99 eco swap.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 eco swap..
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:39 AM
Right now i am collecting parts for my 03 eco swap into my 99 2200 cavfire..lol..anyways im looking for a parts list ..from what i have been told i need everything but thats kinda vague. As of now i have the:
-engine
-tranny and mounts
-entire wire harness for car, ecu, gauge cluster, bcm
-brake booster
-clutch master and lines
-power steering lines
-throttle cable
-shift assembly and cables
Now thats all i can think of that i have as of now.....I know i need axles and a rad of course but im buying those new.
Umm now the question lies with do i need the 2000 and up steering knuckles? And also do i need the fuel lines and evap canister and gas tank to the back or can i adapt the ones i have? Is there anythign else you can think of that ill need? Any help would be great..phil

Re: 99 eco swap..
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:31 AM
Why would you need the sterring knuckles? No you do not. You do need the fuel tank, fuel lines, evap system (now will be in the back by the gas tank). Truly the brake booster it's self will be fine with your stock one. The thing to keep in mind is if you car has poaer options, and ABS, and the wiring harness you got for the swap does not, then you lose them. If you have ABS, and the new set-up does not, then you might want the brake master cylinder to match the wiring harness. You can email me if you want. I have done this swap a couple times working on our 3, and gettign ready for a 4.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:19 AM

and personally its not worth with all the work that involved.... rewiring the whole entire car sound fun to you? for the 1200 dollars or so your going to drop to do the swap you could have put towards the 2200 and have already surpassed the stock eco....

my opinion what your doing is stupid....

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:07 PM
^^^Ummm how about you look at my mod list befoe you start to beak off please..i did search and no one has done a how-to other then the proverbial "u need everything" for the pre 2000 j's that i could find. I have done almost all the bolt ons for the 2200 and it isnt worth it really..cause the way i sit its ok but the stock eco is about 130 or so stock with bolt ons you can be in the 150 area..much faster then the 2200. Yes i could do turbo but i dont live in a area that has any shops around that know how to tune or any clue and im pretty much the only modded j in the close by area. I also dont really want the hassle of turbo and all that but i do plan on goign gm supercharger which is defianatly worth it in the long run. Also i have gotten al those parts for about 300 cdn..stupid i doubt it.

John higgins..thank you..ill email you asap..phil
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:21 PM
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:26 PM
and btw if you knew anything about the 2200 youd know that its not a bolt on friendly motor... bolt ons our pretty much next to nill on almost any cavy engine... (that would be my understanding anyway) . the 2200 is restricted the most in the head and exhaust.

by looking in your registry it looks like you have not focused on either one of these areas. but what do i know im just a 2200 guy. one of the few.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:36 PM
Sorry if that came off rude drake i should rephrase..I do love the 2200....i know i havent done many extensive mods in terms of port and poilish, running differnt rockers and such. I know it is capable of much more aka alder....Those are the numbers id like to hit and with that in mind id need to spend alot of money to get the 2200 up there. Meaning i would have to build up a engine with internals and lots of machine work and all that so im doing it to a eco instead. I can get away with a decnt build up on the eco and supercharge it for less then i could build up a 2200 and turbo it..and sad to say the eco will be more relaible and there is alot more aftermarket for eco...i knwo the eco isnt the holy grail but this is my second 2.2/2200 id liek to see what everyone is raving about..hehe..phil
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:27 AM
john you said you have done this. so what all parts are involved? and how long does it usually take down time to swap?

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:03 AM
[quote=DrÃkÉ]john you said you have done this. so what all parts are involved? and how long does it usually take down time to swap?

Well a few things matter first. Year of the car it is going into, and if it is a auto or not. Also does it have A/C or do you want A/C.

If doing it on a pre 2000 car you will need everything from the ecotec car. Motor, Tranny, Axles, engine bay wiring, Radiator (some people have made the older radiators work). Hoses, upper motor mount (you can use a older motor mount, but the motor will not be level, but works). You also need inside wiring (you need wiring front to back on the Ecotec). BCM, gauge cluster, also the ignition switch (this depends on year, some plug into the cluster, some do not). If the one on your car does not plug into the cluster you should be good. Fuel tank, fuel lines. There is a extra fuel line that is for the evap system which is now in the rear of the car, so you will need the evap system as well. Exhaust, down pipe is different (the bolt pattern looks the same for a 2.4 and Ecotec but are not). The wiring is a plug and play on this swap except for the headlights (which depends on what you plan to do for headlights). What I mean is the pre 2000 cars had 2 bulbs for headlight 2000+ have 1 for both. You either have to swap to the newer headlights, or wiring the 2000+ wiring harness to the pre 2000 headlights. This can be done. The 2000+ headlights have 3 wires 2 grounds 1 power. We have done this and it works. This would be the hardest of the wiring issues. For the air bags the control module is a little different and mounted in different locations on the different years, also the bags are different starting in 2003. 2000+ bags look the same as pre 2000, but have a different connector. You can swap the connector from the 2000+ bag to your pre 2000 bag and it will work fine. You could swap sterring wheel (if it is a 2003+), but then you have to swap the sterring column as well (the shaft the wheel mounts too is different (smaller I believe). A.C systems have changed. Manily the controls. The A/C compressor from a pre 2000 car will not work with a Ecotec. Hard lines hook up to the fire wall the same. The parts inside the dash for the A/C are different. Some years A/C is all controlled by vacum hoses, and some are controled by vacum and cable. SO for a pre 2000 car you will need the stuff from under the dash as well. Only 3 bolts holding that on comes out as 1 whole unit.
Also the brake booster it's self is the same, the brake master cylinder might/could be different depending on it your car has ABS and the new set-up does or does not. Depending on what the Ecotec powered car had will depend on if you should change brake boosters. Axles will slide in all J-Body hubs with no problems.

As far as tiem to do it well everyone willbe different. Our very first swap took about a month to get everything swapped over and then we had clutch issues. The second swap we did in 2 full weekends and 1 extra day. The car was running in 2 full weekends, and we had to finish the headlights. We also was converting from a 2200 3 speed auto to a Ecotec 5 speed.

I think that is it for now. Anyone need parts let us know .MD_MotorSports@comcast.com

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search