Catylitic Converter? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Catylitic Converter?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:48 PM
Has anyone tokken it off their 2.4?? i know its illegal but so is street racing I was wondering if it raspy as hell and could i live with it. I dont have emissions check in my state soooo... anyone done it

01' Sunfire Gt,Auto,CAI,Exhaust,17'' Black Hot Wheels rems with machined lip. 15.9@84,2.2 60'. Pics to come soon when i get it lowered

Re: Catylitic Converter?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:03 PM
its illegal in to be removed or tampered with , in any state , its a federal law

wether its enforced or not is a different issue

but to answer the noise question , yes it will get louder and more raspy

Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:15 PM
and you will not gain anything from it being "tokken" off

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:45 PM
I dont know about not gaining anything, but I took mine off and it sounds good to me and the group I hang out with. I welded the shell of the catalyst to a straight pipe and used an o2 sim. for echeck in Ohio. Hope that helps you.
Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:49 PM
what about just hollowing it out. will that throw a code and mess with the air fuel ratio or any thing?

Dark for fear of failure
An inner gloom as wide as an eye and fermenting
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Flowering forth foul nectar
The space between a blink and a tear
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:02 PM
I've had it replaced with a test pipe, it had a deep sound but a loss of torque. Although, it went very faster on the highway due to the increase in horses. So all in all a test pipe lost torque, gained some power, and was louder.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Friday, May 12, 2006 1:39 AM
Well my experience with it would be i had a decent power gain. I had a 89 s-10 with a 4.3 v6 with 189k on it. I took it to the track for the first time a ran a 16.9, bout a month later i took the cat, off and ran it again and pulled a 16.6. Wich is a pretty big gain for nothin. I know every car is different just wanted to know your guys opinions Thanks

01' Sunfire Gt,Auto,CAI,Exhaust,17'' Black Hot Wheels rems with machined lip. 15.9@84,2.2 60'. Pics to come soon when i get it lowered
Friday, May 12, 2006 2:26 AM
quarter mile time are not accurate to gauge power gain.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:00 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:quarter mile time are not accurate to gauge power gain.

That is not 100% true. MPH increase shows HP increase. SO if they increase MPH then you can say they increased power. MPH is part of your 1/4 mile time.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 12, 2006 9:59 AM
When you go to the track there are 15 other variables which can effect 1/4 times, so actually he is right. You cant guage performance gains by that little of a difference in 1/4 mile times. The only way to guage is put it on a dyno and make consecutive runs.

Also on a truck with 189k, its possible the cat was just clogged up and removing it basically gave you back performance it had when the cat was new. If you had put on a new cat most likely would have done the same thing, but no way to know for sure without putting it on the dyno.

John Higgins wrote:

That is not 100% true. MPH increase shows HP increase. SO if they increase MPH then you can say they increased power. MPH is part of your 1/4 mile time.

15.149 @ 91.26mph 3-18-2006
Friday, May 12, 2006 1:00 PM
Yea thats all true!! Guess ill just have to find out myself i guess. Never find out unless you try. Thanks guys!!!

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:30 PM
BlackEco wrote:When you go to the track there are 15 other variables which can effect 1/4 times, so actually he is right. You cant guage performance gains by that little of a difference in 1/4 mile times. The only way to guage is put it on a dyno and make consecutive runs.

Also on a truck with 189k, its possible the cat was just clogged up and removing it basically gave you back performance it had when the cat was new. If you had put on a new cat most likely would have done the same thing, but no way to know for sure without putting it on the dyno.

John Higgins wrote:

Like I said before MPH shows Horsepower. Talk to racers they will tell you this. Anyone with real track experience can tell you yes times will vary day to day at the track. There is many variables you are correct. Usually MPH does not vary that much. I can run my car and be 2-3 tenths off between runs, but my MPH is always right around the same. I will agree dyno is the best option for firguring out if you gained power, but track can be used.

I find it funny this topic has went this way. Normally when someone claims they have done something and it made a difference the first thing we hear people say on this site is get us dyno numbers and track times. Now when we start talking track times people want to talk that down.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:21 AM
buddy pinch it off
Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:41 AM
i have a 03 4 door i removed mine. i lost some torque but gained some top end. i went from a 15.62@86.68 down to a 15.27@89.00.
Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:59 AM
streetfighterz wrote:what about just hollowing it out. will that throw a code and mess with the air fuel ratio or any thing?

My cat's gutted and I haven't had any issues until a couple weeks ago. I tossed an ignitioin coil, and after I fixed it I got another code on top of the misfire code. I had it scanned and it was the 2nd O2 sensor. Catalyst malfunction. I had them clear the codes and I haven't had any more issues.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 5:17 PM
Probably just cut it off and get the o2 simulator

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search