header problems - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
header problems
Monday, May 15, 2006 11:59 PM
Ok so im going on about 8 months with my pacesetter header..... Ive had this problem since that was installed where my car constantly throws p0133 codes. my first attempt was I picked up a new sensor from autozone and replaced it and that helped it for a short period time. But it came back so I decided to go buy a scanner to just erase it when it came up. now it seems like every 20 miles or so its throwin a that code. Its really starting to bother me cause I had someone with hp tuners reflash my car. I noticed right after the reflash i got a decent amount of power gain but he didnt change anything to make a performance gain on my motor. All he did was up my idle points, remove my speed limiter, change fan turn on points, and turn off a few DTC so they cant throw. I didnt have him disable the main O2 cause the fact that its what the motor runs off for tuning. So My question is what can I do exactly to correct this cause im feeling my car lose performance and it throws the code over and over again.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....

Re: header problems
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:19 AM
Did you extend the upper 02 sensor (the one that goes into the down pipe) ... or did you open up the loom and yank more wire out of there?

dan

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:11 AM
I had kind of a similar problem, first my rear o2 sensor went in the cat, then the one in the header ( same header only i have a 2200 ) and my car just ATE gas. so i replaced both sensors and knock on wood im going on my 3rd month of code free driving, but in total ive had mine on for about 8 months, so im gonna probably watch this thread to see what you guys come up with.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:50 AM
i would try and cut the o2 sensor bung down , about half of its height

the thread is 18mm x 1.5 , you will need to make sure the threads are good after you cut it down

ive had my header on for close to 9-10 months and about 10,000 miles , of beating the hell outta my cav , and not 1 issue with the o2 sensor

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:47 PM
The way MOST people get their upper 02 sensor error is because they extended the wires by using the wire that comes with it. Now, it may sound stupid BUT the way the computer works is that if the sensor doesnt respond within a certian time it will "fail" and cause an error in your PCM.

dan

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:26 PM
I've read about a few problems with people getting the p0133 code on their cars after installing the header.

Basically, DTC P0133 means "Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response". Because the bungs on the Pacesetters are so long, the oxygen sensor is further up away from the exhaust gas stream, hence it is slower to respond.

As 97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™) said, cut the sensor bung down to about half it's height. I'd prefer to use a grinder myself, but whatever works for you, I guess.

It's strange though, I haven't got that code on my car, and I've had the Pacesetter for almost 3 months. And I also had no problems with the O2 sensor wiring, it bolted right up. Maybe GM was feeling generous with my car and gave me some extra wiring...

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:20 PM
^^ they give everybody extra wiring. If you go back far enough in the loom, there is suposed to be an extra 4" or so. I only get a error on my lower one. Only because I have the high flow cat. The code doesnt hurt my mileage or the performance of my car, so why would I care? But like I said. We need to know if you used the original wiring ... or the extended wiring that came with the header? That right there, is your deciding factor why you are throwing a code.

dan

Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:11 PM
I had the same problem, just had to make sure to extend the wire as little as humanly possible.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 7:40 AM
no i didnt extend the wires at all...... I thought about grinding down the bung cause I figured thats why it was getting a slow reading. but im gonna try cutting it down like 97cavie said. that would be my assumption on why it gets a slow reading. other then that idk what to do. Also I forgot but what sensor is the factory brand ac delco or bosch. I went to autozone and got my sensor and it may have been a bosch but i dont remember.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:46 AM
For those sensors ... go to the dealership. Good luck finding them at a parts store.

Also, I know this will be a stupid question. But could you take a quick picture of your upper 02 sensor?

dan

Saturday, May 20, 2006 2:15 PM
would the 02 sensor function properly with out catalyctic converter ? would it hurt the performace or just throw a code?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search