Some Resonator questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Some Resonator questions
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:49 PM
Gettin ready to do the exhuast from the cat-back to get ready for the GM s/c but i don't really know much about resonators, if i should get one or what.

This is the setup im looking to do, 2005 eco
Pacesetter 4 into 1 header
magnaflow high flow cat
Flowmaster Hushpower 2 resonator
Flowmaster 40 series muffler
all with 2.5inch piping

my question is what is the difference between these 2?
This and this
one is priced a little more than the other, don't really know why

and 2nd, does either choice sound like it's gonna work with the setup? should i go with a different type/size of resonator?

thanks in advance

Re: Some Resonator questions
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:01 PM
One is made of Stainless Stee, which is often significantly weaker than Stainless Steel.

I really have no idea

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:03 PM
OH, it looks like the metals actually are different. Look up 304 Stainles Steel and 409 Stainless Steel on Google.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:07 PM
97cavy22 wrote:Gettin ready to do the exhuast from the cat-back to get ready for the GM s/c but i don't really know much about resonators, if i should get one or what.

This is the setup im looking to do, 2005 eco
Pacesetter 4 into 1 header
magnaflow high flow cat
Flowmaster Hushpower 2 resonator
Flowmaster 40 series muffler
all with 2.5inch piping

This and this
one is priced a little more than the other, don't really know why

and 2nd, does either choice sound like it's gonna work with the setup? should i go with a different type/size of resonator?

thanks in advance
You're DEFINITELY gonna want one. One is 304 Stainless and the other is 409 Stainless. That doesn't help much, it's pretty obvious. I don't know the difference between the 2 types. Sorry.

One thing that does concern me is, look at the pictures of the Hushpowers you linked to. Those cross-section pics seem to indicate that the ends are indeed 2.5", but on the inside it looks like they narrow to a much smaller diameter. Like, MUCHO smaller diameter.

I don't think I like the looks of those internals one bit... besides that's WAY too much to pay if you just want a resonator.

Put these part #'s in at SummitRacing.com:

*Magnaflow*
MPE-14416
MPE-10416
MPE-10436
MPE-12646
MPE-10426
MPE-14716
MPE-14616

*Dynomax*
WLK-17230
WLK-17263
WLK-24214

All of those can be used as a resonator/glasspack. There's plenty more to chose from, just make sure whatever you get has a 2.5" Core Diameter. Maybe you'll see something you like. Hope that helped!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:46 PM
Quote:

T304 stainless is a non-ferrous(iron free) material, meaning that it will absolutely never rust since it has no iron content in the metal. When exposed to salt water media, it may have light pitting, but no rust. It also has a higher chromium and nickel content, which makes it a much harder material than.....

T409 stainless, also known as "titanium enhanced stainless", which offers basically the same durability as aluminized steel, but with the fancy stainless name to it. It is a ferrous metal, which mean that it contains iron. Since it contains iron, it is slightly magnetic and when exposed to salt water media, it will eventaully rust and pit badly. It has a much lower chromium and nickel content that T304, which makes the material softer and therefore easier to bend, cut, etc...

Sorry for my long-windedness...

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys i appreciate it, i was thinking the difference was the type of metal they were made with but wasnt shure.

im probably going to go magnaflow or dynomax instead of the flowmaster resonator....LD9 i see you have a dynomax glasspack so i would assume that would be your recomendation, but im deffintly going to look into it more, those flowmaster deffintly seem a little pricey.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search