MSD coil adapters - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD coil adapters
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:02 PM
Are these required for installation of the MSD DIS-2 ignition?

I just bought a DIS-2 for my 2001 2200. I already have the blaster coils installed.

Re: MSD coil adapters
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:27 PM
If you have a pre 1997 2.2 OHV yes. If it is a 1998-02 no, we also have them in stock @ www.TurboTechRacing.com

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:33 PM
I bought my MSD Blaster coils from you. thanks! I ended up ordering them from JEGS... but you are saying I don't need them for the 2001 2.2?
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:13 PM
Sorry for the thread jack but will the MSD Blaster Coils fit my 97 2.4 with the adapters? I know the 2.4 don't have wires. Thanks.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!"
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:06 PM
D-LuxZ24 wrote:Sorry for the thread jack but will the MSD Blaster Coils fit my 97 2.4 with the adapters? I know the 2.4 don't have wires. Thanks.

No they will not be a direct fit like the 2.2. You would need to add spark plug wires and relocate the coils, and re wire.

And yes you will not need the adapters for the 1998-02 2.2L OHV

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:17 PM
umm i have them and I'm running just fine on my 02 2.2 ohv

Aaron

how are people wiring in the DIS if not with the adapters?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:53 PM
Oh, if you are using a Dis 2 system you will need them. I was thinking just replacing the stock coils with the MSD

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:22 PM
yeah I thought so. I have everything I need now...just waiting on the DIS-2 to come
Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:13 PM
i have them on my car and it runs fine and yes u need them
Friday, March 24, 2006 9:32 PM
I got one of em. .. lol I though JEGS sold these in pairs. : ) I have to order another one...doh!
Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:03 AM
I have pre-98 2.2 coils and ICM on my W41..... with the MSD DIS-II HO unit..... I want some MSD coils for it....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:13 AM
Casey > wrote:I got one of em. .. lol I though JEGS sold these in pairs. : ) I have to order another one...doh!

We only sell them in pairs, so this problem doesnt happen

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:53 PM
ok I am soo confused now...it says on your site For the 1996-1997 2.2 only.

I have a 2001 2.2 OHV, but I still need them to run the DIS-2 right?
Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:34 PM
yes you can use them they moved the coils to the right side of the engine instead of the lower backside in the later years.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:14 PM
ok...i ordered one more from JEGS....but now I wish I just would have ordered the pair from Turbo Tech Racing...
Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:50 PM
Casey > wrote:ok I am soo confused now...it says on your site For the 1996-1997 2.2 only.

I have a 2001 2.2 OHV, but I still need them to run the DIS-2 right?

Yes the adapters are needed for every 2.2L 1995-97 to use the MSD coils. Also they are needed if you want to put in a Dis 2 box in the 1998-2002 2.2 OHV.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:11 PM
we are on the same page now! I am about to order the MSD 8.5 mm super conductor wires.
Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:51 PM
Wires for the 2.2 from MSD? I was not aware they made these? Can you show us a link?

We carry the MSD wires for the ecotec, when you convert to a distributor...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:39 AM
Aaron,
I think he means that replacement plug wires from MSD they are 8.5 mm the basic wiring for doing it the OHV 2.2 is the MSD to the adapter boxes the coils are on top. then the wires to the plugs. Event did a small write up and there is a diagram in the post as well. watch your wire colors. theres also a basic dip switch setting if you have the one with switches. I do not have the one with the dials so I can't say if they will be related in any way to those settings.

event 1

event 2

Sunday, March 26, 2006 7:56 AM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400122

summit racing has them. but they are out of stock right now. In the instruction manual for the DIS-2 it says:

Spark plug wires are very important to the operation of your ignition system. A good quality, helically wound wire and proper routing are required to get the best performance from your ignition, such as the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire. Helically wound wires provide a good path for the spark to follow while keeping Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) to a minimum. Excessive EMI, such as the amount that solid core wires produce, will interfere with the operation of the DIS-2. Solid Core spark plug wires cannot be used.

My next question is: Are the Accell Thundersport 300 spark plug wires wires solid core? This is what I have on now, and I was wondering if I could install the DIS-2 without helically wound wires?
Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:33 AM
they are a spiral core wire, thats the main thing , you should be fine

Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:19 AM
ok...cool. I ordered the MSD wires today. They won't ship until 4/8 but the price was great! I was planning on replacing my SP wires anyway. I can't wait until all of the components I need are here so I can get to work installing everything.

I also got a volt guage from AplusPerformance

and a Autometer dual guage pod from PT-tuning

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:11 PM
I now have everything I need for the full MSD install except the SP wires

The RK Sport kit gets painted on Monday, got my new OEM bumper and rims on today.

I got my daul gauge pod. I am still waiting on an Autometer air / fuel ratio, MSD superconductor 8.5 mm wires.

next I am considering

-- a RK Sport Extractor hood
-- Aplusperformance racing seats
-- Fiberglass shaved trunk lid
Thursday, March 30, 2006 5:04 PM
what dosue the msd really do for a na car douse it give hp gains our what? I am just wondering due to my coil pack going out any way is it worth the 400 to get the dis2 msd

http://www.geocities.com/WIJTuners/?200511

wi jbody site

http://www.cwctekcom.com/ go here for some awsome deals on installs and awsome stereo stuff in new lisbon, WI
Friday, April 14, 2006 9:19 AM
I think it is well worth it. I would recommend the DIS-2 to anyone (NA or otherwise) and if later you decide to use nitrous...it is that much easier to set the step retard and or timing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search