Anyone else angry with their J? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone else angry with their J?
Monday, March 27, 2006 10:56 AM
Recently, I spent a ton of money on my car. $130 for the mouts install, $300 for the exhaust install, and $125 for the stripped o2 sensor I had. The car runs fine. But he gains I got from all this stuff doesn't justify the money spent on it. The car vibrates like hell b/c of the mount. EVERYTHING rattles now. Everything. I took a 3 hour trip yesterday and my ears nearly bled. Even with an 18" resonator it sucked. Does anyone else feel like this? Like they've wasted their time and money on a car that still isn't fast, and all comfort was sacrificed to make it that way? Sure it looks nice with the exhaust on it, but still not worth it. Any others?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283

Re: Anyone else angry with their J?
Monday, March 27, 2006 11:07 AM
Quote:

Does anyone else feel like this? Like they've wasted their time and money on a car that still isn't fast, and all comfort was sacrificed to make it that way?

i sure am glad i realized that BEFORE i spent a crap load of money on a slow car...

trust me, you aren't the only one.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, March 27, 2006 11:13 AM
honestly how much did you expect to notice w/ an exhaust?

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:15 AM
I was expecting much, honestly. I expected a difference. What I didn't expect was it being obnoxiously loud with the header and cat added to my cat back.

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:16 AM
I'm going to guess that at some point on here you read solid engine mounts will make the car rattle. Did you not believe what you read?

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, March 27, 2006 11:25 AM
horray for being flamed....

Yes, I read those posts. I underestimated exactly how much it would rattle. I think a lot of the rattling is the exhaust too.

Chris Mackinlay wrote: I was expecting much, honestly. I expected a difference.

That should be "I wasn't expecting much."

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:49 AM
It's all about what you want really. I've dumped tons of money in my J over the last few years (glad I did too!) and it's still only running a best 15.2 in the 1/4! Looks darn good I think but it's an econo box and that is something I realized years ago!

I drove my Cavy for almost 4 years as my daily driver before I bought another car for myself. Always had two cars but the wife drove the other for the most part. I guess if it's about comfort then I'd suggest you not modify the car anymore for performance. Go for looks and a nice system and you'll be happy.

If performance is your plan...be prepared to spend $$$$$$$ and you'll loose the comfy stuff! Just my thoughts...not flaming or anything.

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Monday, March 27, 2006 11:55 AM
That's pretty much exactly what I've realized in the last week, BlueDeuce. You can't take an economy car, make it fast, then expect it to ride comfortably. I've learned a lot from it. Next car, definately going boost as my firsts performance mod.

Monday, March 27, 2006 12:39 PM
what kinda gains were u expecting? you really didn't do much

save for a GM charger and you will see some noticable differences

Monday, March 27, 2006 12:42 PM
you spent $130 for someone to install motor mounts for you??
you could of done that yourself within an hour, maybe 2

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, March 27, 2006 12:43 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:That's pretty much exactly what I've realized in the last week, BlueDeuce. You can't take an economy car, make it fast, then expect it to ride comfortably. I've learned a lot from it. Next car, definately going boost as my firsts performance mod.

how about the next car is fast from the factory...thats the best way to go.

GO PATS!!!

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:26 PM
99redz24 wrote:you spent $130 for someone to install motor mounts for you??
you could of done that yourself within an hour, maybe 2

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:48 PM
The lower mount I could have done, but not the transmission ones. My dad didnt want to mess with it. Anyway, I'm done modding it.

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:50 PM
Go set off alarms in an underground parkade.... it'll all be worth it

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:59 PM
Lenko wrote: Go set off alarms in an underground parkade.... it'll all be worth it

Actually, I do that almost daily. Greatest feeling ever.

Monday, March 27, 2006 8:10 PM
whats the car run

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:36 PM
BlueDeuce (dnt02cavls) wrote:It's all about what you want really. I've dumped tons of money in my J over the last few years (glad I did too!) and it's still only running a best 15.2 in the 1/4! Looks darn good I think but it's an econo box and that is something I realized years ago!

I drove my Cavy for almost 4 years as my daily driver before I bought another car for myself. Always had two cars but the wife drove the other for the most part. I guess if it's about comfort then I'd suggest you not modify the car anymore for performance. Go for looks and a nice system and you'll be happy.

If performance is your plan...be prepared to spend $$$$$$$ and you'll loose the comfy stuff! Just my thoughts...not flaming or anything.
Dude my thoughts exactly. I added some camaro tips to my car and they were loud as hell. And still drove the thing from California to Washington. Came back got a quieter muffler and I'm in more in love with my car then I ever been. i think MY next modd will be a supercharger.

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Monday, March 27, 2006 9:44 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Go set off alarms in an underground parkade.... it'll all be worth it

its more fun when you can do that with the car idleing

i spent hours in college doing that with my elcamino

dont know what to tell the thread starter , i got a nice difference with my header and cat , ive got no resonator , and rk crappy's single cat back , while cruising , its still quiet inside

only when accelorating it gets loud , and inside its tame sounding with the windows up

Monday, March 27, 2006 10:01 PM
Quote:

whats the car run

I have yet to go to a track. Sometime soon though.

Monday, March 27, 2006 10:13 PM
Thats why I feel that cavs were meant to be show cars. With all the different mods out there, practically every cavalier is different. If you wanted a car that can go fast then I would have done a little more research on what car to buy.
Monday, March 27, 2006 10:19 PM
honestly...i here ya.....i absolutly hate my j

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:55 AM
Quote:

$130 for the mouts install, $300 for the exhaust install, and $125 for the stripped o2 sensor I had. The car runs fine. But he gains I got from all this stuff doesn't justify the money spent on it

130$ for the mount?
300$ for an exhaust?

In that list all you have is the exhaust. You won't gain much and before saying anything, did you search before buying? if you did your exhaust and it's too loud it's because you didn't search and bought parts like a noob.

Second, do your thing by yourself. you got ripped off on everything you changed. If you're too dumb to change an 02 sensor, you're too dumb to drive a car. If you had searched, you would have found that 5-10hp is not something that you will feel. You bought mounts thinking it will do a miracle. You have a stock car! Unless you understand that performance is with the ENGINE, you'll waste money.

So stop your rant and learn how to search. buy the RIGHT stuff and learn how your car work.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:59 AM
Someone call the black dude from Alien. We definitely need some flamethrowers rigged up here.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:14 PM
They offered to do my 02 sensor for free, I just had to pay for the part.

Quote:

did you search before buying? if you did your exhaust and it's too loud it's because you didn't search and bought parts like a noob.

I beg to differ on that one. I found most people went with the Pacesetter header, and 94035 cat. So because I went with something that I took the time to learn about, you're insulting me? I did some research, (yes, I used the search button) and found a glasspack would help. So, I have one. I don't understand why you're saying that I bought parts like a noob. Please explain.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:22 PM
Pacesetter 4-1 Header
Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat
18" Glasspack
Dual Magnaflow Cat-back

That's your exhaust. You didn't search much because you would have found that a twin exit on our 4cyl don't do anything and will mostllikely hurt. 18" glasspack- Once again you didn't search well because it IS written in alot of post to use the LONGEST resonator you can find. Magnaflow High flow cat - Unless you can PROVE with a DYNO SHEET that it helps, it's just a noise maker.

Also, what size is the exhaust? 2.5? 2.25?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search