Patriot head for 2200ohv - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Patriot head for 2200ohv
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:12 PM
Hey everybody wus up. I was just wondering if anybody has this head on their cavy or sunfire. I' ve heard that they are really great on camreos. I really dont know much on these heads so if anybody has any info that would be great like, what kind of performance do they make. Or if there's a better head on the market for j's. They seem to be a great price.

http://sites.reachtheworld.tv/waterNew/default.asp?T=505242&DID=1225
here's the link.

Re: Patriot head for 2200ohv
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:42 PM
Well since it says for the 2.2 OHV, they may not actually be making it for the 2200 OHV - there is a slight difference in the head, I believe. The cost does look good though.

Mantapart has a head for $850 that is specifically for a 2200 OHV.

J-Body Performance also has a head package...but it's much much more expensive - $1979.10. Their port and polished head is $810 - doesn't include all of the new valves, valve springs, or pushrods though.
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:25 AM
Yes Patriot Performance makes a head for both the 2.2L and the 2200. They come in Stge I and Stage II. Get in contact with Ryne/Hypsy/team Vision Racing. He doesn't have them listed in his storefront, but he can get them. Just PM/e-mail him for more information. He'll get you a good deal on the heads.

As for Mantapart, they do good work, if you can ever get their products.

And JBP has been having some serious quality problems, especially lately.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:17 PM
Thanks for the info so whats the best head for cavaliers or whats the most popular ones.
Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:31 AM
I'm dealing with them right now. Got my head in from them, tore my whole engine apart, installed the new one, and BAM! The number 3 spark plug hole is way off and oblonged. So just make sure you check it before you lay down $600 or so to put a new head on your car. Or tear it apart yourself and not want to redo it. Although it did look really good and got a thumbs up from all the mechanics.
Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:08 AM
I originally was going to do this upgrade but havnt heard of enough background feedback on the product, or even good/ bad stories. so until then im leaving that aspect of it alone, looking at your registry though theres many other things you could do with that money on your car where you might be happier.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:46 AM
Riley Webb wrote:I'm dealing with them right now. Got my head in from them, tore my whole engine apart, installed the new one, and BAM! The number 3 spark plug hole is way off and oblonged. So just make sure you check it before you lay down $600 or so to put a new head on your car. Or tear it apart yourself and not want to redo it. Although it did look really good and got a thumbs up from all the mechanics.

whos head had the crappy spark plug hole? patriot?
Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:50 AM
Yes, but Patriot is taking care of me very well to get the replacement head. Also, on what CarbonCavi said, there are alot of other things you can do, but it has been stated on the JBO that the Head is probably the most restricting thing on the 2200. Don't ask me where, I've done my searching and reading so that's why its my next step.
Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:24 AM
what kind of horsepower gains can you look for with a head replacement?

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:23 PM
I hve talked to Mr. Webb about his issues. The nearest I can figure out is that the head he got is a reman'd core head that was sent in with a bad plug hole that wasn't caught on their visual inspections.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:46 PM
So much for Q.C.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:15 PM
Hey hypsy does patriot really carry a 2200 head? The only thing on their web site i saw was the 2.2 or pre 98 ohv head. And if thats true how much?

Thanks

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:54 AM
Another thing that wont nessicarily ( i cant spell ) give you more horsepower but will help go faster if thats the goal, is a lightweight flywheel and lsd. ive heard thats just as equal as a head replacement as far as noticable gain in acceleration.

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:27 AM
so patriot, mantapart, and jbperformance make heads for the 2200... who would everyone recomend?

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:13 AM
Carbon Cavi wrote:Another thing that wont nessicarily ( i cant spell ) give you more horsepower but will help go faster if thats the goal, is a lightweight flywheel and lsd. ive heard thats just as equal as a head replacement as far as noticable gain in acceleration.

I'm sorry but your wrong. A port and polished head will DEFINAELY give you power gains. There are cases where some cars get upwards of 20+ HP just by porting and polishing a restrive head.

Juice Pushrods: When I placed the order I told them it was for a 99 2200. I'll call again and make sure they have both in stock since they are different though.

