Another DIS-2 Post - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Another DIS-2 Post
Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:25 PM
I just paid for a DIS-2. Woo. When I install it, would you guys say it would be better to use MSD Coil Packs with spark plug wires, or use the stock coil packs without spark plug wires? I know few people have experience with the Dis-2, I'm hoping for Rodumus or Owen Stampflee to chime in.

Re: Another DIS-2 Post
Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:57 AM
You can do either, I havent used the msd coils yet so I dont have a frame of reference as to which is better with more power or more gas mileage, using the stock coils ive had my setup on for about 20k so I dont really think theres any durability issues

The nice thing is you can switch to either back and forth pretty easy, I can switch back to a stock ignition in about 2 min with the quick connect plugs,, with plug wires it might take a few min, I did mine as kinda a stage thing I didnt have the extra $$$ to dish out at the time to get the msd coils and wires and at that time nobody even knew if it worked at all, so its not like you cant hook on the box now and then in a few months weeks whatever switch up to the msd coils

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:30 AM
What would be the point of switching back to the stock ignition?

Monday, May 15, 2006 9:32 AM
I would recommend you get both the MSD coils and wires. I have the 8.5 mm superconductor wires and the blaster coils on my setup and I love it! MSD does recommend that you use a spiral core spark plug wire and not a solid core. The Magnecore wires are also very good. The DIS-2 will work fine with stock coils...but it only makes sense to upgrade the whole ignition system.

here is a pic

Monday, May 15, 2006 9:48 AM
I highly doubt the coils give you a big gain, but they make spark plug changes/inspections easy as pie.

Monday, May 15, 2006 10:16 AM
Also, I failed to mention that, the MSD coils and coil pack adapters are the EASIEST way to wire the DIS-2..otherwise you must cut the wires on the coil pack electrical connections.

you need these:

MSD Coil Interface Module Kit Set Cavalier/Sunfire 1995-2002 2.2L
SKU: MSD8870

Monday, May 15, 2006 12:27 PM
sometimes you might need to switch back to stock, for instance i was coming back from the bash last year and the motor was cutting out, turns out my 2 step wire was cut and it was accidently grounding out and killing my spark above 3000rpm , in the middle of the night on the turnpike i didnt have time to troubleshoot so i swapped back to stock and got it home

Monday, May 15, 2006 12:34 PM
Casey> wrote:you need these:

MSD Coil Interface Module Kit Set Cavalier/Sunfire 1995-2002 2.2L
SKU: MSD8870

Are you saying for an Ecotec I'd need that Interface Module Kit from the 2.2?

Monday, May 15, 2006 1:18 PM
No you don't... all you need is the napa connectors, and the cam sync generator. That will allow you to keep your IDI cover, and switch back to stock if needed. Rodimus has a GREAT write up on his site for doing this.

I'm keeping the IDI cover and following Rodimus' walk through. I have the DIS 2, and am currentally "adjusting" the napa connectors. All i need is the cam sync generator, which should be here in the next week or so.

If you want to remove the IDI cover, and run plug wires, then you will need the coil packs and Interface Module Kit.

Monday, May 15, 2006 1:55 PM
if you use the coils, you need the interface packs.

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:14 PM
at some point here soon im going to do the coil conversion and im going to do a similar write up and make some adjustments to the one thats up based on some feedback ive gotten, things like dip switch settings and such, and clear up some parts a lil better

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 12:27 AM
Rodimus,

Few questions...

Did you ever figgure out how to get the ICM to sit flush?
Do you have a pic of how raised the ICM is?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:15 AM
nah not really it sits kinda an inch above loosely i used a zip tie to secure it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search