The source of my rattling - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The source of my rattling
Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:43 PM
well I finally got smart and realized what it was.

The stock exhaust mount, the one at the rear with the little rubber piece.

the play in the whole thing allows for my exhaust to shake and rattle. Anyone have a solution for me? I keep envisioning some sort of solid mount but that would probably break causing problems later on down the road.

I was thinking also placing another exhaust mount somewhere along the line to make the exhaust more stable so it doesn't rattle as much, but where I will put it/hang it is still left to be decided.

input anyone?

Re: The source of my rattling
Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:50 PM
This is my idea.

10000 hours in MS Paint

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:43 PM
hey Rodney i have the same problem on my 03 cavalier. I see you have an aftermarket exhaust setup but i still get horrible squeeking/rattling when the car is idling coming from the exhaust/muffler area. its not even funny how the thing started to squeek like 2 months after my warranty was up. that setup should help. i had no clue there was only one hanger. (haven't checked under there in a while)
Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:18 PM
Inari wrote:This is my idea.

10000 hours in MS Paint

I got one installed like in the picture, my exhaust was touching the body at the "downpipe" when I was turning. This resolve my problem and still there!!!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:24 PM
Amazing! The graphics are spectacular!

I had the same issue on my cav, although my only sollution at the time was to tack weld temp brackets to frame to the pipe from opposing sides.
It worked and is still holding up.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:15 PM
alright. I'll get a new hanger welded where that last bend is. Any other suggestions?

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:16 PM
correction. Second to last bend, where the arrow is pointing,

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:46 PM
Guess who's stayed at his appartement and is bored right now (yeah I got outside jacked the car and took pics.... ) A shiny exhaust can get pretty ugly once Québec salt meet it!!

P.S. I HATE WINTER LOOK AT THE NICE SALT!!!!

Hope it help!!!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:58 PM
just e-mailed the guy that does my welding. he just needed something to go off for reference. Yes it helps

Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:06 PM
Da Ghost (Qc) wrote:

Definitely loving the white walls!

Oh, and the paintshop pic!!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:24 AM
lol, when my mom got her car in 96 it rattled a month after it came off the lot and the car was brand new. Got it fixed and it just started doing it again a month ago.

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search