Fuel pump wiring - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel pump wiring
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:15 PM
Has anyone used the stock wiring from the ignition to wire up a inline pump?

I am going to do this today, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for me?

This is on my 03 Cav, I'm not sure where I am going to place the pump yet or where I can tap into the stock wiring, if anyone has a diagram of where the wires are ran it would be helpful.

I was thinking of coming right off the fuse block, wiring to a toggle switch (anti-theft), and then running right to the inline pump.

Also, in the near future I may put in a high output alternator, electric power steering pump, electric waterpump, and a underdrive pulley.

Please throw me some ideas on any of these tasks.

Thanks

Re: Fuel pump wiring
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:40 PM
If your car is a daily driver, the electric waterpump is a horrible idea.

If you are tring to Electric everything to make more HP, its not gonna happen, you will reduce a little bit of drag but not enough to offset the cost of doing so.

As for the fuel pump, if your new one flows better then your stocker, your gonna have a problem too. Your gonna get dry spots. Your stock pump can only pump so much so if you try a "helper" pump farther down line, your gonna either creat too much suction and kill your stock one, or have sporatic times of fuel/no fuel as your stocker tries to keep up.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:55 PM
I am going with a electric waterpump that flows better then any belt driven pump in existance, I used an electric waterpump on my 383 stroker in my 79 Malibu, and it kept the car almost 10 degrees cooler at all times.
waterpump video

The stock power steering pump is krap on my car, so why not replace it with something that works better and will also free up some engine drag?

The in-tank fuel pump will be removed completely, so the dry spots you are talking about will be nonexistant, I have builkt enough cars in the past to know what I'm doing, I was just asking if anyone had any tips to help with the projects.

Thanks for the input Dave.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:59 PM
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:As for the fuel pump, if your new one flows better then your stocker, your gonna have a problem too. Your gonna get dry spots. Your stock pump can only pump so much so if you try a "helper" pump farther down line, your gonna either creat too much suction and kill your stock one, or have sporatic times of fuel/no fuel as your stocker tries to keep up.

This is not true. My HRC kit came with a inline "booster" pump as do all HRC kits for the Eco. It is a great addition to the factory pump. I have never had any issues of fuel cut. Oh and the stock one is running just fine still.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:04 PM
Ryne did you wire the "booster" pump parallel to the existing intank or is it wired off the boost(so it kicks in at a certain amount of boost)?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:48 PM
For anyone interested the grey wire in the fuel tank wire cluster is the pump power.

I put in my toggle switch on the grey wire after the fuel pump relay, I also added an inline replaceable fuse.

The pump I bought was a MSD fuel pump part # MSD2225 handles up to 125 PSI, roller vane style, 43 GPH if running full.

A lighted rocker switch hidden under the dash, but softly lights gas and brake pedals when turned on at night.

I will be replacing the fuel pump regulator with an adjustable one in the next few days.

Maybe pics tomorrow,if anyone cares.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search