pulleys, header, cat - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pulleys, header, cat
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:58 AM
ok i need someone to tell me how it is. if we use a smaller pulley on the alternator wouldnt it spin fast, just like on a bike , the smaller sprocket turns the rear wheel faster right so why wouldnt it turn the alternator faster? has anyone tried to drill holes and cut out part of the stock pulleys ? would this even help on performance? also what do yall think of this type of header obx 4-1 . also who makes a good cat and are the bosch o2 senors any good or is there a better brand that is still on the cheap side of things.

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG

Re: pulleys, header, cat
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:04 AM
one last thing what type of header will keep my powerband within stock rpm range? i would like for the car to pull the hardest from 4k-6k

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:42 AM
a 4-1 will give you the best power gains in the 4-6K range... a 4-2-1 will give you a more even gain across the entire rpm range but will cost you 2x as much...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:10 AM
don't drill holes in your pullets as it might throw of the balance(been there, done that), as far as high flow cats, they are basically all the same(w/ few exceptions) and go w/ the 4-2-1 header as it will divide your power more evenly. but like stated above, will cost u a little more, sometimes twice as much

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:32 AM
so am i right about the alternator pulley being smaller and making more power . and what about the 4-1 long tube header types . are they any good? i dont ever hear much about them . thanks for the advice on the hole drilling thing.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:00 PM
Your alternator has a max amp output. So by going to a smaller pulley, you would not gain any extra amps out of it. It would also create more work for your motor to spin the alt faster, thus creating less horsepower. If you were to lighten the alt pulley, you would gain power, or install a larger alt pulley, or a smaller/lighter crank pulley.

Personally I'd go with a lightened crank pulley, and lightened alt pulley.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search