underdrive pulley? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
underdrive pulley?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:11 PM
How would i go about putting an underdrive pulley on my car? I have a 95' 4 door 2.2L

Re: underdrive pulley?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:34 PM
if its anytihng like my eco what i did was take off my passenger side wheel...remove all splash gaurds. next i lodged a screw driver in so when i turn the crank bolt the pulley would not turn. once u break the crankbolt free u take it out slide off old pulley then slide on new pulley then tighten up crank bolt till the point where the crank bolt turns the engine over..then lodge a screw driver or soemthing back in the pulley and take a torque wrench and torque the blot to spec. slap the splash gaurds back on put wheel back on and ur done.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:35 PM
o yea dont forget to put the new (shorter) belt on

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:11 PM
i did one on my 2.4L. since i was doing it for the 1st time and needed to buy a and borrow a few tools it was a pain in the ass. really small hp gain too. but for the price i got it for it was worth it. and you will need a shroter belt. look on ebay. get the cheapest. thje bomz is the same as the one that goes for 24.99. theres a write up in the library.

just make sure. you have a ratchet and socket big enough to fit the bolt. and a braker bar to crack the nut. and make sure your ratchet is good or else itll just slip. maybe a buddy to help you out. youll also need to go rent a pulley puller. and canadian tire i bought one for 20 bucks and returned it. to rent it was like 160 but u can return it within 3 days and get your money back. on the 2.4l you also need a really long wrench to reach the tensioner. also, when idling every light in your car will dim and so will your blower fan will slow down. unless you have stick, they idle higher. hope that helps

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:47 PM
who sells underdrive pulleys for the 2.2's????can't seem to find one...and can i see a gain?

<html>http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/brianb/thumbnail_personal_pic.jpg</html>
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:52 AM
RSM makes under drives for the 2.2, i was looking at getting one
pulley
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:10 PM
www.rksport.com has one too.

http://www.helpelijah.com
Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:04 PM
yea this is a rk sport i am gettin

Friday, March 24, 2006 6:33 AM
for the 2.4L i can use the original belt if i get the AEM and Unorthodox pulleys right?

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:33 AM
Domingo Fung wrote:for the 2.4L i can use the original belt if i get the AEM and Unorthodox pulleys right?

I believe so but I never unstood the point of doing that...why get an underdrive pulley when you can just get a lighter stock sized one and not have to touch your alternator pulley? Maybe it's just me...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:34 AM
Domingo Fung wrote:for the 2.4L i can use the original belt if i get the AEM and Unorthodox pulleys right?

By the way, I believe how it works is that it's a underdrive crank pulley (smaller than stock) and an oversized alternator pulley (bigger than stock).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:48 AM
Yeah,
Stock belt.

Had the UD/Alt combo on myself couple months back.
Stock belt.

Right now I have factory lightened.

Honestly isn't feeling like it wants to rev as easy as the ud/alt pulley combo.
But I don't have the diming light issue I had.

I may try straight ud next.
But not the ebay pulley, they're not light enough.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:40 PM
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:

I believe so but I never unstood the point of doing that...why get an underdrive pulley when you can just get a lighter stock sized one and not have to touch your alternator pulley? Maybe it's just me...

I agree.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Sunday, March 26, 2006 1:35 PM
where i can find lighter pulleys with the stock size? and it will be cheaper or expensier
i saw the one from the rsm but that expensive.

and if is like that i will just change the underdrive crank pulley.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:31 PM
Does the RKSport Underdrive pulley come with a harmonic dampener?

Tach Out Motorsports
Option D Inc.
Monday, March 27, 2006 6:50 AM
Domingo Fung wrote:where i can find lighter pulleys with the stock size? and it will be cheaper or expensier

Click here to read about lightwieght 2.4 pulleys
Tach Out Motorsports wrote:Does the RKSport Underdrive pulley come with a harmonic dampener?
Tach Out Motorsports
Option D Inc.

No aftermarket company that I know of, offers pulleys for our cars with a harmonic dampener.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, May 19, 2006 12:18 PM
Does anyone know the belt size for a 1995 cavalier, with out A/C, i bought an under drive from X3 racing and i have no idea what size i need

Fast and Nasty Like a two dollar whore!!!
Friday, May 19, 2006 1:16 PM
-MD- LD9 wrote:
Domingo Fung wrote:where i can find lighter pulleys with the stock size? and it will be cheaper or expensier

Click here to read about lightwieght 2.4 pulleys

Don't buy from RSM. They're thieves. Click the link above. Rumour has it that they're coming with a free lap dance...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search