Header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Header
Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:30 AM
Im interested in buying a header for my sunfire, obviously for the power gains but I also wanted to know if installing a header will change the sound of the exhaust. Right now I'm still using the stock exhaust system until its dead then I'll put a better exhaust on. But would a header make the car sound a little deeper?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Header
Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:41 AM
on bone stock exhaust, a header won't change the sound too much... maybe a tiny bit louder... but you won't really get much of a power gain either without changing the cat and exhaust also... maybe 1 or 2 hp max...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:32 AM
Honestly, just go ahead and do the rest of the exhaust. If you're at all interested in any kind of performance gains from any bolt-on mods you do, you're gonna NEED a better exhaust than stock. Retaining any part of the stock exhaust system is likely gonna decimate any power gains you want. For example, I see you already have an intake on that car (which by the way is NOT a "cold air" intake based on the picture, it's a Short Ram intake, there's a huge difference.), but that intake's not really doing anything for you right now. Sure you probably got 1-2HP out of it, but replace your exhaust, and not only will that give you gains my itself, it will really let your intake do it's job. Car can't take more air in through the intake if it can't s**t out more from the exhaust.

What really dusturbs me, is that in your profile it says you have the Jet PCM in your Sunfire... get that piece of s**t out of there. Believe it or not, it's not actually giving you any power... that's a totally classic newbie mistake... sorry, but you spent all that money on something that's probably doing more harm than good. Our cars have OBD II computers, which can not be chipped and modified with silly trickery like Jet PCM's and Venom 400 Modules! Read the Performance FAQ Sticky at the top of the Performance page to understand more about why that Jet thing and other items like it are totally worthless. Sell that thing and put that money towards getting yourself an exhaust system.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:46 AM
I'm with Fury, man. Replace the whole exhaust header back, 2.25 or 2.5, and if you're concerned about noise just weld a resonator inline, and that'll take out some of the harshness. But that Jet thing gots ta go. If you really want to tune the stock ecu, either spring for a reflash or pick up an SAFC and maybe an MSD ignition, and go from there. Those are the only ways to get more from a factory ECU that actually work.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:27 PM
Yea I just keep it in cuz its cold right now, its makes the car run horrible when its cold so I have it off, but when its warm i notice a little bit of a difference when accelerating but not enough of a diffrence for the 200 bucks or whatever I spent! oh well. My thinking on the header was, im taking my engine out soon to do my clutch so while its out i was gonna take the few minutes to put a header on (save the pissing around later when the engine is in) and wait for the rest of the exhaust to go. after buying a clutch, underbody LED's and fibreglassing the interior im short on cash.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:02 PM
I hope you're not seriously pulling the motor to change a clutch... it's totally unnecessary to pull the motor to change clutch or to put a header on...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:27 PM
Tim wrote:I hope you're not seriously pulling the motor to change a clutch... it's totally unnecessary to pull the motor to change clutch or to put a header on...

Agreed.

That's like pulling off the cylinder head on an DOHC motor to change the cams...not neccesary.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, February 10, 2006 4:38 AM
A header install is pretty easy, no need to remove anything except the factory
cast iron exhaust manifold & tubing to the flange joint. I installed my header
in about 2 hours including welding the downpipe to the exhaust. I did exactly
what you are talking about, installed the header without a full exhaust re-do.
I didn't expect anything out of it because i didn't do the entire exhaust but I got
the header for christmas and had time off from work and was bored, so i put it on.
I removed the resonator while i was under there, didn't notice any improvement in power/gas milage and a tiny bit of exhaust noise increase. Point made by the guys above is 100% correct, only a header without the full exhaust does not net you
anything. FYI - I used a pace setter 4->1 ceramic coated. I also put on an AEM
cold air setup earlier, noticed a little more top end and 2 mpg increase from that.
The factory intake tubing is junk. Good luck.
Re: Header and clutch
Friday, February 10, 2006 11:48 AM
How do you suggest to change the clutch, I've never done them in a FWD before, only in RWD V8's and stuff like that. So to change the clutch would I juts take off the left Fender and take out the transmission from the side? (maybe I should put this in a new post but while we're all here...)

I don't mean to sound like an iddiot here, im fairily mechanicly inclined But never worked on a newer vehicle before lol

and to keep the "header" sunject going, I wasnt sure how mich pissing around id have putting a header in with the motor in, never really looked at how much space was there...

Friday, February 10, 2006 1:45 PM
put the car on a lift. that will help with both installs

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, February 10, 2006 2:44 PM
SunfireGTguy2120 wrote:...and to keep the "header" sunject going, I wasnt sure how mich pissing around id have putting a header in with the motor in, never really looked at how much space was there...
There's not a lot of room back, there, but almost everything that might be in your way like steel lines, dipstick if yours is back there, etc... can be moved out of the way. It's easier than it looks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search