port matching the obx header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
port matching the obx header
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:27 PM
hey i was thinking of getting the OBX 4-1 long tube header and when i get it i would like to port match the head . i have heared that there is some kind of a problem with the header ports being to large and that when you try to port the head you will go into the water channel or somehting like that in the head . is this true ? thanks for the help

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG

Re: port matching the obx header
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:35 PM
hotfire, i don't think port matching the head to the header is a good idea. ive heard doing so could actually slowdown your exhaust flow and kill a good amount of your low end power. i'm pretty sure that only the intake manifold should be portmatched to the head, and the throttle body to the intake manifold.

if i were you i wouldn't try porting your head on your own unless you're exactly sure you know what you doing. you'd probably be better off having a local motor shop do it for you.
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:18 AM
ok i do understand that it would be hard to do but i wasnt really planning on doing the porting myself. i was planning on having a local performance shop do it since they have all of the proper toolage. wouldnt it make more since to to port match the head to the header so that there wasnt a lip between the header and head? i figure that lip/ridge would @!#$ up the exhaust flow if it wasnt taken out.

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 2:26 AM
From my understanding, most companies that make exhaust headers make them from a stock sized flange so the actual port opening size should be reflected on your header unless you had a port job on your cylinder head.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search