new motor @!#$ up!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new motor @!#$ up!!!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 11:51 AM
so i got my motor rebuilt (96 ld9) and i asked my dad to do me a favor and get me some oil to put in it so i could start it. well he went ahead and put the oil in and before the motor blew, i used mobile 1 synthetic. well that is what he got me and didnt tell me. well if you know anything bout breaking in a new motor, u should use real oil to set the piston rings and other seals. now it leaks oil from every piston ring because they havent set and i drove it about 57 miles so far. it smokes like a mother and leaks right out the exhaust. i am letting it drain for like 2 days and put straight 30 wieght in it to see if i can get the rings to set. does any one know if it will work or will i have to tear the s.o.b back apart to replace the rings? if anyone has any info, i am desperate to get ahold of it. thanks

Re: new motor @!#$ up!!!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 11:53 AM
was the motor honed/bored?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:00 PM
bored .20 over woth diamond racing pistons and total seal rings. i went the whole nine yards on this motor to do a turbo setup but i want to break the motor in first.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:04 PM
bored .20 over? You sure it wasn't .020 over? .2 inches is a lot dude

Some times the best way to get that tailgater off your but is to light a fart.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:07 PM
lol yea .020 over. my bad...im kinda tired from working on my car and truck
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:09 PM
no worries, I do that for a living. Spin wrenches, not being tired.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:12 PM
well then idk... hopefully it's nothing major...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:14 PM
sean minnis wrote:well if you know anything bout breaking in a new motor, u should use real oil to set the piston rings and other seals. now it leaks oil from every piston ring
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, if thats true, why do all high end cars come with mobile 1 sync from the factory?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:16 PM
it might work, I mean, if it doesn't, you have to tear the engine apart anyway, right?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:03 PM
'Fire Starter (Seth) wrote:it might work, I mean, if it doesn't, you have to tear the engine apart anyway, right?

thats the thing, i dont want to take it apart again!!!!

and i have never known anyone to break in a new motor using synthetic. my girl friends dad is a mechanic and builds race cars and i have worked with him for many years. so i am going on what he tells me so far. if anyone else knows anything that would help, please post.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:21 PM
I thought that the whole motors not breaking in properly with synth was a myth... and that the new synth blends were fine for use even in new motors...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:24 PM
the 2.0 eco s/c motor , the vettes , saab's and alot of other cars out there get mobil 1 from day 1

if i remember right even the new Z06 7.0 is broke in on mobil 1

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:03 PM
If you have oil dripping out of the exhaust theres more than just blow by going on. I would check the valve seals first siiince this can be done without disassembly. If disassembly is ness. check and make sure the ring gaps are still off-set. Also check the head gasket and head.
Syn. oils won't prevent the rings from seating, it will just take longer, and even with std. oil will take more than 57 miles. Normally it will take any where from 2-500 miles to seat rings and get proper break-in depending on driving.
The best thing you can do for a fresh engine is run a non-detergent oil for the first 50 miles or so and than use std. oil of appropriate wt. for the remainder of break-in period.
After that your free to use the oil of your choice.
Hope this helps.

brien
89 Z24
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:37 PM
my engine did the same thing when i rebuilt it.....never figured out what happened to this day.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:42 PM
Dan Morrison wrote:my engine did the same thing when i rebuilt it.....never figured out what happened to this day.

did it go away or is it still there?

and i did go through and check my valve stem seals and head gasket....i even put new seals on to make sure. ill try that @!#$ first and hopefully it will go away after about 150 or so miles. i have another problem also but i will worry about that tommorow.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:35 PM
nope...didnt go away. i gave up on that car for now. it just sits in my garage.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:23 PM
well i fixed the problem...i let the oil drain out for like 35 hours and put in straight 30 wieght oil in it (not synthetic) and it stoped the leaking and smoking in like 4 or 5 min. it runs grat now. all i have to do is put about 500 miles on it so i can put the turbo on!!!
i would try that on your car and see what happens. it worked great on mine and change the fuel filter.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:25 PM
fuel filter? i ment oil filter! stupid me!
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:09 PM
Interesting.... i'll be rebuilting mine next month and dont want to screw it up.
so 500 mile with straight 30, then 5w-30 synthetic and your ok??

Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:40 AM
Glad to hear that worked out for you, must have been kinda scary.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:19 PM
hell yea it was scary...if it didnt work i would have to take the motor apart again!! and that would suck!

i wouldnt use synthetic until at least 1k miles. you dont want to take a chance and mess something up. but everything has turned out ok so far...its a little thick to go through the oil line to my pressure guage but i know its all good. ill post some pics of my car later.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search