magnaflow catback - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
magnaflow catback
Friday, May 19, 2006 3:32 PM
i bought the magnaflow single catback and its the real deal not the rksport one. i was wondering if it will sound @!#$ty without a resonator. i heard the rksport ones do but i heard these ones dont so can anyone tell me for sure.

Re: magnaflow catback
Friday, May 19, 2006 6:13 PM
If you dont like the raspy sound then get a resonator, otherwise you'll have to live with the rasp.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:55 AM
I have a Vibrant cat-back system with no resonator and the sound is not raspy. Just a strong low tone. I would go ahead and install the Magnaflow w/o the resonator and see if you like it. You can always add a resonator later.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:44 AM
Custom make your own from jegs ... its pretty much the same thing, except cheaper.

dan

Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:20 PM
Mine didnt sound that bad till i added the header and highflow cat. A resonator was on the car about a week later.

Monday, May 22, 2006 3:03 PM
i would think for magnaflow you wouldnt even need a resonator
Monday, May 22, 2006 4:00 PM
dj virus01 wrote:i would think for magnaflow you wouldnt even need a resonator

why would you think that?
unless its a stock cat and exhaust mainfold, youre gonna get some kinda rasp no matter what system you use (pre-fab, or custom).

anyway, almost all aftermarket systems will sound somewhat raspy without a resonator (glasspack muffler with a perforated core)
id drive around for a while with the system all setup and everything tight, untill you break it in a bit. then see how you like the sound of it. if you like it with some rasp(or whatever it may be), good! if not, id suggest getting a resonator.

good luck man!

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:46 PM
hum last i knew rk sports was magnaflow, all stamped and whatnot....

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:19 AM
two different systems, Magnaflow made two setups for RKSport, then have two designs of their own.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:30 AM
well, basically its the same setup... the piping should be identical for the duals and the singles respectively... the only difference between the 2 is that RKSport systems have really big, round style mufflers, while magnaflow has decent sized, oval mufflers. otherwise its just stamped different. i really dont see magnaflow making 2 completely different systems for the same purposes, with the only difference being mufflers and stamping.

so yes, magnaflow and RKSport are technically the same systems.

whatever, this is just samantics, its not like it really matters to the situation at hand, lol.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:25 AM
the rk and magnaflow are 2 complete different systems

rk's was built by magnaflow to rk's specs

magnaflows was built to magnaflows specs

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:50 AM
i must of mis-understood...i thought magnaflow made all their mufflers with a perforated core,mesh wrap and fiber fill etc etc...making it a deep tone...so resonator or glasspack wasnt needed...but o well..im still learning...
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:32 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]the rk and magnaflow are 2 complete different systems

rk's was built by magnaflow to rk's specs

magnaflows was built to magnaflows specs

and now i know!... it makes sense, lol.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 5:13 PM
just put on my dual cat back from magnaflow courtesey of gravana tuning and it sounds great ! It does make a loud a** raspy noise for like the first two blocks (till it gets warmed up?) but then sounds awsome in my opinion very low growl at idle and noticably not as high pitched as the round type mufflers. Right now I'm still running stock cat and header though so who knows what the difference would be when they are changed out.

click my sig - later....

Monday, July 31, 2006 6:20 AM
i have a magnaflow cat back with magnaflow cat and headers it was raspy at the beginning (of course) but after warmed up is was better but it was loud. so i put a resonator. now it sound neither loud and neither stock for me it has a good low tone. and nothing raspy not even cold

Monday, July 31, 2006 9:24 AM
never heard an RK system i like personally but everyones tastes differ.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search