engine grounding - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine grounding
Saturday, February 11, 2006 1:42 PM
just wondering the effects of this. is it really worth doing? and also if anyone has a pics of it done or being done on a 2.4 would help a ton. im looking at doing this on my 01 z.

Re: engine grounding
Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:25 PM
Might want to consider doing the Big 3 that the audio forum has posted up recently.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:49 PM
i got a grounding kit and it came with the wires and stuff, it also came with a round piece that the wires connect to. now the searches ive done and seen show just wires running from each of the 5 or so points that are to be grounded. with this round thing, where does it attach to? im thinking the frame. and am i better off doing the big 3, or running from all the points ive seen in the searches?
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:06 PM
The grounding kits that look like this int he pic below are crap.

A proper grounding kits is either 8 gauge or 4 guage wire set up end to end connecting your towers, engine, transmission, and negitve side of your battery. Some peopel ground the Alt too, but thats just another part of the big 3.

I make ultraground kits, Kinda the same thing as hyperground but about half the price.
Or you can make your own for about $30.

BTW, you will find alot on NONE BELIEVERS about grounding kits, and those are the people who have not tried it.

Average results are:

* brighter headlight
* easier startups
* better idle
* clearer bass

SOME PEOPLE HOWEVER get better gas mileage and a horsepower increase, Though its rare.

The latest TORBO magizine talks about grounding kits and even say they work, but they really dont know why, because its against Ohms law.

Here is a pic of the ones i made for Ryan Shissler for free.

Save our Environment, Plant a bush back in texas.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:10 PM
BTWm correction:

TURBO magizine

and if you do a search on hypergrounding, there are alot of posts and arguements on it, And i have points that no one has yet to discredit. coughwarforumcough.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=hypergrounding&globalsearch=1&match=1&date=0&threadtype=&fldsubject=1

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:14 PM
ok. i only got the kit cause i figured id just use the wires. didnt know if that plate would make a dif or not. el fuego, what do you personally think about this mod?
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:31 PM
Personally its well worth it. Any thing that makes the car idle better and start up easier is a plus for me. Which by the way is even better with the yellow top battery.

YOu might as well do the big 3 at the same time, because all you are doing then is the normal hypergrounding, Grounding the alt, a better ground for the battery, and a power wire striaght from the alt to the battery with at least a 150 amp fuse in the middle.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:33 PM
thanks for the help on this. i appreciate it
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:34 PM
BTW the rotor idea is bad because current will always take the shortest path, so if they are all connected to the same point, there really is no shortest path.

besides, the stock grounds on the car are only 3 in the engine bay, and 4 for the rest of the car. And just to tell you, your rear lights are grounded 6ft away under the driver seat.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:37 PM
ive seen the post on how to ground all the stuff, but are you saying i need to hit all these points? and the tail lights too? do you think you could list all the points and where they go that i should do? sorry for being dumb about this but i wanna do things right the first time.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:46 PM
Left tower to point on engine, point on engine to right tower, right tower to negitive of battery, negitive of battery to battery tray and enginem and engine to transmission.

Big 3 consists of ground from bolt holding alt in palce to frame, Battery ground explained above, and a power wire with fuse from alt to positive side of battery.

I have a diagram for my 2200 somewhere im trying to find it for you to give you an idea.

Also talk too arnjolt i believe is his name.

If i spelt your name wrong, My humbliest apologies, my comp is loading very slow, so its taking a long to for me to search for you.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:50 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:BTW the rotor idea is bad because current will always take the shortest path,

not quite true....current takes all paths, otherwise parallel circuits wouldn't work...but most current will take the lowest resistance path and the rest of the current will take the other path(s)

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:58 PM
current will ALWAYS take the easier path, it's lazy...

Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:04 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:
The latest TORBO magizine talks about grounding kits and even say they work, but they really dont know why, because its against Ohms law.

they were probably paid to say they work.....grounding kits can't increase efficiency according to ohms law, unless you have a higher than stock output alternator. anyone who has gotten a gain from them, most likely got the gain because their stock wires were corroded or the attachment point was messed up, IE paint, dirt, oil ect. ect. on the frame where the cable hooks in.

