SHORT RAM - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SHORT RAM
Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:47 AM
Ok when its like 3 degress out, would it be better to have the stock air box on my 2000 Chevy cavalier, or put my short ram intake on, its one of the ones that hooks to the black box...workin on custiomixing it but no time now. SO tell me what you tihink when its cold out, short ram on or off

thanks

PowerPlayer
1963 Buick LeSabre, 401 Nail-head. Soon to be turbo powered.

Re: SHORT RAM
Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:49 AM
Kyle Mackey wrote:Ok when its like 3 degress out, would it be better to have the stock air box on my 2000 Chevy cavalier, or put my short ram intake on, its one of the ones that hooks to the black box...workin on custiomixing it but no time now. SO tell me what you tihink when its cold out, short ram on or off

thanks

PowerPlayer
1963 Buick LeSabre, 401 Nail-head. Soon to be turbo powered.

It doesnt matter. Actaully the colder the air the more power you get but also the more fuel you use, regardless if you go with stock or a WAI.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:14 PM
of course it will be better. anything is better than stock, stock is just too restrictive.... u should just buy a CAI...
Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:42 PM
TBWJ 21 wrote:of course it will be better. anything is better than stock, stock is just too restrictive.... u should just buy a CAI...

NO.

a CAI is a waste of money, you get the same gains with a WAI, for less money. And you wont have to clean the filter as often.

I do agree that anything is better then stock, MOST of the time. If your stock intake is in place at the moment, Its perfectly fine to wait till it warms up for a WAI install. But for clarification, An intake is an intake is an intake. The temps dont matter.

Also another reason to not waste your money is if you live in a perticulaly wet area, Like i live near the shore on an island, I never want to even put my car in a position where hydrolock can occure.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:53 PM
I live in Colorado, not much rain, but a lot of snow. And yeah, here, CAIs make a little more difference than WAIs, but not in the summer time. But yeah, your right, there isnt a huge difference. but because of the longer tubing the CAI makes a lower sound, so it sounds better.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:54 PM
and another thing, the short ram is positioned right behind the batter box or whatever. while the CAI goes down under that and right near that opening in your front bumper where a lot of air goes in........
Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:14 PM
CAI will show better results if you have been driving for more then 30 minutes.......wait tell that engine warms up and the temp. of air your getting on a short ram compared to the air on the full CAI which will be the same temp air and therefore better......I dont get me started on hydrolock, its not gonna happen, unless you plan to use your car as a boat.

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:18 PM
Boorad wrote:CAI will show better results if you have been driving for more then 30 minutes.......wait tell that engine warms up and the temp. of air your getting on a short ram compared to the air on the full CAI which will be the same temp air and therefore better......I dont get me started on hydrolock, its not gonna happen, unless you plan to use your car as a boat.

If you lived near me, you could easily hydrolock your car with a CAI. Streets flood here with just a light sprinkle. Ive driven through 18"s of water just getting out of my driveway.

You submerge your filter, your gonna sux water. simple as that.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:44 PM
Yeah that I can understand, if your in conditions where your filter is submerge under water then obviously,,,,,but a lot of ppl think just a rain fall will do it.

either way doesnt matter, ppl are going to beleive what they want and some will take a risk all in all there is not a big difference in the 2 when it comes to power, I like the sound of mine not too mention it is legal where the wai is not. they both have there pros and cons, luckly its only a cheap bolt on

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:57 PM
Yup, I've driven through some nasty puddles and no problems whatsoever, as long as you have inner fender liners then the AEM is gonna be fine. Not to mention its so agressive sounding... I love my AEM

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:03 PM
Yup your right, my intake doesnt sound too loud. Here is the vid i made last week, just incase you havent seen or heard it.

http://media.putfile.com/17-secs-of-boredom

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search