how tough are 2.4s - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how tough are 2.4s
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:42 PM
i was wondering how tough the 2.4 is. i have a 2.2 and that thing is bullet proof. u cant hurt it but i know alot of pple that have 2.4s and they dont seem as tough. i was woondering what u guys think of them because i was thinking about maybe swapping where they have more power. thanks

Re: how tough are 2.4s
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:44 PM
an engine will last as long as you take care of it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:59 PM
so I can just take care of my eco and turn the boost all the way up?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:46 PM
patrick conrad wrote:i was wondering how tough the 2.4 is. i have a 2.2 and that thing is bullet proof. u cant hurt it but i know alot of pple that have 2.4s and they dont seem as tough. i was woondering what u guys think of them because i was thinking about maybe swapping where they have more power. thanks
I haven't even come close to my 2.4's capacity for power. Then again, with my mods I'm lucky if I'm at 170-175HP @ shaft (20-25HP above stock). But nevertheless, it's held up just fine and been really good to me.

I can even remember 2 occasions when I first got the car, my father wanted to drive it, and he wound 3rd gear to 4500-5000RPM, missed the 4th gear gate, and dumped the clutch in 2nd gear @ 65-70Mph Naturally the car bogged like a motherf**ker and the tachometer shot up to 7000RPM or more before he pushed the clutch back in. The engine is still fine even after the goof-ball doing that twice in one day. God knows I beat the hell out of it, and the winter weather hasn't been too kind to it either. No major maintenance so far at 110,000+ miles other than like oil changes, plug changes, etc.

If you want bunches of power, it seems the 2.4's will be fine to a good extent, but not quite as bulletproof as the Eco. But I wouldn't concentrate on that too much, bucause it's just common sense that if you want big horsepower from any of the J-Body motors, you're gonna modify it accordingly to handle it (i.e. Con. Rods, Valve Springs, Forged Pistons, Forged Crankshaft, etc.)

If you wanna do a swap, the 2.4 will do nicely indeed, but I'd still point you to the Ecotec. A bit stronger it seems. I'll be selling my 2.4 for an 03+ Eco in the next couple of months so no more modding for me for a while . Eco's a f**king tank.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:53 PM
Jcavi wrote:so I can just take care of my eco and turn the boost all the way up?

if you want, go ahead.
what is it now 17 psi on a stock bottom end or something?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:58 PM
It depends. My LD9 survived 15 lbs of boost, stock bottom end.... but my bearings were chewing themselves up. My rods and pistons held but the bearings were eating up the crank journals like pac-man on a super-pill.

And yes the motor was taken care of, well oiled, and driven hard though quite a chunk of its life. It gave up the ghost at 114,000 KM or just over 65,000 miles.

And now she gets built better, stronger, faster.... and more durable.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:59 PM
PSI DOESNT MEAN POWER!!!!!

17 psi means nothing.

its up to around 325

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:06 PM
Actually... PSI means a few things.

First off - 15 psi inside an engine is hell. Especially when it's not built for it.

Second off... it's a huge turbo. Read my profile. I was making well over 300 whp.

All I'm saying is, the motor was taking a LOT of extra strain. No matter how you add it up it was under a LOT of stress, be it by power, pressure, etc...

The engine isn't a bad little monkey if you take care of it - they just have crappy bearings and a bad oiling situation....

Don't try to skule me, mofo.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:29 PM
Its tough enough where if you kick it it will be painful, but if you hit it with a sledge hammer it will break. Isnt that what you meant???

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:12 AM
SunfighterGT wrote:Actually... PSI means a few things.

First off - 15 psi inside an engine is hell. Especially when it's not built for it.

Second off... it's a huge turbo. Read my profile. I was making well over 300 whp.

All I'm saying is, the motor was taking a LOT of extra strain. No matter how you add it up it was under a LOT of stress, be it by power, pressure, etc...

The engine isn't a bad little monkey if you take care of it - they just have crappy bearings and a bad oiling situation....

Don't try to skule me, mofo.

-Chris-

one more reason why jbo needs an edit button (hurry up dave)

look one post above oyu

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search