Enie meany miney moe.... which exhaust?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Enie meany miney moe.... which exhaust??
Monday, February 27, 2006 3:45 PM
Im lookin for a really good cat and i am gonna be boostin(as soon as i get the money) and i was wondering wether i should get the megan 2.5in cat kit or go to a shop and have one bent with an apexi muffler. Also iv heard 2 sides of the same story and i was wondering would a 2.5" cat be too free flow for my setup or would it be just right or what and i was alos looking for a sound clip of the megan if anyone could help

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers

Re: Enie meany miney moe.... which exhaust??
Monday, February 27, 2006 4:23 PM
Go buy a high flow cat, muffler(your choice) and a resonator(your choice) and also get some mandrel bent pipes(stainless preferably). Take them to an exhaust shop and get them to weld your set up. If you want a full stainless exhaust that will last a long time get some straight 304 stainless piping also. 2.5" should do the trick but if you rboosting may as well go with 3". Thats what im doing.

Monday, February 27, 2006 7:30 PM
If you're gonna boost, perhaps go with a custom 2.5" or 3.0", whichever you prefer. The Megan system sounds awesome, there's a whole 5-page thread about it, and it seems incredible. There is one thing about it that may make it not good for boost...
funkz24 wrote:I have email Megan Racing before about this exhaust. They do make it and it is 2.5 inches but narrows to 2.25 where it attaches to the cat.
So it seems it does narrow to the size of a regular N/A cat-back system (2.25") near the flange.

Custom 2.5" is OK while you're N/A, but not optimal like a 2.25", and does hurt low-end power just a bit and adds power way up in the high-end. If that's OK with you, go for it, and it will be even better when you boost. I'd still push you toward not doing a cat-back for now and save that money for when you are boosted, then just go for the full 3" custom cat-back all in one shot. You'll be limited in performance before boost w/ the stock system, but it'll be worth it not having wasted money on a cat-back that's bad for boost, which should be your primary focus.

Hope all that made sense, I'm a little sleepy

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:39 AM
ya it made sense and i called megan, i wrote in the post and their exhaust is 2.5 ID all the way through from the flange to the muffler thanx guys, i just cant stand that stock exhaust!! i figureg the megan would work b/c its 2.5 and when i boost i have 3 friends and a girl friend who all drive cavy's so.... one more thing what would 3" do on an N/A with CA intake???

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:08 PM
Kill your motor... Nah j/k... you will notice a sizabe drop in HP & torque from my understanding...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Friday, March 03, 2006 12:37 PM
so the megan would be a good choice for now then??

Friday, March 03, 2006 12:52 PM
John VanCuran wrote:so the megan would be a good choice for now then??
Absolutely.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search