Swapping Pre 00 motor into Post 00 J? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping Pre 00 motor into Post 00 J?
Monday, March 20, 2006 12:51 PM
I am getting a FREE 2.4L out of a 97 z-24, just wondering how much work there is in swaping it into a 2002 body. I have swapped a 2002 motor into a pre 2000 before sucessfully(BCM,BTM,FUEL TANK,ETC.), just wondering if I can switch the engine harness and sensors to a 2000+ 2.4 harness. I have to switch it out anyways to the 2.4's, since I have a 2200.
So, basically, whats gunna need to be done?

Failure is not failure if you learn from it

Re: Swapping Pre 00 motor into Post 00 J?
Monday, March 20, 2006 1:19 PM
use all the outside parts from the motor , then heli coil the knock sensor hole to fit the 99-02 knock sensor bolt

and use the engine harness for the 00-02 2.4 and trans , and get a VIN # to reflash your pcm or get a 00-02 2.4 pcm

Monday, March 20, 2006 1:21 PM
Thats it, no other different sensors? What does heli-coil mean exactly? I figured I could just use the 2.4 harness? Sweet!

Monday, March 20, 2006 2:16 PM
well im going with your doing this to the 02 in your reg , with the 2.2 ohv

you will need the motor , the matching trans for the 00-02 , engine harness , and upper 2.4 mount

injectors for the 99-02 , and the 99-02 knock sensor , the heli-coil will be to make the hole smaller for the bolt for the knock sensor

you will need the 99-02 non egr gasket for the exhaust manifold , or the 99-02 2.4 header

all the other sensors on the 2.4 will work from older to newer , and newer to older , all the rest of the stuff in your car can stay the same

on the auto trans you might be able to use a older 1 but im not 100% sure on that

i think that is about it , the swap is very similar to the eco swap

Monday, March 20, 2006 4:08 PM
Well, actually im not going to put the motor in until im ready to rebuild. It will go in with my turbo kit(different mani,etc), z-24 5 speed trans(ditching the auto), and Megasquirt. This wont happen for awhile, im gunna run the boosted 2200 OHV that I have until I yank it to install the tranny and forge the motor. I figure if im taking out the motor, I might as well upgrade
Im shooting for low to mid 12's, maybe better...and thats alot easier to do with the 2.4 vs the 2200
One question, if the 97 ld9 im putting in ran low imp injectors, but my pcm is hi imp, i'll just run hi imp right? My reason is cause I have three sets of hi imp injectors(270cc,370cc, and 440cc), and dont want to fork out yet another couple hundred dollars on injectors.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:28 AM
you run what your computer whats you to run...... has nothing to do with the year of the engine.

.... and Eric coverd everything else pretty well.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:39 PM
keep in mind that depending on emissions laws in your area, it may be a illegal to swap to an earlier model engine... if you live in a severe non-attainment area, such as cali, or ohio, the northeast, etc... that you will not pass inspection. Most people don't care but its something you should know before you get to deep into it. The only "legal" motorswap is a newer engine than the car it goes into.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search