The BLACK BOX! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The BLACK BOX!
Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:52 PM
What is the black box under the hood that the wiring harness hooks up to? It's the part that connects the wires threw the firewall into the bay. Reason I ask, Im swapping a 03 eco motor into a 97 Z-24, and the eco's harness has 6 less pins than the harness on the z-24's harness. I think it's cause the eco came out of a standard cav(i.e.: no power windows, locks, sunroof) < which the car getting the transplant has. The 00-up harness we installed has only 1 missing pin,there wasn't a sunroof on that car.
Anyways, my thinking is that the box is a power distribution box for all the stuff going into the car, and thats why the harness has the missing pins. Am I correct? Any help is appreciated!

Failure is not failure if you learn from it

Re: The BLACK BOX!
Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:57 PM
Are you talking about the water-proof junction box? If so, then you will have pins that don't go anywhere on one side. Also, as you suggested, things like sunroofs may have fuses or relays in the underhood fuse box that others won't. I know some 03+ ecos don't have ABS, which would eliminate a half-dozen wires through the firewall.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:06 PM
I think it's the junction box, sounds right. It's grey on 1 side black on the other, and has a 7mm(?) bolt holding it together, sound right? If so, would I be able to hook it up w/o the pins and have the car run? Im sure the side that has all the same pins(from all 3 different boxes) are the pins that run the standard wires that all the motors need, correct?
Reason im in a hurry to get this done is the car is in a garage of a house that is sold and has 4 days left to get it out of the garage!!!!!!! The extra pins can be added later!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:11 PM
Tell me what the colors/placements of the extra pins are and I'll tell you what they do

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:18 PM
Im not at that house right now But the plugs going were the pins should be are green It's missing the pins near the middle of the connector on one side, a whole row of four pins, plus one on either side of the row missing directly across from each other> God I hope thar makes since! I wish I had it with me!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:38 PM
Well, if the four in the row are LT BLU, YEL, TAN, & DK GRN, then they are the wheel speed sensors for the ABS module. They make up an entire row, 1 row from the center bolt. I'm not sure which ones the other two may be...

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:42 PM
Right, that could mean the 03 harness didn't have ABS, which wasn't standard! Thank you OHVnotec, you da man! That does make since, and it was a thought I had, but I wonder what the other 2 are. You think that one could be a pwer source for PW, the other or PL? I think were getting somewhere

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:53 PM
I'd have to know where they are located...the factory manual only lists wires like those as "FUSE OUTPUT", and unfortuantely they have already been edited from my harness, so I can't follow them...I know there are wires for A/C running through that box as well, blower motor/fan control, a couple more for the ABS module, and two for cruise control, all possible options.

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:16 PM
Yeah, I'll tell you what... I'll take a look at it tomorrow( i'll be over there, TRUST ME!), and let you know EXACTLY what pin number they are, and I pray to god we can get this MOFO done in time! I'll post sometime tomorrow night after work, around 10:00 PM CST! Thans notec, you da man!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:36 PM
goverment GPS tracking

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:35 AM
Jcavi wrote:goverment GPS tracking
lol, this isn't 2F2F

fortune cookie say:

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:22 AM
02turbo wrote:What is the black box under the hood that the wiring harness hooks up to? It's the part that connects the wires threw the firewall into the bay. Reason I ask, Im swapping a 03 eco motor into a 97 Z-24, and the eco's harness has 6 less pins than the harness on the z-24's harness. I think it's cause the eco came out of a standard cav(i.e.: no power windows, locks, sunroof) < which the car getting the transplant has. The 00-up harness we installed has only 1 missing pin,there wasn't a sunroof on that car.
Anyways, my thinking is that the box is a power distribution box for all the stuff going into the car, and thats why the harness has the missing pins. Am I correct? Any help is appreciated!

It is called a junction box. For the swap you are doing you CAN NOT just hook the Ecotec engine bay wiring into this box and go. You have to swap everythying over from the ecotec. Because you car is a pre 2000 and if you have power everything, then you will lose all that, if the Ecotec car is not power everything. You need the inside wiring from the ecotec. You also need the fuel tank, lines etc.....

FU Tuning

Friday, March 24, 2006 10:00 AM
John, I know all this, we have everything swapped...just need to know about the pins and such. Also, if there isn't a source for the PW and PL, what can we do to get them to work? Or are the PW/PL ran directly out of the BCM? IF so, the BCM we have came from a car with PL/PW, just no sunroof. The only things left to do on the car is install the wiring and the fuel tank, and radiator also.

Friday, March 24, 2006 11:07 AM
02turbo wrote:John, I know all this, we have everything swapped...just need to know about the pins and such. Also, if there isn't a source for the PW and PL, what can we do to get them to work? Or are the PW/PL ran directly out of the BCM? IF so, the BCM we have came from a car with PL/PW, just no sunroof. The only things left to do on the car is install the wiring and the fuel tank, and radiator also.

Ok let me ask a few questions because you have me a little confused.
Have you swapped the wiring on the inside of the car? Meaning the wiring in the dash, fuse box, and under the carpet etc..? If you did was there hook ups for the power windows, and locks? If you did swap the inside wiring from a 2000+ car with the hook ups for power stuff they should work. If you did not swap the inside wiring, and are only swapping the engine bay wiring, then your car is not going to run. When doing this swap on a pre 2000 car you need all the wiring from a 2000+ car (I mean ALL). At least this way it is about as close to a easy swap as you can get.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:44 PM
We swapped EVERY wire in the car, under dash, carpet, back to tank and BTM. We put in the 2000-up gas tank and BTM unit, and are waiting to get the radiator so we can do that. The harness that we got has all the power window/door lock wires except the sunroof.

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:03 PM
02turbo wrote:We swapped EVERY wire in the car, under dash, carpet, back to tank and BTM. We put in the 2000-up gas tank and BTM unit, and are waiting to get the radiator so we can do that. The harness that we got has all the power window/door lock wires except the sunroof.

You should be ok. The power stuff should work (except the sunroof). I'm sure you could get power to the Sunroof to make it work.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:08 PM
lol.... if the body harness matches the engine harness..... whats the question then? in the first post your saying the Eco engine bay harness doesnt match the 97 body harness...... but now your saying you have the Eco body harness in the car......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:09 PM
So the missing pins on the motor harness side that dont match up on the bcm side of the junction box, are they the wheel speed sensors for the ABS like Notec said?

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:30 PM
02turbo wrote:So the missing pins on the motor harness side that dont match up on the bcm side of the junction box, are they the wheel speed sensors for the ABS like Notec said?

I can't answer that for 100% Without looking in a manual at the pin outs you really would not know.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 24, 2006 5:57 PM
Many of the options you guys are talking about (power windows, locks, etc) are in the body harness only... and don't extend to the engine bay.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:50 AM
thats what I was thinking...... the only wires would be the ABS, EVAP (its under the hood on the 2k+), Fog lights, and BCM.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search