pacesetter exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pacesetter exhaust
Monday, March 27, 2006 7:39 AM
the pacesetter monza exhaust that gravana has for 199.99 any feed back on it would be appreciated

I AM the man from Nantucket

Re: pacesetter exhaust
Monday, March 27, 2006 7:48 AM
dude if you buy that exhaust, im going to kill myself for you.
Monday, March 27, 2006 8:17 AM
y

Monday, March 27, 2006 8:22 AM
The Monza/pacesetter cat-back is know for rusting out. well so i hear, i dont know anyone with it. but rumor is if you live somewhere with salt, then say good bye to it. You should invest another $200 and get a high-quality system.

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:28 AM
nasty04cav wrote:The Monza/pacesetter cat-back is know for rusting out. well so i hear, i dont know anyone with it. but rumor is if you live somewhere with salt, then say good bye to it. You should invest another $200 and get a high-quality system.
I have it. The rust thing is not so much a rumor... but fact. And I can only imagine what you happen with salt en the equation, because mine's rotting a little more very second and it wasn't even introduced to salt since I owned it.

Search around here, there are many many more threads just like this one where this question has been dealt with. Hopefully (or hopefully not, depending how you look at it...) you'll have the pleasure of coming across one of my glorious rants about how much trouble the Pacesetter cat-back has caused me.

I'd reccommend a custom cat-back with components of your choice over any pre-fabbed cat-back out there, but if you absolutely must have a pre-fab, your best bet is anything BUT Pacesetter. Not kidding. Magnaflow Single/Dual, Vibrant, Thermal, RKSport Single/Dual, DC Sports, Megan Racing... take your pick... but leave the Pacesetter cat-back in the dust.

Monday, March 27, 2006 12:24 PM
or just spend that $200 and get a custom one made

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, March 27, 2006 2:32 PM
I chose the pacesetter for the price and for the mandrel bends. I couldn't find a shop that would do it locally. I plan on changing the muffler but it really isn't that bad. I've had it on all winter here in IL where they salt the roads. I just crawled under 5 mins ago and absolutely no signs of rust yet.
Monday, March 27, 2006 3:30 PM
Dustin McCall wrote:I chose the pacesetter for the price and for the mandrel bends. I couldn't find a shop that would do it locally. I plan on changing the muffler but it really isn't that bad. I've had it on all winter here in IL where they salt the roads. I just crawled under 5 mins ago and absolutely no signs of rust yet.

We have a group purchase on these (check out the forum), and have them in stock. Much less than 200 shipped also!
www.TurboTechRacing.com

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Monday, March 27, 2006 4:08 PM
The thing with mandrel bends it not the greatest thing. Im getting a custom magnaflow system for like 300 bucks. the guy at the exhaust shop said with his system that is not mandrel bent he said i will lose if much but maybe 4% of the flow. I had a guy at Pro Street Performance in Colorado tell me that the pacesetter header rust out and that it doesnt just bolt right up you have to modi it to fit. He also told me that Pacesette dont give you much hp gain.........
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:38 AM
I agree with Darren... mandrel bends are overrated... compression (not crush) bends are ALMOST as efficient and cost a lot less... on the other hand, about the headers... Pacesetter makes excellent headers. The mild-steel ones do rust but that is to be expected with non-coated steel, eh? If you go with the ceramic-coated version, you're good to go.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:41 AM
DUSTIN....dit it bolt right up or did u have to modify things for it to fit and be secure

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:28 AM
Tim wrote:I agree with Darren... mandrel bends are overrated... compression (not crush) bends are ALMOST as efficient and cost a lot less... on the other hand, about the headers... Pacesetter makes excellent headers. The mild-steel ones do rust but that is to be expected with non-coated steel, eh? If you go with the ceramic-coated version, you're good to go.

They aren't overated really...I mean...they are what they are supposed to be. At each bend it will be a true bend with the same diameter at the bend. It's especially great to have when you're running boosted applications when exhaust flow is very important. It's just a gaurantee perfect bend, that's all.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:40 AM
agreed, but you pay $400-$600 for a pre-fab mandrel bend system or $200-$250 for a compression bend system (including muffler) that flows almost as good... I wish I could find a good dyno comparison between the two but I can't...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:58 AM
Tim wrote:agreed, but you pay $400-$600 for a pre-fab mandrel bend system or $200-$250 for a compression bend system (including muffler) that flows almost as good... I wish I could find a good dyno comparison between the two but I can't...

The reason they usually charge so much is because the process to make the bends is sometimes longer and also they have to use a special machine to make the bends (I believe I heard the machine is a pretty penny).

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 2:20 PM
JBod2304-
It bolted up just fine. The instructions it comes with are simple. I fit it with the u-bolts it came with, then welded it up.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:01 PM
oh I understand WHY the mandrel bent systems are so expensive... a mandrel bender is extremely expensive... my point is that the performance gained over compression bends is not worth the extra cost...

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:17 AM
Tim wrote:oh I understand WHY the mandrel bent systems are so expensive... a mandrel bender is extremely expensive... my point is that the performance gained over compression bends is not worth the extra cost...

if you're gonna break it down to performance gained vs. cost, why do anything to a J?

I had the PS exhaust last year and I had absolutely 0 issues with it, except durability. when the guy parked his grand am in my trunk the exhaust was not strong enough to hold the ass end of the car up and the rear was forced downward at a 45 degree angle.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:30 AM
u have to weld it or can u just muffler clamp the thing together

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:34 AM
also how does it sound in comparison to a fart can muffler

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:40 AM
JBod2304 wrote:also how does it sound in comparison to a fart can muffler

I'm sorry but that's just a very generic question that no one can really answer...

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:21 AM
ToBoGgAn wrote:
Tim wrote:oh I understand WHY the mandrel bent systems are so expensive... a mandrel bender is extremely expensive... my point is that the performance gained over compression bends is not worth the extra cost...

if you're gonna break it down to performance gained vs. cost, why do anything to a J?

I had the PS exhaust last year and I had absolutely 0 issues with it, except durability. when the guy parked his grand am in my trunk the exhaust was not strong enough to hold the ass end of the car up and the rear was forced downward at a 45 degree angle.

not trying to start a flame-fest, but that's a pretty ignorant thing to say... you're saying basically that if you're stupid enough to drop money on a J anyway, who cares what the performance/dollar ratio is?

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:25 AM
Tim wrote:
ToBoGgAn wrote:

not trying to start a flame-fest, but that's a pretty ignorant thing to say... you're saying basically that if you're stupid enough to drop money on a J anyway, who cares what the performance/dollar ratio is?

No, I think you're thinking in the wrong way...

He's saying if money is going to be your means of what performance products you get, why modify at all? If you're going to get a cat-back, you shouldn't get a cat-back because it's cheaper or the to get it bent is cheaper than what is best to get.

That's what he's trying to say.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:30 AM
I feel "BENT outa shape" just reading through all this stuff!
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:45 AM
Unless some sort of boost no need for mandrel bent even then. No one has every Dynoed, but if there is any difference it can't be more than 1-2HP difference.

I will say this to compensate fro a crush bent i say go 2.5" custom catback. If mandrel then 2.25". My system is great the shop did great work on the bends.

If i remember correctly there is compression bent and crush bent for custom you want to ge a compression bent done.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:15 AM
ok so to clear up my generic question......im talking stock sized pipes and a universal canister style looking muffler on the end of it.......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search