set Up

cermic pacesetter headers - ~230ish
hi flow 2.25 magnaflow cat - ~65
27inch glass pack - ~23
Magnaflow single cat back exhaust - ~600

Haven't installed yet so not sure what it sounds like but from my under standing it will have a low (quiet ) deep tone.

Just remeber if you go cheap, you will get cheap

Depending if you think headers a part of your exhaust or not i have less then a grand in my system. Most people buy the peices and have a shop custom build it. Really depends on what you want.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:55 PM
I bought a cat back off ebay, along with a tsudo header...and I had a exhaust shop weld in a hi flow cat and weld it all together...i love the way mine sounds and performs. there is no need to spend $500 on magnaflow or other top brands its all the same. everything on mine is stainless ....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search