Intake popping - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intake popping
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:52 PM
well Today driving off of the Gas station my car started spudering and just stoped .. i turned it back on and it was looping like it was about to turn off i accelerated and it pops in the intake manifold and i get smoke out of the intake..... what could if be ? u pulled the oil pan and its clean no metal pieces.... its a 2.4l with CAI,Full Exhuast, Recently intalled pullie... anything i should look for to know whats wrong with it ?

Re: Intake popping
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:41 PM
My GOD!, I hope you did not fill it up with Diesel Fuel!

But Seriosly, sounds like a case of bad gas at the pump(A) or maybe even your timing is off, like way off,(B) lastly, (C) you just lost your timing chain.

<---<<<Check Out The Ride!
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:56 PM
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7920572375.jpg&s=x11 check it out does that look right ? the timing...
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:36 PM
Danny one wrote:http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7920572375.jpg&s=x11 check it out does that look right ? the timing...

no offense but thats a pretty dumb thing to post. If the guy is asking this question he's probably not really sure what he's looking at in that picture, nor would he know how to tell if its properly timed, or what to remove to look at the timing chain.

Did it do it again, or only the one time?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:42 PM
Thats why im asking for help ........
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:13 AM
Any one else ? got any suggestions ? .. could it be a effect of diesel like Silver suggested ? Two of the spark plugs were covered with oil......or gas not sure.... but i think its oil... they are just black ... and well my pullie bolt was loose ..... so i dont really know what to think....
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:58 PM
Could be a valve not seating correctly(exhaust valve open at time of detonation), could be bad fuel, fouled plugs, timing jumped...

So, you ripped the engine out of the car after it started popping?
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:42 PM
Danny one wrote:Thats why im asking for help ........

sorry dude, I didn't read your username and thought someone else had posted that, my bad
Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:19 PM
thats a good question my car does that sometimes but stops although it doesn't smoke I think its my valves stickin cuz we replaced the timing chain bout a year ago I just put some lucas fuel cleaner in and it seems to be fine
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:28 PM
What year 2.4l? If it's a pre 98, it's got an EGR. I know this sounds funny, but I've had carbon build up in my EGR and cause it to pop, clog, smoke,... u name it does it. It's cause the EGR gets stuck open and lets exhaust gas flow into the intake at idle, causing it to drown in carbon. Sounds crazy, but it happened to me! Take the EGR off(easy chore) and clean it with carb cleaner and make sure the pin is opening properly before reinstall. It might not be the problem, but it's a good idea, just in case
Check your plug also, they're a good way to tell if somethings wrong!

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search