Tell me what you think. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tell me what you think.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:12 PM
I've been sitting around brainstorming about what way to go with this Cavalier. It's a '97, 2.2, 5spd. It's got a lot of miles but it still runs pretty strong and it seems like it was well taken care of. I'm giving thought to either building the original motor or swapping an LD9 or Eco. I know most would say do the swap, but I'm not sure I'm ready to try it and I have no idea what it would cost to do. I wanted to just list what I'm thinking about doing and see if anyone thought I'd be better off with a swap instead. I'll be honest, I have no idea what I can expect from this build:

rebuild motor - seals, rings, the typical rebuild, and then:
short ram intake
ported head
1.6 roller rockers
billet flywheel
header/cat/exhaust
billet crank pulley
urethane engine/tranny mounts
ported intake, TB

Maybe NO2 or boost, but haven't decided as of yet.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Re: Tell me what you think.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:31 PM
I could really go for a sandwich right now.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:33 PM
mmmm.... sandwich.

--------
these damn j-bodies are like a**holes... everybody has one!
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:35 PM
Okee,,, I could go for a sammich, too but I'm being serious. I didn't come back to the 'Org to have my balls busted. If I wanted that, I'd call up my ex and tell her I wanna nail her sister.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:19 PM
i think ur better off calling ur ex up and telling her u wanna nail her sister bc unless the right people read this ur not gonna get a decent response.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:31 PM
WITHOUT turbo or nitrous...you're looking at well over a grand worth of work to MAYBE break 150HP. i don't think its worth it.

a swap costs a lot and takes a lot of knowledge/time/effort. i don't think thats worth it either.

...my .02 cents.

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:04 AM
The Redneck wrote:WITHOUT turbo or nitrous...you're looking at well over a grand worth of work to MAYBE break 150HP. i don't think its worth it.

a swap costs a lot and takes a lot of knowledge/time/effort. i don't think thats worth it either.

...my .02 cents.

Your being generous with the 150 HP...

To make big power on an LN2, you need either N20 or Boost, you're not gonna make it all motor.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:06 AM
Robbie c wrote:I could really go for a sandwich right now.

JoeJoe wrote:mmmm.... sandwich.

If you guys have nothing useful to say than don't post anything. Immature comments like this aren't welcome.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:37 PM
Okay, I get your point, so let's entertain the engine swap theory. I have enough mechanical knowledge I think i can figure it out. If not, I have friends who can help. I went online and looked around, the going price for an Ecotec is right around a solid grand. And I have no idea if that's an entire motor, harnesses and ECU, or if it's just a long block. I couldn't even find an LD9 on eBay and most of the ones at other sites were just rebuilt long blocks. Again, no ECU or harness. That'd be fabulous if I had an LD9 to begin with. I'm guessing I'm better off getting a wrecked Cavalier from the junk yard? If I do the LD9, and I get one from a 97, can I simpoly swap the ECU, use the harness from the LN2 and modify it where need be since it's also a 97? I'd actually like to have the LD9 since there's so much out there for it and it's got potential. More than the stupid LN2, that's for sure.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:18 PM
Find a wrecked 03 and up car and take everything you can get ! The more parts you can get the better. If you can do it the swap is deff the way to go.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:27 PM
For the most part, it seems like it'd be pretty straight forward. I stopped at a dealership last night on the way home from work and looked at an Z24, and other than the motor itself it seemed like the majority of everything would be in the exact same place. Obviously the engine and tranny mounts would change, radiator hoses and stuff, but it all seems pretty simple to do.

Saturday, March 04, 2006 6:11 PM
ive been entertaining the thought of an engine swap lately too, 2.2 ohvs just dont cut it. an eco is the optimum choice, but they are expensive. so that leaves the 2.4 for worthwhile engines, but i dont think i have the abilities to swap it either.

eh, maybe ill just get a faster car to start with, like a crown vic police interceptor.

Check out my build thread!

Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:37 PM
Quote:

eh, maybe ill just get a faster car to start with

best thing i've ever heard in this forum...

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:31 AM
The Redneck wrote:
Quote:

eh, maybe ill just get a faster car to start with

best thing i've ever heard in this forum...

wait a minute.... that's the smartest thing i've heard anyone say about anything ever

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search