2200 head port and polish - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 head port and polish
Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ported and polished a 2200 motor? Mine is a 2001 2200 engine. I cant find any info on the board about it when i searched just wondering if anyone has done it and if so was there any noticable difference in performance.

Thanks
craig

Re: 2200 head port and polish
Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:19 AM
I have. The gains were so so, works better with other mods.

Save our Environment, Plant a bush back in texas.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:20 AM
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:08 AM
Did you do it yourself or hire someone? If you did it yourself, did you need special equipment or new parts? forgive me i'm clueless, but I'm very interested in this type of thing.

I am also interested in polishing intake manifolds/throttle bodies. i've been told this could help a bit, but i've never heard of anyone doing it. Any experiences in here?

Sadly, no more..
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:40 AM
If you want a nice professional ported and polished cylinder head, contact Patriot Performance, they sell them for a decent price but it's just a ported head, no other cylinder head parts like springs, retainers etc. You can buy the other valvetrain parts from Jbody Performance.

Doing this will unlock a good amount of power because the OHVs main restrictor is the cylinder head...plus you guys only have 8 valves so you have to do the best you can with it. Also, because you have only 8 valves, you have less parts to buy than say an average DOHC motor which usually is 16 valves (example: the ECOTECs and 2.4 Twin Cam motors), so this head job shouldn't be that costly on your part.

If you have more questions, just ask.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:16 AM
google 'standard abrasives' if you're interested in doing it yourself (it's really not that hard, as long as you have some patience).

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:19 PM
hey guys, sorry to interrupt but i had to ask since we're sorta on the topic...

Quote:

If you want a nice professional ported and polished cylinder head, contact Patriot Performance, they sell them for a decent price but it's just a ported head, no other cylinder head parts like springs, retainers etc

i heard some good things about the patriot performance head and this summer i'm really considering buying it with a jbp valvetrain and crane roller rockers. anyways, im just curius if anybody knows if the head is gonna be ecu friendly and not throw codes left and right. and i was also kinda wondering if my engine will run right using a stock cam with this head?
Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:26 PM
cranston wrote:i heard some good things about the patriot performance head and this summer i'm really considering buying it with a jbp valvetrain and crane roller rockers. anyways, im just curius if anybody knows if the head is gonna be ecu friendly and not throw codes left and right. and i was also kinda wondering if my engine will run right using a stock cam with this head?
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go this route. If you want to know why, search for the '2200 power record' thread and head to page 5. Take a look at what problems the JBP valvetrain will have trying to use the Crane rockers.
Although, as stated in there, you may be okay as long as you switch out the keepers to a -.050" style, or just use the stock rockers. You can then have the cam reground for the extra lift.
You will also want to get the upgraded lifters with this setup.

fortune cookie say:
Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:45 PM
cranston wrote:hey guys, sorry to interrupt but i had to ask since we're sorta on the topic...

Quote:

If you want a nice professional ported and polished cylinder head, contact Patriot Performance, they sell them for a decent price but it's just a ported head, no other cylinder head parts like springs, retainers etc

i heard some good things about the patriot performance head and this summer i'm really considering buying it with a jbp valvetrain and crane roller rockers. anyways, im just curius if anybody knows if the head is gonna be ecu friendly and not throw codes left and right. and i was also kinda wondering if my engine will run right using a stock cam with this head?

Ported Heads usually aren't the culprates of thrown codes. I know I have a ported head (different motor though) and no codes thrown. I also know people with their 2200s ported and no codes as well.

Monday, February 13, 2006 9:35 AM
I have a spare head if you are intersted hit me up with an e-mail.........

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/importkilla32/Bullit.JPG
Monday, February 13, 2006 12:44 PM
NJHK, thanks for the help dude

OHV notec, know of any other good valvetrains for the 2200 that would work with the crane roller rockers? if not then i'll take your word and go with the -.050" keepers. and thanks for giving me warning about those rockers arms

Monday, February 13, 2006 4:34 PM
cranston wrote:NJHK, thanks for the help dude

OHV notec, know of any other good valvetrains for the 2200 that would work with the crane roller rockers? if not then i'll take your word and go with the -.050" keepers. and thanks for giving me warning about those rockers arms

No problem.

