Coolin fan bypass switch help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolin fan bypass switch help
Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:24 PM
I followed almost exactly wild weasels instructions to put this together and they are amazing instructions, more photos would be better but its a very very clear walkthrough, i used all 18 gauge wires, the rectifier diode, but i didnt put in the resistor before the switch, i figured it wasnt a big deal, but after i rolled around with it for a while i flipped the switch and it threw a code at me i believe the code was P0480? not 100% sure if that was it, but is this because i skipped over the resistor? or am i safe without it? there wasnt really an explanation on why that resistor was needed.

Re: Coolin fan bypass switch help
Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:08 PM
P0480=Cooling Fan 1 Circuit. Thats probably because the voltage is out of parameters.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:46 PM
the reason i didnt put the resistor on is 1. i didnt have my soldering iron with me when i did it and i didnt think it was going to hold the wire without it, and 2. i ended up buying 3 different resistors... a .56ohm, 56 ohm and a 56k ohm because i was supperrrr sure and wanted someone to clarify which one to use. I know on wild weasels site it says 56 ohm but i just wanted someone to verify that incase there was a typo

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:48 PM
u use a resister?.. all i did was splice into the ground wire and run it to a switch..we talkin bout the same thing??

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:11 PM
I didnt use a resistor when I did it and it works great, although it threw a code at first because I put the diode in backwards. once i figured that out, flipped it around and it was fine. no resistor. I don't think the resistor is needed anyway because its only a ground switch. but i could be wrong

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:53 PM
yes, we're talking about the same thing, and im almost positive that i put that diode in right, correct me if im wrong but the green wire goes to the ECU as a ground meaning current flows in that way, and from the fuse box to the ECU it should go, anode-cathode correct? i'll have to pull it apart tomorrow and check it out just to make sure i didnt put it on backwards

Friday, May 12, 2006 9:23 AM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=107497&t=107497

there's a couple pics I took. The cathode side of the diode (with the gray stripe) is on the side going to the ECU, opposite of the fuseblock. I'd guess you have it in the wrong way if you're throwing a code.
Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:21 AM
Fan mod. Special thanks to Wild Weasel.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:27 AM
Uhh, this was supposed to be an answer to another post. Sry!!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:48 AM
Oh my god those directions are horrible!!!

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:55 AM
The syntax of the directions or theory behind the mod. I followed pretty much these instructions using the diode and resistor with a rocker switch without any problems. There may be either a simpler method or better write up though.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:50 AM
There is. The very first directions for this mod is better (in my opinion). Truly all you have to do is hook up a wire and ground the factory relay. That is how it gets turned on. Hook up a switch to the ground on the relay (I do not remember which wire it is). Mine I have another relay wired in. Workes great, but I have had the relays go bad a couple times. The factory relay when signaled by the ECU grounds out turning the fan on.

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:17 AM
Here is the one I have. This was the orginal way. Fan override

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:55 AM
So there isn't any problem with throwing a code? If I'm not mistaken that was the whole purpose of using the diode so the ecu wouldn't be able to tell, and the resistor so if you turned the AC on (or any reason that the ecu would have turned on the fan) it would drop the bypass out electrically since current will flow through the point of least resistance. Actually, I'm hoping you say there isn't a problem. That way in the future I'll be sure to point someone to the original way you've shown instead of worrying about soldering/heatshrinking a diode and resistor in.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:26 AM
ohvrolla wrote:So there isn't any problem with throwing a code? If I'm not mistaken that was the whole purpose of using the diode so the ecu wouldn't be able to tell, and the resistor so if you turned the AC on (or any reason that the ecu would have turned on the fan) it would drop the bypass out electrically since current will flow through the point of least resistance. Actually, I'm hoping you say there isn't a problem. That way in the future I'll be sure to point someone to the original way you've shown instead of worrying about soldering/heatshrinking a diode and resistor in.

No it does not throw a code. I know many J's I have done this way on. I can turn it on right now with the car on or off and let it run until my battery dies, no code. Also if I ever have to do this again I will not use a relay, but just a switch to ground the factory relay.

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:58 AM
Can anyone tell me how to do this with no relay?

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:06 PM
Phlatcav wrote:Can anyone tell me how to do this with no relay?

You need a switch hooked up so it grounds the #86 pole on the factory relay in the fuse block under the hood.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:32 PM
I got another question...can I hook up an adjustable thermostat in this fashion as well, like the flex-a-lite ones? so that it is still automatic, but is set to like 160 instead of 220.

if not, I'll just hook in the switch and wire in a relay that is controlled by the ignition so that it will shut the fan off if the car is off.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:12 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Phlatcav wrote:Can anyone tell me how to do this with no relay?

You need a switch hooked up so it grounds the #86 pole on the factory relay in the fuse block under the hood.

thats how i had it on my 97 cavalier and NEVER EVER had problems with it.. worked great...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search