now on the taillight thing....that is a little odd...usually they don't make ground wires more than 3 feet, but it doesn't matter really, usually grounds are shorter only to save weight/wire it grounds to the chassis anyways, to return to the battery.....in theory if you wanted you could ground every single accessory on the car to the battery and have no problems, because all your car is is just a huge DC circuit.....planes and cars arent all that different as far as wiring is concerned, and on some planes, their frame is mostly composite material, so no chassis to ground to, because its all carbon fiber or fiberglass...well on those planes they run all their ground wires back to the battery, your car is the same way, it would just be kinda stupid to run all that extra wire

what point did you have that havent been discredited? i forget

anyways, grounding kits don't work (assuming stock connections are clean and proper), if you know a little something on DC circuitry you'd realize that. the only reason i could ever see to do a grounding kit is if you install a higher amperage alternator, or just want to make your engine bay look nicer.....I'll admit, the big cables do look nice, especially when you get em in nice colors

and one day, when im really bored and have extra money, im gonna measure the current, voltage, and resistance of the cars circutiry before and after a grounding kit, just to hopefully end this once and for all. or who knows......mabey i'll find out that cars have a magic power to bend the laws of electricity

Hail Satan

Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:10 PM
Quote:

We will see, as i said its against OHMS law, but it works on all cars from pinto's to vipers, all cars seem to have some effect even cars with less then 10 miles on them straight from factory.

Maybe it works cause OEM wire sux especially when you Upgrade the ground wires with 99% Oxygen free wires.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:10 PM
Da Ghost (Qc) wrote:current will ALWAYS take the easier path, it's lazy...

no it won't MOST of the current will take the path of less resistance, but some of it will take the other paths

if you had 2 lightbulbs wired in parallel and current took the path of least resistance, then one bulb would not illuminate because current would go down the path with the least amount of wire....because wire has resistance (a very very small amount). but do parallel circutis work that way....NO both bulbs will light up because current takes all paths, just more current goes down the least restrictive path

its like an interstate with a side road running (parrallel circuit) alongside it....cars (current) will flow down both roads, but a lot more of them will take the interstate (lower resistance)

Hail Satan

Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:15 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:
Quote:

We will see, as i said its against OHMS law, but it works on all cars from pinto's to vipers, all cars seem to have some effect even cars with less then 10 miles on them straight from factory.

Maybe it works cause OEM wire sux especially when you Upgrade the ground wires with 99% Oxygen free wires.

hmm, you know, i haven't thought of the quality of the wire, you gotta realize, im an aircraft electrician, we only use the highest quality wires...i suppose if the wire was manufactured in a condition to where the wires could have been exposed to an oxidizing agent it would mess them up.....lemme look into who makes the most automotive wires.

Hail Satan

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:02 PM
hmm, well, after seeing some pics of a cross section of the stock wires and high quality wire, mabey there is some benefit to replacing the wires.

it just never crossed my mind to think of the quality of the wire, again, coming from an aircraft background, all wire we use is top quality, quality is never a concern...aparantly in the automotive world, wire is the last thing on the budget....when looking at the cross section of the stock wire, you can see how nasty the copper strands are, theyre already oxodizing....and oxidization increases resistance.

so, ok these kits may have some use after all.......but it IS NOT due to the size of the wire, it is due to the fact that GM uses extremely @!#$ty wire.

Hail Satan

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:07 PM
so ok, the end result is this...

I have now changed my opinion and think that there may be some validity in these grounding kits

but the makers of them are still wrong, as they all claim the increase in performance is due to the larger wire, but infact it is due to the higher quality wire

Hail Satan

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:16 PM
mikec2003 wrote:so ok, the end result is this...

I have now changed my opinion and think that there may be some validity in these grounding kits

but the makers of them are still wrong, as they all claim the increase in performance is due to the larger wire, but infact it is due to the higher quality wire

Correct.

This is why i used 8 gauge when i did mine, while everyone here wants the 4 gauge.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:19 PM
guess thats why aircraft wire is so expensive and automotive is so cheap well guess its time to raid the electronics locker at school for some 8 gauge wire

Hail Satan

Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:05 AM
I bought one of those grounding kits also for my 2.4. I wired a ground straight from my coil ground under the top cover and just any other ground i could find. I did eave all the other grounds hooked up just in case because as we all know electricity takes the easyest path right so it may be better to leave the origional ground as well as put th e new one. I could be wrong here tho. But anyway I Noticed a little of a diffrence and for the price I think its well worth it!

I bought it off ebay with the voltage regulator, can't say that the regulator did too much but oh well To me the ground kit was worth the 40 bucks or whatever it was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:07 AM
yeah, when hooking these up, you may as well leave the stock wires hooked up too, it won't hurt anything

Hail Satan

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search