The more I think about Riley, the more I wonder if you didn't get the wrong head by accident? Been known to happen occasionally from companies with a lot of similar parts stacked together. LOL.

Anyone know the EXACT differences between the two heads? This is the first time I had the head sent directly to the customer and not to me for checking before hand and I want to make sure I catch anything like this next time.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:23 AM
i trust JBP as they did cams and other mods to my car. first hand, best customer service and quality. never had a problem with them. Mev is very knowledgeable. You have to see their heads in person.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:48 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:Anyone know the EXACT differences between the two heads?
Between the 2.2L and 2200?
2.2L) round conbustion chambers, round intake ports, "lump" in exhaust ports
2200) heart-shaped combustion chambers, squared intake ports, smaller exhaust ports, "lump" in intake ports
There are many others, such as coolant passages, but these are the basics.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 6:48 PM
ok ok well then what kind of head are ya'll using. And what all consist in a fully loaded performance head cuz i see lot that say they come assembled but still have to get more parts. And jbp seems like they have more performance parts for our cars but i dont understand how to buy some of the stuff cuz it say buy the core first or buy the p&p.
Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:35 AM
I read up on this about using the 2200 head on a 2.2L.

Not exactly sure what to think, but I do need to get a port matched p&p for the 95 ln2 we're building. My question is, can it be ordered with matched headers and custom intake manifold. Reason i ask for custom intake is i'm looking at doing a custom supercharger from something with a SC that mounts on the intake.

I've found several ford SC's for the thunderbird, but i'd rather not use a ford product on my chevy, well then again what do you all think.
Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:55 AM
Erica wrote:ok ok well then what kind of head are ya'll using. And what all consist in a fully loaded performance head cuz i see lot that say they come assembled but still have to get more parts. And jbp seems like they have more performance parts for our cars but i dont understand how to buy some of the stuff cuz it say buy the core first or buy the p&p.
I would reccommend staying away from JBP's head , especially if you have a 2200. Their springs/retainers/locks were matched for the 2.2L, using guide-plates. If using them on the 2200, you'd be stuck with stock rockers unless you want to have some guideplates made up. Also, the 2200 has a shorter installed height for the springs, meaning you'll have an increased seated pressure, and less availible lift before binding. IMO, it's better just to read up on head porting and then do your own, all you need is a dremel. If you're looking for a heavy port job, then look towards patriot or JBP to port your bare head, and just re-use your stock valvetrain. If it's high-mileage, get new stock springs. A performace valvetrain really isn't needed for a daily-driven J, so unless you're building for 300+ with boost, or 200+ NA, don't worry about it.
C Smyth wrote:I read up on this about using the 2200 head on a 2.2L.
Not exactly sure what to think, but I do need to get a port matched p&p for the 95 ln2 we're building. My question is, can it be ordered with matched headers and custom intake manifold. Reason i ask for custom intake is i'm looking at doing a custom supercharger from something with a SC that mounts on the intake.
I've found several ford SC's for the thunderbird, but i'd rather not use a ford product on my chevy, well then again what do you all think.
If you're planning on building a custom intake manifold, don't try using the 2200 head on a 2.2L, as the only benefit is the top-feed injectors. You'll also end up with smaller exhaust runners, lower availible valve lift, and a cooling mess to be figured out. Patriot won't be able to do custom port-matching (at least not at a reasonable cost) since their ports are CNC'ed, and they wouldn't want to be creating a one-off program. Once again, do some reading, pick up a dremel, and go to town.
Remember, GM, Ford, Mercedes...all Eaton blowers, it's not like Ford made it, it's just made for a Ford. Nobody seems to have a problem running Ford injectors on their motors around here...If you just HAVE to go GM, I think the old GTPs used the same size blower as the SuperCoupe.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about a port match on a 2.2L(in. or ex.) or the intake runner on the 2200. The problem lies in the bowl area(behind the valve seat up to the valve guide boss). The runners are actually pretty decent, just a smoothing of the surface is all that is really needed there. Very little is gained by making the runner bigger, but you could lose low end torque.

