anybody elses magnaflow cat sound raspy as hell? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
anybody elses magnaflow cat sound raspy as hell?
Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:32 PM
Alright, so here's the setup. 2.25 piping, pacesetter header, magnaflow cat 94035, 30" thrush resonator, dynomax super turbo muffler.

if i stick my head under the car, anywhere in my setup it sounds fine, not too loud. but, there is a specific HELL OF A RASPYNESS coming from the magnaflow cat. if i get on the gas hard, you hear it sound like a fartcan, but only from the walls of the cat. does anyone else have this problem?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Re: anybody elses magnaflow cat sound raspy as hel
Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:58 PM
Ok so its not just me either, I can hear the same thing with my setup. I have 2.25 piping, pacesetter header, magnaflow cat 94035, 25" thrush resonator, and a magnaflow street series muffler. It's pretty quiet too but I can still hear that raspyness when I open up the throttle. At first I thought it was coming from my engine and that maybe there was an exhaust leak somewhere but then I realized that it was coming from under the car. I can hear it pretty good when there is a car or wall next to me. I'm positive its not the muffler because the sound is coming from underneath the car.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:47 PM
my magnaflow cat back from RKSport was the same way......it got a little better when it got hot but crappy when cold...

Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:32 PM
I don't think the problem is with the cat back, its with the magnaflow catalytic converter making a raspy noise.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:22 PM
if they are stainless, thats usually what makes that noise. Its a common property of stainless.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:47 PM
i get the same thing so i'm guessing it snormal, sorta sucks when you don't want raspiness but oh well i guess thats a trade off you make for a bit more performance.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:40 PM
my rk magnaflow muffler has always been raspy , it got louder after i did the header and high flow cat , i have the 91035 cat i think

i only hear the rasp out the back of the car

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:48 AM
IT'S THE PACESETTER header that is making it raspy.. I had a full RKsport catback including the magnaflow cat before I put my Pacesetter header on.. Without the header, I could mash on the gas with no raspyness at all.. As soon as the header went on, I drove the car and mashed the gas and here comes the raspyness. That is my proof right there that the header caused it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:33 AM
I had the same setup, yet my car was less raspy than most other J's Ive heard with modded exhaust. I was having the same issues when I let off the throttle you would here raspiness. I replaced the 25" Dynomax w/ a 30 inch Magnaflow resonator that I bought new off classifieds for 30 bucks. Problem Solved!

15.149 @ 91.26mph 3-18-2006
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:36 AM
^^ Yeah I think im going to get a resonator this time around with my engine swap. See if that helps me out with te raspyness.

306 TQ
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:54 AM
i have almost the same system but magnaflow cat 94035, pacesetter hesader, but the only different is that i have 2.5" piping and a fartcan. and also i have TWO resonator of about 15" each. and i dont have no raspyness at all and is not LOUD. i still want to change it to be a little quite (almost stock)

Friday, March 24, 2006 6:35 AM
the problem is not the sound of the exhaust coming OUT of the muffler, its actual raspy noise seeming to come THROUGH the walls of the magnaflow cat.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, March 24, 2006 6:42 AM
Viper98912 wrote:the problem is not the sound of the exhaust coming OUT of the muffler, its actual raspy noise seeming to come THROUGH the walls of the magnaflow cat.

Oh, damn lol.. Really? Nothing should be coming through the walls of the cat.. Hmm thats weird.

306 TQ
Friday, March 24, 2006 6:46 AM
yeah thats weird, because i dont hear nothing coming out of the cat converter

unless how people says break through?
By the way what means break through???????
Im kind of newbie

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:10 AM
I have the same problem with my cat that Viper is having. The sound isn't coming from the muffler, it's coming from the cat. Not sure what the problem is.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Friday, March 24, 2006 10:05 AM
Had the same problem with 2 of magnaflow's cats, 1 was a 2.25" when i was N/A, and the other 2.5" when I went boosted, however, it doesn't do it anymore since I added a resonator behind it!

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Friday, March 24, 2006 10:10 AM
Yeah I have the same problem also, I have the same setup too and it is raspy as all hell until it shifts into a higher gear (automatic tranny) then it stops. I didnt mind it when all I had was the magnaflow cat-back since it went away once it warmed up but with my new setup its like it all the time.

Friday, March 24, 2006 11:01 AM
ah mine goes away once it warms up pretty much so i'm not worried about it all that much.

Friday, March 24, 2006 11:46 AM
I am not 100% what the brand is but i got my high flow of Ebay 2.5" and i really don't have that issue. May be it is magnaflow. I personally have never been a magnaflow person myself.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:21 PM
I also noticed that my magnaflow cat makes a weird pinging noise when driving. Not sure what the noise is but hopefully it and the raspyness will go away with more driving.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:28 PM
i noticed that aswell. it sounds very tin can-like-ish but my exhaust is soo loud that i cant hear it so i dont mind. I only can hear it if i open my door and bend down to hear it.

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:32 PM
I have the high flow cat, and the muffler (both which are made by magnaflow). I have a 2.25" exhaust that my boss got from jegs. It sounds raspy ... but I like it that way. Especially in the morning time, it sounds ANGRY

dan

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:34 PM
I have the pacesetter 4-1, 2.25" cat-back and an N1-style... sounds really good w/ no raspy-sounds after it gets warm... I just got my magnaflow 94035 in today... we'll see how it sounds afterwards... I'll let you all know...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search