HO cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HO cams
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:44 PM
Ok so i read the sticky and alot of other stuff and im confused about some things. First of all i have a 2001 z24 automatic. Do i have to switch the cam towers to the 2.3 towers? Also if i have cams form a 92 beretta gtz i believe they are HO cams if i know someone who can machine the power steering hex thing do they have the lobe for the cam sensor and will they make the obd2 mad?

Re: HO cams
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:41 PM
The HO cams are far too aggressive a cam for the stock PCM... especially with an automatic (the HO motor never came in an auto). Plus, the stock PCM doesn't go past 6,500 rpm (and you're lucky to hit that without some sort of other trans mods)... the HO cams are just starting to make real power at 6,500 rpm...

So basically.... sorry.... there is little point to trying to stuff HO Quad 4 cams in your car. The secret cams or some sort of Stage 1 cams are more suited to what you should be looking for.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:18 PM
Ok thanks...but if i found the secret cams or the ones similar but without the power steering hex would they have the part for the cam sensor..or what years would? also im still not sure if i would need to change the cam towers.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:44 AM
what you need to get is a intake cam out of a 95 and only 95 cavalier with a low engine......

then for the EXHAUST CAM
you will need any cam out of a 92-94 grand am or any other car that had the LO ENGINE but you do not want the
95 exhaust cam
and yes it has the cam sensor and already has the hex drive it you get the ----95 LO INTAKE CAM

Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:05 PM
get the 95 intake, and install your GTZ HO exhaust cam with the HO tower. but keep your stock tower on the intake side with the 95 cam.

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:24 AM
i dont want to jack your tread but how do you time it after the cams are installed or will it tell you in the hahn manual????

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:21 AM
Grab a service manual. They're pretty cheap and readily available on Ebay.

The Cam Position Sensor is usually only found on OBD2 cars... which are 95+ for automatics, and 96+ for 5 speeds. So, the Quad 4 HO, being an OBD1 engine, won't have the lobe for the CPS.

As for using the HO exhaust cam and tower.... I don't know.... I've never heard of anyone doing it (but I haven't really been listening to cam discussion much lately either). I'd think it was too dramatic a cam for the stock PCM... but that's just me.

...j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search