Ecotec n/a Dyno session results/pictures/video - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec n/a Dyno session results/pictures/video
Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:47 PM
well today was the first CNFX dyno day of the year...

I just recently swapped an ecotec into my 2002 cavalier and I was impressed with my runs...

my mods at time of dyno:

intake
cat back exhaust
rksport upper motor mount
rksport lower motor mount
prothane transmission mounts
fidanza flywheel
SPEC stage 3 clutch

I did 5 pulls... 3 with the 2004 ecu, and 2 with the 2003 ecu.. the 2003 ecu had a better air fuel ratio, but my power was in the same vicinity the entire time

my best run was 141hp and 145tq

and some random pics of the skwirl...

the awesome 333hp turbo 2.4 VBZ

comments welcome on the numbers...

here's the vid... COMPUTER ERROR GAVE FALSE READINGS AT FIRST THE POWER MENTIONED IN THE VIDEO IS NOT WHAT I PUT DOWN

and movie maker will not edit the video... so this is raw footage

RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS
SKwirl on dyno 3rd gear pull... 141hp 145tq

Re: Ecotec n/a Dyno session results/pictures/video
Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:51 PM
Good numbers man! I hope you enjoy that nice new motor
Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:52 PM
did phil go, or matt, or zeke

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:52 PM
Congrats Peej , it must feel nice seeing all that hard work put down some nice numbers ...

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:53 PM
Quote:

Scotty B (Teh Black Penguin) Online
Today 8:52 PM

did phil go, or matt, or zeke

phil wasn't there

i dunno matt or zeke, but I was the only person who dynoed and I was there from 2 until about 430

Tony's uber cool i love that guy!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:54 PM
pretty nice numbers

Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:02 PM
For the record, testing the 03 ecu was inconclusive.... since its an automatic ecu, from a grand am, we're pretty sure it was probably in limp mode, possibly pulling timing.... so, were it an 03 manual cav ecu, it MAY have had different results. But we won't know unless we test one, which we probably won't. Timing pull would seem to explain the very erratic power curves for the 03 ecu.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:15 PM
those are some nice number!!! Me want clutch and flywheel!!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:15 PM
Damn, who's 333HP cavy is that?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:23 PM
tony from CNFX owns the VBZ

it made like 333hp and 330 tq or some crap with a t3/t4 on a built motor with 8.5:1 compression

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:23 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Damn, who's 333HP cavy is that?

Tony's the owner of CNFX

Good numbers PJ you traitor

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:08 PM
nice Peej!

yeah thats tony's and thats with only an safc and fmu.. wait till he goes standalone

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:43 PM
Good numbers.

Bout' what mine put down. 141hp 140tq max

Sunday, February 12, 2006 1:55 AM
awsome job..... nice step up from the 2200 for sure....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:42 AM
Nice dyno PJ. Much better than the OHV

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:14 AM
OHV > ECO
traitor

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:44 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:For the record, testing the 03 ecu was inconclusive.... since its an automatic ecu, from a grand am, we're pretty sure it was probably in limp mode, possibly pulling timing.... so, were it an 03 manual cav ecu, it MAY have had different results. But we won't know unless we test one, which we probably won't. Timing pull would seem to explain the very erratic power curves for the 03 ecu.

What makes you think the computer was in limp mode? Did you have a scanner hooked to it reading timing? Just wondering.

Nice numbers.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:52 AM
the 2003 ecu we used is out of a grand am and its for an automatic car

so when its plugged in, the car idles very low and stumbles, my fuel gauge doesn't work, my airbag light is on, my check engine light is on, my check gages light is on and I think thats it...

I have 10 codes thrown when that ecu is in.. all related to the automatic transmission not there

there's a lot of info in a small area on the graph its difficult to make out whats what... but I made the 141hp and 145tq pull on the 04 ecu

that doesn't make too much sense since the 04ecu air fuel is a lot leaner than the 03 ecu air fuel...

2004 ecu ~ 14.7:1 air fuel
2003 ecu ~ 13.8:1 air fuel

avg for 04 ecu runs = 136hp 142tq
avg for 03 ecu runs = 135hp 138tq

the erratic pulls could be the 03 ecu pulling timing as a result of not seeing the transmission... it just doesn't make sense that with a much better n/a air fuel ratio I'm making consistently less power and torque

I'm going to have to find another 2003 ecu for a Jbody / manual and test with that... maybe even a 2002 ecu since I know for a fact they have open loop programming

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:57 AM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:I made the 141hp and 145tq pull on the 04 ecu

that doesn't make too much sense since the 04ecu air fuel is a lot leaner than the 03 ecu air fuel...

the erratic pulls could be the 03 ecu pulling timing as a result of not seeing the transmission... it just doesn't make sense that with a much better n/a air fuel ratio I'm making consistently less power and torque
You're saying you think the car should make more power with the lower a/f? I'd have to disagree...

fortune cookie say:
Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:11 AM
OHV notec wrote:
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:I made the 141hp and 145tq pull on the 04 ecu

You're saying you think the car should make more power with the lower a/f? I'd have to disagree...[/quote

I was under the impression 13.5:1 air fuel is optimum for all motor performance. You're saying that isn't right?

]

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:11 AM
stupid Quote button

Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:25 AM
Car Craft wrote:
Car craft
We mentioned the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio (14.7:1) that is the ideal ratio for lowest emissions, but this isn't the best ratio for power. It used to be that 12.5:1 was considered the best power ratio, but with improved combustion chambers and hotter ignition systems, the ideal now is around 12.8:1 to 13.2:1. This is roughly 13 parts of air to one part fuel. It's what combustion engineers call an excess fuel ratio and is intended to ensure that all the air is used to support the combustion process. This is because air is the oxidizer in combustion.

I just want to make sure I understand you notec, you're saying I should be making more power with 14.7:1 air fuel and not 13.8:1?

because like the car craft thing says, I always thought around 13.5:1 (apparently 13.2:1 now) is optimum for maximum n/a performance... therefore the closer I get to it, I should be making more power. My results on the dyno don't follow that theory which is why it must be pulling timing or something... 14.7 to 13.8 is a pretty big jump

my runs were all in a row, so the car could have been getting heat soaked, and the adaptives for the 03 ecu might not have been learned yet... who knows there's a lot of issues that could have played into effect

but I'm confident that when I get Megasquirt installed and add more pulsewidth to the injectors and get my a/f ratio down to around 13.2-13.5 to 1 I'll see a nice increase in power with no other modifications.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 5:14 PM
hmmm, I always just heard you want to shoot for 14.7:1 on an NA engine. Oh well.

fortune cookie say:
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:02 PM
OHV notec wrote:hmmm, I always just heard you want to shoot for 14.7:1 on an NA engine. Oh well.

No, all the info I have ever been told and the info I have learned that "generally speaking" boosted applictions like 12.0 to 12.5 and NA 13.2 - 13.5's

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:22 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:the 2003 ecu we used is out of a grand am and its for an automatic car

so when its plugged in, the car idles very low and stumbles, my fuel gauge doesn't work, my airbag light is on, my check engine light is on, my check gages light is on and I think thats it...

I have 10 codes thrown when that ecu is in.. all related to the automatic transmission not there

there's a lot of info in a small area on the graph its difficult to make out whats what... but I made the 141hp and 145tq pull on the 04 ecu

I'm going to have to find another 2003 ecu for a Jbody / manual and test with that... maybe even a 2002 ecu since I know for a fact they have open loop programming

So you have no real proof that the car was in limp mode??

Also I have always known it to be for na cars the leaner the meaner (meaning more power).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search