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:13 PM
cranston wrote:NJHK, thanks for the help dude

Check out the recent 2200 valvespring thread. The stock springs will handle .480" lift, which is pretty much all the head would be able to flow anyway. Unless you're building a drag engine, don't worry about springs/retainers/locks. The extra pressure required would just eat up the engine's power anyway.

fortune cookie say:
Monday, February 13, 2006 11:39 PM
Quote:

Check out the recent 2200 valvespring thread. The stock springs will handle .480" lift, which is pretty much all the head would be able to flow anyway. Unless you're building a drag engine, don't worry about springs/retainers/locks. The extra pressure required would just eat up the engine's power anyway.

i read into that thread a few pages, i havent quite had enough time yet to get through the whole thing, but eventually i will.

i do think i've figured out for sure what i wanna do this summer (after i finish my intake and exhaust). It will end up being the patriot performance head, possibley carcustoms.net stainless valves, and crane/comp roller rockers with stock springs, locks, and retainers. does that sound like a good setup?
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:12 AM
When I called Patriot Performance they told me the head was for the '97 and earlier 2.2L. Not the newer 2200.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:18 AM
cranston wrote:

i do think i've figured out for sure what i wanna do this summer (after i finish my intake and exhaust). It will end up being the patriot performance head, possibley carcustoms.net stainless valves, and crane/comp roller rockers with stock springs, locks, and retainers. does that sound like a good setup?

I'm not an expert at this stuff like OHV notec, but that sounds like it will work just fine. If you do decide to do a cam also, you might have to change some things, or just do a mild cam.

i'm doing the same set-up minus the patriot head, i'm p&p my own.. and everything else is in the mail

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:40 PM
As VK is doing, look into porting your own head. A mild port job is really very easy, and can be done with a Dremel if you wanted to (don't get too aggressive with it though, I've already burnt up 3 motors on my V6 heads). Like I said earlier "standard abrasives".
As far as your proposed valvetrain setup, that would be adequate for a street motor, especially if you're looking to boost (CRANE ROCKERS, Comp's aren't really beneficial to the 2200). But, like Dustin said, PP doesn't offer a 2200 head, so port your own

fortune cookie say:
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:13 PM
For you guys that have ported and polished, did you encounter any fuel issues with the added airflow?
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:18 PM
that patriot performance head is for the pre-98 2.2 ohv's!?

so yea i guess ill be porting my stock head then (atleast i'll save some money). well ill probably have a shop do it since i know some people who know what their doing. im sure it cant be that hard of a job but i really don't trust myself taking a dremel to something as important as my engine head.

so i guess its a plan then for this summer: p&p stock head, carcustoms valves, and crane roller rockers.

and then i'll be blowin' the doors off LS1's.
just kidding.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:21 AM
If you want to learn how to port heads in general read Davis Vizard's How to Build chevy small blocks on a budget, or any other slew of books like that. There are books on porting heads and most heads are the same in general....a port or two and a valve. Dont take out much just smooth things up a bit. Smooth the exhaust side and leave the intake side a little rough.

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:24 AM
I called patriot, and yeah they said the 2.2 was for pre 97, but he also said he'd make one for me, it would just take about a month. At least i hope thats what hes doing...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 3:21 AM
Cory Forson wrote:I called patriot, and yeah they said the 2.2 was for pre 97, but he also said he'd make one for me, it would just take about a month. At least i hope thats what hes doing...

That sucks...I don't know why they would start with the 95-97 heads when most people want to modify the 98-2002 2200 Heads...weird.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:22 AM
cory, did he give you a price?
Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:11 AM
yeah he said it would be the same, about $740 total after shipping, i got the assembled head.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search