HO mani troubles, help! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HO mani troubles, help!
Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:42 PM
When i turned it on for the first time it idled right where it was supposed to, but I can feel a ton of air blowing out from the engine bay! What did i do wrong? If it was a leak it would be sucking in cause its under vacume right? Please help!

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Re: HO mani troubles, help!
Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:46 PM
you dont have egr now and your radiator fan blows all the time that it there really id no fix for it unless you want to unplug you radiator fan

Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:48 PM
Radiator fan does not blow all the time.

You need to find out where the air is coming from.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:48 PM
I didn't think i have an EGR b/c i have an 01. I thought that was only on earlier modles.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:58 PM
The fan is on and blowing. But it wont come down from 3500 RPM. I let it run for about 5 min until my headers started to glow. Should i just replace the IAC and TPS?

Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:25 PM
If they were good before you did the swap, chances are they are good after you did the swap. You seem to have a vacuum leak somewhere, do you hear a hissing noise? Your radiator fan is blowing because you have a CEL I'm guessing.

You don't have an egr, so don't worry about that.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:26 PM
Yes i have a CEL so that is the fan problem. I don't know if the sensors were good before hand, i bought it from someone on the forum. I went and bought new sensors and i am installing now. I don't think i have a leak, i can't hear any hissing or whissleing.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:55 PM
get some aerosol like carb/choke cleaner taht will make the motor cut out, and spray the @!#$ outta the edges of the manifold to find the leak, or get a stetholoscope and take the prong off the end and go around the edges of the manifold, u will deffinatly hear a whistling noise if u find the leak.
Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:17 PM
Ok now I have problems. I got new TPS and IAC sensors and it still idles weird. I have the 2.3 T/B and i am using the 2.3 sensors. When i started it, it jumped up to 4000 rpm, sat there for about 10 seconds, then fell to 2500 and sat there. About 10 seconds later it steadily climbed back up to about 4000. Does this mean I have a vacume leak? I can't really listen for one b/c my exhaust is pretty loud and my car is in my garage so its even louder. Should I just re-install the everything using silicone sealer plus the gaskets? Right now i am just using the gaskets. Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn M.

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:23 AM
Bump for a guy in need.

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:21 AM
yes you have to use sealer or it will leak for sure you are using the 2.3 gasket iam guessing you need to use sealer with the gasket bet its a leak

Friday, May 26, 2006 12:07 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Yes i have a CEL so that is the fan problem. I don't know if the sensors were good before hand, i bought it from someone on the forum. I went and bought new sensors and i am installing now. I don't think i have a leak, i can't hear any hissing or whissleing.

The only thing that you need to know at this point is what codes are set.

sig not found
Friday, May 26, 2006 12:34 PM
I believe you have to use the 2.4 TPS, there are instructions for modifying it on the ny-jbodies.org site. You might also have to do an IAC relearn, but I don't remember what that procedure is.

Friday, May 26, 2006 12:58 PM
no if your using the 2.3 TB then you need to use the 2.3 sensors.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Friday, May 26, 2006 1:06 PM
I did the re-learn thingy, someone else told me about it. It worked, idled at 2500 for a sec, but then shot back up to 4000-4500. I have taken the manifold off and it looks like it may have been leaking at the top of the manifold. I am going to put it back on using silicone sealer. Do I put the sealer between the block and the gasket, or on each side of the adapter? Thanks again.

Shawn M.

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:29 PM
check the MAP signal line.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:19 PM
Ok i re-installed it all using silicone sealer and i cut a bolt shorter that was below the T/B end of the mani, i think i was hitting that. I did the relearn procedure and had the battery off for a few hours. Now it consistantly idles between 1500 and 2000 wavering. It stops every once and a while on 2000. It responds to throttle imputs and stuff but i can't get it to idle right. I have brand new IAC and TPS sensors, they are the 2.3 sensors for the 2.3 T/B. Any help please, i am so close to being able to drive my baby again!

Shawn M.

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:53 PM
When I tap the gas even slightly it jumps up to minimum 3000. Could i have just gotten a bad IAC or TPS? Should i put the old 2.3 ones back in or use my 2.4 sensors? I don't know if the origonal 2.3 sensors are good or not but when i was having trouble i just replaced them. I know my older problems were from a vac leak so I am wondering if i should go back to the origonal 2.3 sensors. Come on guys i know its late but i want to get this running tonight.

Shawn M.

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:00 PM
yeah i doing this install tomorow and hope i dont get any of these stupid problems.
1) did you remove your alternator to get to the last bolt on the manifold?
2) all my sensor on my 2.3 TB look just like the one on the 2.4 will they work okay? and they have the same input conectors too?
3) how long does the sealent take roughly to cure? before i start it up?
thanks
Godd luck shawn, i'll be on here all day , tomorow if my car doesnt run good enough for me lol
Friday, May 26, 2006 9:31 PM
1) I removed the alternator bolt yes
2) The 2.3 sensors plug right into the sensors already on your car, there is some argument on if you should use your 2.4 sensors or not but most people say use the sensors that match your T/B
3) The sealent i used said about an hour to cure and 24hrs to fully harden. Assuming 70 degress and 50% humidity

Can anyone help my with my problem though? Tomorrow i am going to start playing with combinations of sensors to see if that fixes the problem.

Shawn M.

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:34 PM
yep, sounds like a vacuum leak......

Make sure you have no open vac. ports on the manifold and t/b..... make sure you have the EVAP going to the right port (should be the 2nd largest one on the T/B)...... make sure there are o-rings on both the IAC and TPS...... make sure the T/B is closing all the way........ and make sure the gaskets are all sealing.

That should be about it......

Oh yea, if you dont move that stud on the front of the block, the manifold will not seal to the head and you'll have one large vacuum leak.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, May 27, 2006 3:36 AM
All the vac lines and such are in the right spots and on tight. The stud on the front of the block was my problem yesterday, i fixed that. All the gaskets and such seem to be sealed right. I don't hear any leaks and its not like it was when i had a vac leak. The T/B is closing all the way, it hits the stopper, and when it was off i dont remember there being any space betweent eh butterfly plate and the surrounding metal.

But your saying its not a bad sensor or me using the wrong one? I just realized that the NY J-bodies guide for this swap and the Quad 4 guid vary on this key issue. The NY guide says you have to use the 2.4 TPS no matter which T/B your using. The Quad 4 guide, as well as every post i can find on the matter, says to use the sensors that match the T/B your using. I think i am going to do the re-learn procedure, drive it for 15 min and if it isn't fixed after that i am going to try the 2.4 TPS.

Also the NY guide says to only use the 93+ T/B, is it that important? Cause mine matches the one in the Quad 4 guide for a 89-92 T/B.

Thanks for the imput everyone, keep it comming.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:29 AM
is the stud on the block the one with all the grounds on it? i moved it ahead of time down one hole
Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:47 AM
Then your fine. I just sawed off the last 1/4 inch of the bolt that wasn't being used and it clears fine now.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 4:58 PM
WOW, it is amazing!

All i did was use the 2.4 T/B and it runs perfect.

I can't believe how much better my car is now. I would recomend this mod even after all that i went through.
Thanks everyone for your help. Especially you shifted. This is the best mod i have done to date. I will post pics in a few hours.

Thanks again for everyone who helped.

Shawn M.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search