help with mods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with mods
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:02 AM
Im trying to get some more power out of my 2.2L 2200 sfi cavalier. What would be the best way to get some more power out of it without spending alot of money. I already have an k&n air intake, and im wanting to get/do something else.. but i dont know where to start.. i have about 300 bucks right now.. any suggestions??

any help would be appreciated.

Re: help with mods
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:54 AM
$300 aint much. so dont except much.
get a borla muffler (heard they sound good) and get a resonator (25 inches long at least), and have a local exhaust shop bend you some pipe. and there ya go a new exhaust system.
then whatever is left over, engine mounts or start saving for a header

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:13 AM
Your next step should be an exhaust system. For $300 you should be able to get a good exhaust system

A more economical route than what 99redz24 recommended, would be the Dynomax Ultra-Flo with a Dynomax (Thrush) Magnum Glasspack for a resonator and a high flow CAT.

This is what I ordered from Summit Racing:

CTO-6905-R UNIVERSAL CONVERTER $50.69

HLY-534-49 O2 SENSOR BUNG WELD-IN $5.99

PSM-70-1275 (part # will differ for the '98+ 2200)HEADER $159.69

SUM-621007 J-BEND 2 1/4" 3.375" - 6" 15" $13.95

SUM-622002 U-BEND 2 1/4" 4.5" - 12" 12" $13.95

WLK-17217 ULTRA FLO 2.25" OFFSET/CENTER $67.88

WLK-24211 GLASSPACK 2 1/4"IN/OUT 35"LONG $25.88

To keep the price under $300, you might have to wait on the header, but doing the rest of the exhaust, will help. You will also be ready to finish the system, just by installing the header at a later time, when you get the money saved up.

If you have access to a welder, you can build this yourself, if not just skip the U and J bends ant take it to a shop to get the pipes done. To fit the 35" Glasspack, I had to move the CAT forward about 8"and just welded the cat to the glasspack. This will take you right to where the first bend to go over the rear axle is.

I used hangers, clamps and a chrome turn down from the local parts store. You need to leave a couple of clamps in the system, just in case you need to remove the system. I recommend these (use the lap joint type). They wont crimp the pipe, making it possible to sseparatethe joint without cutting anything. Put one between the header B-pipe and the cat, one after the glasspack and one between the over axle pipe and the muffler. This leave the system capable of being remove by sections in case you need to do anything.

As for the cat and O2 sensor bung, you can get a cat with the bung installed or you can weld it in place, if you do it yourself.

As for the header, i got the painted header, striped the paint and painted it with the VHT paint and cured it following the directions on the can. No rust after over a year. I would still recommend the Armor Coated header though, especially if you live in a damp or snowy area.

After all the work is done, paint all the cut and welded areas and any pipe that is not aluminized with VHT High Temp Coating to reduce and rusting.

This system is only a little louder and alot deeper than the stock system at idle and cruising speeds, but lets a moderately loud and very deep growl under full throttle. The sound will differ from vehicle to vehicle, depending upon the mods done, but will generally be deep and quiet.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:42 PM
ronus20 had an aem cold air intake, header, custom exhaust, motor mounts, and auto trans interceptor on his 2000 cavalier with the 2200. he said he hardly noticed a difference.

don't expect a whole lot unless you wanna spend big money and go turbo...

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:03 PM
turbo is the way to go to get power................................

you know what your engine bay looks like ????????????

look at mine

start saving.....

or start your turbo build. $300 should get you a manifold and some piping, or get you a turbo.

get started if you want REAL power.

JUST DO THE RESEARCH. IT WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN BUYING PARTS.

or spend 300 on an exhaust for an annoying raspy sound and not much power at all.

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search