The biggest thing needed is to reduce the valve guide boss and/or give it an aero-wing type taper. Also, open up the area just behind the valve seat and blend it with the runner and valve seat area. Try to make the transition from the runner to the valve seat gentle as possible. DON"T CUT INTO OR NICK THE VALVE SEAT!

A note for those doing the 2200: You should open up the runner on the exhaust, but don't go too far or you'll run into the water jacket. You can port match the exhaust runner to a stock exhaust gasket, but stay about .080" to .100" smaller than the gaskets port. If you use a header, be sure that the primary ports are larger than the exhaust port on the head, or you'll get major reversion problems (i.e., don't use a 2.2L header).

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:25 PM
I wasn't actually planning on using a 2200 head, though i do need larger injector ports. We were planning on machining the 2.2 head for larger injectors. I did find that nobody here in montana can flowtest a p&p which really pissed me off. I mean, all these race shops and not a single one can flow test?

MadJack wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about a port match on a 2.2L(in. or ex.) or the intake runner on the 2200. The problem lies in the bowl area(behind the valve seat up to the valve guide boss). The runners are actually pretty decent, just a smoothing of the surface is all that is really needed there. Very little is gained by making the runner bigger, but you could lose low end torque.

The biggest thing needed is to reduce the valve guide boss and/or give it an aero-wing type taper. Also, open up the area just behind the valve seat and blend it with the runner and valve seat area. Try to make the transition from the runner to the valve seat gentle as possible. DON"T CUT INTO OR NICK THE VALVE SEAT!

A note for those doing the 2200: You should open up the runner on the exhaust, but don't go too far or you'll run into the water jacket. You can port match the exhaust runner to a stock exhaust gasket, but stay about .080" to .100" smaller than the gaskets port. If you use a header, be sure that the primary ports are larger than the exhaust port on the head, or you'll get major reversion problems (i.e., don't use a 2.2L header).

I'm planning on building a matched intake for the sc i chose, as for smaller exhaust runners that's not good. I wouldn't mind doing my own port n polish but i like to flowtest to make sure it's within a certain spec.

[quote OHV notech]If you're planning on building a custom intake manifold, don't try using the 2200 head on a 2.2L, as the only benefit is the top-feed injectors. You'll also end up with smaller exhaust runners, lower availible valve lift, and a cooling mess to be figured out. Patriot won't be able to do custom port-matching (at least not at a reasonable cost) since their ports are CNC'ed, and they wouldn't want to be creating a one-off program. Once again, do some reading, pick up a dremel, and go to town.
Remember, GM, Ford, Mercedes...all Eaton blowers, it's not like Ford made it, it's just made for a Ford. Nobody seems to have a problem running Ford injectors on their motors around here...If you just HAVE to go GM, I think the old GTPs used the same size blower as the SuperCoupe.
Monday, May 22, 2006 9:16 AM
If anyone wants to try a custom P and P I have 2 spare heads I need to get rid of really cheap.. Hit me up with an e-mail...

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/importkilla32/Bullit.JPG
Monday, May 22, 2006 7:17 PM
Erica wrote:Hey everybody wus up. I was just wondering if anybody has this head on their cavy or sunfire. I' ve heard that they are really great on camreos. I really dont know much on these heads so if anybody has any info that would be great like, what kind of performance do they make. Or if there's a better head on the market for j's. They seem to be a great price.

http://sites.reachtheworld.tv/waterNew/default.asp?T=505242&DID=1225
here's the link.

Just save your $$ and buy my turbo kit. You will have way more power with my turbo kit than you would with that Partriot head. And I am right down the street for the install.

I have heard that the Patriot heads for the Mustangs with the 2 valve and 4 valve modular motors are crap. I will try to find out more info.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:25 PM
And the 2200 heads cannot be ported too much on the intake side. The intake ports are almost perfectly matched to the intake runners on the intake manifold.

Oh yea Erica, I still have the ported head from my built motor for sale. The exhaust side is ported, gasket matched, and polished. The intake side barely has any porting, but it is polished. The head has been milled .015 of an inch, comes with SI stainless steel valves, 5 angle valve job, and new valve guides & new valve seals installed before I put it on my built block.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search