performance - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
performance
Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:03 PM
well i got my engine back in whe i took it out there was some oil in the spark plugs.. my question is what type of oil should i use for my engine 2.4l 140,000 for best performance ? and should i use any kind of oil treatment ? like lucas or soemthing thanks ...

Re: performance
Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:06 PM
Uhh, what the heck are you trying to say?

If you have oil on your plugs... you either have bad valve cover seals or bad valve stem seals/guides.

You can try a heavier weight oil, or an additive like lucas, but that really won't help that much.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:11 PM
the spark plug the end were it makes the spark facing the piston ? how much heavier ? ive seen up to 45w 90 ... and cavys use 5w 30
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:45 PM
Um, 5w30... And what are you talking about, Oil on the plugs? BTW, DO NOT run full synthetic for AT LEAST 10,000 miles.

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:49 PM
Oh yeah, change the oil after 500 miles or so, then 1000, then the regular 2500-3000 mile change. Reason is, it help get the metal shaving out so they don't eat up the oil pump,etc. The reason for not running synthetic is something about the properties of the new surfaces can get worn easier...not to sure, I've just been warned not to use it for at least the first 10 grand on the motor.

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:21 AM
^^ I've never heard anything like that. I thought that was just a myth.

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:50 AM
02turbo wrote:Um, 5w30... And what are you talking about, Oil on the plugs? BTW, DO NOT run full synthetic for AT LEAST 10,000 miles.

Yeah, about the synthetic thing ^^^ that's on a brand new motor. That is because you have to break the engine in. Synthetic is too slick for a brand new engine. You gotta use regular oil so the components of your engine will wear and seat properly. Yes I said wear!! The initial wear of an engine is crucial!

BTW Turbo! I know you meant well but Hernandez said his engine has 140,000 miles on it. I WOULD DEFINITELY RECCOMEND synthetic oil!!!

Friday, March 24, 2006 5:33 AM
Todd Nixon wrote:Hernandez said his engine has 140,000 miles on it. I WOULD DEFINITELY RECCOMEND synthetic oil!!!
Not necessarily. Switching to synthetic on a high-milage engine that hasn't used it regularly will invite leaks everywhere you don't want them.
Just keep using 5-10w30, and have those valve stem seals, valve guides, and headgaskets replaced.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, March 24, 2006 8:06 AM
well, wait, is this guy's engine rebuilt, or does it have 140K? Why was it out of the car?

and whoa..... baaaaaaaaaaaad advice, Mr. Nixon If it DOES have 140K, NO SYNTHETIC.... not on an engine with that kind of age.... if there is ANY kind of sludge built up inside that engine, synthetic could possibly cause it to lift off of wherever it had accumulated and clog the drain holes in the head, passages in the block, or even plug up the oil filter..... resulting very quickly in a catastrophic failure. When i worked for dodge I had to pull 2 motors because of this exact problem... both times you pull out the brand new oil filter to find that the synthetic has washed a load of sludge from the bowels of the block and it has caked inside the filter, causing a loss of oil pressure.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, March 24, 2006 8:21 AM
Man, Ive never heard anything like this....I mean, Ive got 11,000 miles on my 2004 Cavailier ECOTEC, I changed to full synth. after 3,000. Ive since had no problems with wear, oil pressure, etc. with it.

Not until 10,000...Thats a litttle much...IMO!

<---<<<Check Out The Ride!
Friday, March 24, 2006 10:07 AM
I don't know how many times this topic has bee brought up but the whole issue of running synthetic before 10K is a MYTH... There are many cars, such as Saabs, that run synth right from factory now...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.

Friday, March 24, 2006 10:51 AM
Todd Nixon wrote:
02turbo wrote:Um, 5w30... And what are you talking about, Oil on the plugs? BTW, DO NOT run full synthetic for AT LEAST 10,000 miles.

Yeah, about the synthetic thing ^^^ that's on a brand new motor. That is because you have to break the engine in. Synthetic is too slick for a brand new engine. You gotta use regular oil so the components of your engine will wear and seat properly. Yes I said wear!! The initial wear of an engine is crucial!

BTW Turbo! I know you meant well but Hernandez said his engine has 140,000 miles on it. I WOULD DEFINITELY RECCOMEND synthetic oil!!!

My bad, I had a lil too much to drink last night! I didn't see that it had 140,000 on it, I just saw" I got my motor back in", Thinking it had been rebuilt, in which case, my response is a good idea! My head hurts!

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:13 PM
You can use synthetic oil any time on any motor, there are huge myths flying around about leaking seals and such but they are just fables from some ignorant people.

Breaking in an engine with syth oil: Click for info

More myths about synth oil: Click for more info

Yet another "Myth Buster" resource: Click for...Just click and read!

Blah blah blah: Click or don't click "I don't care anymore!"

Yet another... : Spank me... I mean click me

There are a few thousand other resources for this also, PM if you want an arseload more.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search